[Community Project] Sound Design

Here are some questions, notes and suggestions on how to interpret and/or modify the script to maximise the effectiveness of sound design to aid the storytelling. Here's the link again to the draft script for reference.

Scene 1 (EXT. WOODLAND AREA, NIGHT): Are we going to be hearing this dialogue from the perspective of it being recorded on the cellphone along with the cell footage? Or, are we going to be hearing it as if we were there, ie., not as part of the cell footage? If it's the latter, it would be useful to have a minute or two of the sound (ambience) of the woodland scene, preferably in stereo as we might be able to use it in the final mix. Mono is better than nothing but it would then act more as a guide. If recording the ambience in stereo then 30 secs of mono "room tone" in addition to the ambiance would be useful.

Scene 2 (EXT. SAN FRANCISCO BEACH, DAY): A. Beach scenes are usually tricky as far as audio is concerned. The sound of waves breaking/lapping is irregularly rhythmical and so makes decent picture and dialogue editing very difficult/impossible and due to it being broadband noise it is difficult/impossible to remove. In all likelihood this scene will need ADR'íng. B. If possible, get a master-shot of the beach, preferably including one or more of the following: a nearby road/traffic, industrial or commercial dock area, boats, planes, jet skis, bus station/stop, fun fair, bar or indeed anything else which makes a noise! C. Again, if possible, a stereo (preferably) or mono recording of the location for guide purposes would be useful.

Scene 3 (INT. ARTIST’S STUDIO (RICHMOND, VA), DAY): Where is this studio? An urban/city center, in the countryside or a suburb? Is there any possibility of a shot of establishing this location? Is there any possibility of establishing the nearby presence of: a construction site, someone mowing their lawn, a train line/station, airport, school playground, etc?

Scene 4 (EXT. NEAR AUSTERLITZ PYRAMID): A. Again, a recording of the location to act as a guide would be most useful. B. If it's a very quiet location, maybe at some point one or more of the actors could briefly/subtly respond to a sound in the distance, maybe while smoking? If it's not so quiet consider a shot which briefly visually establishes what's causing the sound.

Scene 5 (INT. BEDROOM (WELLINGTON), NIGHT): When looking out of the window, is there a way to very briefly establish the presence of one of the following: a train line/station, transport depot, hospital, factory or any other point of aural interest which operates at night?

Scene 6 (EXT. FOREST AREA, DAY): A: Again an aural guide of the location would be useful. B. Where is this wooded area, is there a distant logging operation? Can we visually establish there is some logging related operation going on in the distance or at least the odd truck/vehicle using the road?

Scene 7 (EXT. OREGON SMALLHOLDING, DAY): Any chance of visually establishing the presence of some running farm machinery when Samuel runs across the yard or in one of the rundown buildings?

These are just suggestions, we don't always need to visually establish the reason for a sound but it does dramatically improve audience believability and in some cases is essential. These suggestions are to allow the logical presence of a background ambience with occasional sounds which can push through that ambience.

For those who maybe unaware, we can vary the level of this ambience (and/or those occasional SFX within it) to add tension, increase the pace/tempo/shape of various parts of each scene, add emphasis to the dialogue, change/affect the aural POV (for example, create an aural link between our "real location" and the location as perceived by a particular character) as well of course as creating a believable aural world beyond just the picture frame. Here's a hypothetical example: Maybe we see a brief distant shot of a saw mill (band saw SFX) and hear the last few words of Vern's phone conversation just before we cut to Scene 7. Now we can add the distant/very distant band saw sound once Vern gets out of his truck. The sound of an operating band saw varies as it goes through thicker/denser wood and it also starts and stops, we can use this to make the action more dramatic; maybe the saw sound dips or even stops when Vern spots the liquid and maybe it starts up again when Vern sniffs and recoils. We're talking about a very distant quiet saw sound here, very subtle, hardly noticeable if you're not specifically listening for it. On the other hand, we might make the saw sound so quiet that it can't be discerned at all from the background ambience or we might leave it out altogether. The point is that we have an aural storytelling tool which we can logically employ (if necessary) once we've seen how the dramatic impact of the scene plays out on screen during/after picture editing.

