Conform to HD Cameras with Filming capability?

Do you guys think these no SLRs and cameras that boast HD recording are going to destroy the prosumer camera market?

Are you guys going to sell your prosumer cameras and buy these small cameras with HD recording and amazing DOF?

yes. i currently switched all my equipment to fit in with my canon eos 500d which takes amazing video for only 500 pounds. it is worth the hassle i think as it is more portable than something un-dslr which can match quality although the files are quite big

I don't think they are going to destroy the prosumer market. I think they are going to make it better. The new DSLRs are showing that video cameras no longer have to have an adaptor to achieve DOF. There is currently a Panasonic that is being marketed that is going to be able to have primes put on. The Red started the trend and now people are going to follow suit. I think the only reason we haven't seen a Canon video camera come out with the ability to have primes attached is because they don't want to lose out on the other end with their still cameras.

I will buy a new video camera when it has the ability for primes but I won't buy a new DSLR. They just don't seem professional enough to me.

Tangentially related, but and indicator I think...

I spent the last two weeks hustling the most 35mm Adapter I could get for my money. Man, Id hate to be in that business right now. Look at jag35.com. Former TOP lower end 35mm adapter (still probably) but if you check the home page.. the adapters aren't even listed on the first page.. its all DSLR accessories..

http://jag35.com/new/category/products/

if you do an ebay search for higher end 35mm adapters, say letus, youll see many auctions that seem priced too high to sell, and indicator of a shrinking market..

right, the quality of DSLR in a video form factor with interchangeable lenses would capture this indi market pretty quickly, DLSR is mostly there anyway..

on consideration, if they fix the big video issues (compression and jello) then consumer camcorders would lose most all of any of hobby filmmaker market. The whole camcorder form factor might just go away.. flip, iPhones etc are meeting the needs of most casual users.. creative types want the features and would use the DSL form factor IF the big issues went away.. (not based on ANY research, just my casual observations)

I don't think they are going to destroy the prosumer market. I think they are going to make it better. The new DSLRs are showing that video cameras no longer have to have an adaptor to achieve DOF. There is currently a Panasonic that is being marketed that is going to be able to have primes put on. The Red started the trend and now people are going to follow suit. I think the only reason we haven't seen a Canon video camera come out with the ability to have primes attached is because they don't want to lose out on the other end with their still cameras.

I will buy a new video camera when it has the ability for primes but I won't buy a new DSLR. They just don't seem professional enough to me.

I'd agree, what is coming is a generation of prosumer cameras that are built to take inerchangeable lenses. I'm not sold on DSLR either. I had a chance to shoot my last movie on a 5D and chose to shoot it on an HVX200a with a redrock instead. I just don't like them (DSLR), have no interest in them at all.

Back