Color grading test

Haha, that's a fun short. Nice job. I can't really comment on the coloring because the film isn't really properly lit. I've been known to shoot with natural lighting, myself, but I strongly prefer not to do that for interior shots. I think you need a DIY light-kit. Only then will you be able to fully utilize the skills you're working on as a colorist. Only a properly exposed shot can be manipulated in post to its maximum potential.

Oh hey, I need a colorist for my next feature. No need to apply now, I'm still working on the vomit draft of the screenplay. You've got 18 months to get really good at coloring! :)

Its hilarious anyway :D .
I like the outro credits "sniffer' ;P

For the color , the shot ,when you stretch for the spoon ,is off white balance IMO .But that might be what you're going for.

Thanks for the feedback

Hey guys, thank you all for the feedback, I'm not sure how to reply individually so I'll just reply here. I'm using a Sony a7 and I've not had it long so for the exposure, it's just trial and error finding the correct balance, too low and I get blue noise, too high and I get noise. I do need to invest into some new gear like lights (hence the ads, gotta make extra money somehow) as for the feel with the color grade, on my laptop it was a lot cooler and less saturated but for some reason my screen has a blue tint so when I exported and watched it on my iPad through YouTube it was much warmer so I need a new screen.
This was just a little project I worked on in between my job and my life and I'm still fairly new to it all so each video I make will just be practice and lessons learned.

Again, thank you, I appreciate your time.

Agreed with all points above, and if shooting s-log, ettr about two stops, see if that helps any. As for grading, let's ignore the exposure for now, the highlights have a yellow tinge to them. Sometimes people tend to make the blacks and whites colors other than black and white. Maybe if that's the look you're going for, but say you want blue shadows, perhaps the area leading up to your black point can have a bit of blue in it, but your black point as black is generally where you want to be. Same for white. And ensure that you "stretch" out your image if shot flat. Boost highlights up, lower shadows, and finagle those mid tones to where they're supposed to be. Just my thoughts, and Keep shooting, keep experimenting. That's how you figure out what works.

Back