G

Last edited:
A music recording guy might be more likely to pay attention to what hes hearing.. you know, listening for planes, cars, dogs, fridges as well as understand what a useful level is. Hes likely to know an xlr from a 1/4 inch ..

Iv used plenty of "first time" boom ops and allowing extraneous noises and failing to watch the levels are the most egregious failures.

I must've misread, apologies. I talked to him anyway and he isn't available. I'll head down to the film schools on the weekend (though none of them seem to have any focus on sound, so that's not hopeful) and seek out a few film societies to see if I can find anyone.

Tis. And having met a few of their students, most seem to think Premier Pro's audio control options are pretty sufficient..
There are a few audio houses with location sound units here, but they charge through the nose, so hopefully I can luck out and meet someone with enough interest in both independent filmmaking and location sound.

I'll head down to the film schools on the weekend (though none of them seem to have any focus on sound, so that's not hopeful) and seek out a few film societies to see if I can find anyone.

Another place to try might be a uni which runs a music technology course. Some music tech courses include some basic training in film sound, far from ideal but better than a complete newbie.

WheatG:

1. We're not talking about a music recording engineer, we're talking about a local live sound engineer.
2. There are many issues which are often passable in a live sound situation but would be unacceptable for production sound.
3. With a music recording engineer and to a lesser extent a live sound engineer, the environment and talent are organised/arranged purely around the requirement to get the best audio recording. This is pretty much the opposite approach to film production sound. There are fewer and different noise issues with music recording and live sound and the solutions are also very different.
4. A live sound engineer is likely to be used to analogue equipment rather than used to the levels required for digital film sound.
5. Neither a music engineer nor a live sound engineer are likely to have ever seen a shotgun mic before, let alone ever used one on a boom!
6. Music recording engineers concentrate on tonality and sound colour, if anything this is actually a handicap as far as production sound is concerned.

I could carry on and make further points. I know that many no budget filmmakers often turn to those with music recording/mixing experience because there are loads of them about and nowhere near enough work, so they're relatively easy to find and cheap. But, even someone with minimal film sound experience is usually a better bet and sometimes even conscientious newbies are better. This is because not only are there completely new skill sets to be learnt but some existing skills of the music recording engineer have to, in effect, be unlearned.

G

Production day has arrived.
Your sound guy died in SFX explosion.
There are only two people around who are not already doing critical jobs.
They are:
  • Bill. Bill is a guy who has never used a recorder for any purpose, nor set up a mic.
  • Dave. Dave is a guy who has recorded guitar on his $99 special 4trk in his moms basement, he has a sm57.

Who do you hand the boom and your 4hn too?

Who do you hand the boom and your 4hn too?

Either! If Bill has even the slightest amount more interest or enthusiasm for the role or is slightly more conscientious in general than Dave I'd give the job to Bill because Dave's existing skills/knowledge are almost worthless or at least, are worth less than no knowledge but more enthusiasm or a more conscientious approach.

G

Another place to try might be a uni which runs a music technology course. Some music tech courses include some basic training in film sound, far from ideal but better than a complete newbie.
Alrighty, I'll have a look there as well. On the chance that I actually have a few people to choose from, what sort of questions (besides prior experience) should I be asking to determine if they actually know what they're talking about?

@APE:

I was also wondering about a mic for dialogue: NTG-2 has always worked for me, but I'm open for suggestions.

About Noise-Reduction: I am aware of all the things you say about it. I hardly use it that way, and if I do, very mildly.

I was also wondering about a mic for dialogue: NTG-2 has always worked for me, but I'm open for suggestions.

