Common Beginner Mistakes?

I'm planning to make my story an animated film. However, I really really don't want to seem like a...well...amateur. I want to make it the best I can. So, how can you tell if someone is just "some stupid little kid with a camera" or someone who have some knowledge of film and used it in a film? How can you tell the difference between an amateur and a professional (and I mean indie film-wise)? Please help, I'm hoping my film will look GREAT.

The script, the script, the script, the script and .... one other thing.... the script

I've got a short film sitting on my sofa, which I picked up at Cannes. Great animation... but the script, oh dear...

Indies blame all kinds of things for bad films, the camera, lack of money, lack of talented actors... but 98.62% of the time it's just that the script sucks every kind of ass known to mankind.

The script, the script, the script, the script and .... one other thing.... the script

I've got a short film sitting on my sofa, which I picked up at Cannes. Great animation... but the script, oh dear...

Indies blame all kinds of things for bad films, the camera, lack of money, lack of talented actors... but 98.62% of the time it's just that the script sucks every kind of ass known to mankind.

Really? Then that gives me some relief...

Start with books on lighting and camera movement... there's so much, but from the technical picture side of things, these are the two most important. Sound needs to be on point and captured well and cleanly. Actors need to look like they are really the characters in the environments, this is led by the director who also gives oks to the entire look of the film (Mise-en-scene).

Back