I'm not a great fan of the NTG-2, especially when it's being powered by battery rather than phantom powered. A far better mic is the NTG-3 but unfortunately it's also quite a step up in price and the same goes for all the other mics which represent a significant step up in quality. Also bare in mind that as you step up in equipment quality you also have to step up the skill level in using in using it, if you're to actually achieve the full extra quality you've paid for. As far as advising lower cost alternatives which are still an improvement over the NTG-2, Alcove has more knowledge of this market segment than me. He's posted plenty on this specific subject on IT, so have a quick search.

G

On the chance that I actually have a few people to choose from, what sort of questions (besides prior experience) should I be asking to determine if they actually know what they're talking about?

To be honest, at this budget level, prior experience and as I've been discussing with Wheat, enthusiasm and attitude are the most important factors. At the professional level, an appreciation of the audio post process is a deciding factor because then the PSM is thinking about recording the production sound in terms of how easy and how usable it will be in the dialogue editing and mixing phases.

For the inexperienced PSM, some basics such as filling in a sound log, not exceeding a peak level of -6dB, not changing the gain levels during a take (an experienced PSM can, an inexperienced PSM shouldn't) and appreciating that noises such as clothes rustling, excessive reverb or echo and electrical noises such as fridge hums or air-con are all very difficult, if not impossible to treat adequately in post. So, given the opportunity and if you feel the need, you could ask questions based on these basics.

G

Maybe it's time to start putting together our requirements for the production sound.

1 - Room Tone

Please, lots and lots of room tone. Makes a huge difference in the dialog edit and the mix.

2 - Logical Audio File Names (I'll assume that this also applies to Video File Names)

000087e8gj9sxp5 doesn't tell us much. For example: Sc4b_Tk3_MCU = Scene Four (4) "B", Take 3, Medium Close-Up.

3 - Sound Report/Audio Logs

Even just the basics are a huge help. The header should include:

Production Title and/or Number
Date
Name of the Production Sound Mixer (the person, not the mixing board!)
Make and Model of the Recorder
Track Format (i.e. mono, dual mono, 2-track, 4-track, 8+2, and so on)
Bit and Sample Rate
Timecode frame rate
Reference Tone Level

Each take should include:

File Name
Scene/Take
Start/End Time Code
Comments

http://filmtvsound.com/index.php/blog/291-log-sheets-sound-reports-header-id

http://www.filmsourcing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Filmsourcing_SoundReport_v1.0.pdf

4 - Ambient Sound Reference

If the ambient sound is important to your location and the story please record a reference. It will not be used in the film, but give the audio post team something on which to base the sound design.

5 - Verbal Slate

A clearly spoken verbal slate with a nice loud smack of the sticks is another huge help for the audio post team, and most especially the dialog editor.

"Scene four B, take three" SMACK!!!!!!!

Anything else you can think of, APE/Greg?

We could even play this out with audio if we wanted to make the location explicit. For example, after recovering for a few seconds from the waking shock, Simon/e reaches over and clicks a sound system remote and we hear; "... anyone listening to Radio Wellington at this ungodly hour, here's something to ease you into the new day"... then there's music which continues over the cuts through the window and Simon/e looking out and when the phone rings s/he reaches over and lowers the volume (or switches off) the radio before answering.
In my search for a PSM/boom op, someone who was intriuged by the project in one of the societies I've been asking around at, has asked if we need any help on the score. I think Mike and Josh already have the score covered, and any more collaborators there could get tricky - but I could ask him if he wants to create some practical/background music for the radio announcer (a fade out of a previous song, radio presenter + b/g radio music, fade into next song - cut).

I haven't gotten back to him yet, so if it's making it too complex/too many cooks in the kitchen, let me know.

Sound Log

Maybe it's time to start putting together our requirements for the production sound...

I actually did some of this in the main thread but I'll cover it again because I've had some time to actually create a custom Sound Log for the different Unit Directors to print out and give to their PSMs. The Sound Log can be downloaded by clicking the following links: Sound Log (MSWord .docx) Sound Log (OpenDoc .odt) Sound Log (PDF format)

Here's a sample completed log with usage instructions below:

SoundLog.gif

FileName: Scene number + segment and take number + shot/angle/camera, for example: "Sc08b-Tk3a" or Scene number + type and description, for example: "Sc08-WildDX-characterName" or "Sc08-WildFX-RummageInBag" or "Sc08-WildAMB-ForestNight" or "Sc08-WildRT".

Trk 1 & 2: This is what is recorded to each of your audio tracks. B = Boom (mono). L = Lav (mono). ST = Stereo (Left and Right). These codes can be cross-referenced with the mics listed in the header section.

Comments:
Any info about the audio contents which would prove useful in post.

O: Circled. "O" = Best take. "X" = Very little if any usable audio. Blank = Contains some usable audio and some problem audio but parts maybe suitable for dialogue substitution/editing.

PLEASE NOTE: It would be nice to get some ambience (WildAMB) tracks and even the odd Sound FX or Foley (WildFX) as per the last 3 sample listings. However, this is not a priority!! The Priority must be the dialogue, the actual takes obviously and the Wild Dialogue (WildDX). Only when you're sure you've got plenty of good quality coverage and options/alt takes should you consider getting any Sound FX!!
Also note that the "Location" and "Date" are in the header of the Sound Log. Therefore, if you are shooting more than one location, please start a new page for the new location. Same applies if you are shooting for more than one day, start a new page for each day.

Lastly: If possible, purely for legibility, please type out the sound log from your PSM's handwritten log into a new log and then submit this log with your audio. If you don't have time, just use your camera or smartphone to photograph your PSM's original log, preferably compile all the photos (if there's more than one page in your sound log) into a PDF rather than a number of individual photos.

BTW, anyone who wants to, please feel free to download and use these sound logs for your own purposes. Bare in mind that they are custom for this project and quite different to the usual sound logs. For example: There are no timecode columns as there would be in a professional sound log, only two Tracks (usually there would be at least 4) and one or two other differences.

G

Is it worth setting up a brief conversation between the PSM's and APE/Alcove?

For this project, probably not: It's probably enough for the PSMs to concentrate on the basics; capturing clean dialogue (and dialogue wilds), recording usable RT and completing the sound logs. It might be a good idea to have your PSMs read Alcove's post above.

JFYI: With studio and high budget indie films the sound designer is employed during pre-production and there is usually a fair amount of communication between PSM and Sound Designer. I won't go into the details of the sorts of things discussed because I don't want to confuse/complicate the issue.

I'm used to working with experienced professional PSMs and so take for granted they already know what's required as far as the basics are concerned. With more experience of inexperienced PSMs, maybe Alcove thinks a conversation with the PSMs is a good idea?

G

Yeah that's all good. I've show my guy the information here already. He asked me to pass on:

"In regards to levels and limiting, would it be possible to ask which convention they would like me to label? Whether it's integrated LKFS or SMax LKFS, also what the dbTP (TPMax) should be"
and that he'd be putting his contact info in all the metadata.

If you are free to have a quick chat with him, I think he might have a few more things he wants to clarify - I can give you his email or whatever is preferred.

"In regards to levels and limiting, would it be possible to ask which convention they would like me to label? Whether it's integrated LKFS or SMax LKFS, also what the dbTP (TPMax) should be"

Hmm, those are NOT questions related to production sound (!), they are questions which only pertain to post-production sound (namely; Re-recording). Your PSM should NOT be doing any audio post: NO limiting (dBTP) and NO loudness normalisation (LKFS)! All that's required is the raw (unprocessed) production sound recordings; no editing, no processing, no mixing, no re-recording, no anything else!!

The labelling (file-naming) convention is covered in my Sound Log post above.

If you are free to have a quick chat with him, I think he might have a few more things he wants to clarify - I can give you his email or whatever is preferred.

In this case it might be a good idea, as for some reason your guy seems to be confusing production sound with post-production sound. If after reading this he is not completely clear that you require a PSM (and not an audio post person/s) or completely clear what is required of a PSM, then PM me a skype username and a time when he's available for a chat (BTW, I'm GMT+2, European Central Time).

G

Back