• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color Grading software

Hello .

So as I'm getting closer and closer to shoot my short I wanted to throw a couple of questions ,one of which would be about the color grading.

I'm a huge huge fan of nice cinematography and filmic color grading .

I would usually rent some dollies and jibs and color grade in magic bullet and it would work great for the most part to achieve some sort of cinematic look but as I read more and more about Da Vinci Resolve I'm considering of switching to this software .

I would be shooting some parts with 550D and some with the 5D .

I was wondering if this program is best for something like Red or Blackmagic Cinema Camera or it's no problem of using it with the 550D or the 5D .

What do you think ?

Resolve is incredibly powerful. Are you on Windows, Mac or Linux?

+1. Davinci is quite a powerful software, and worth acquiring.

Alternately, if you decide to go RED, getting a baseline knowledge of Redcine-X isn't a bad call.

However, even the stock color correction capabilities in most NLEs can get you most of the way there. Practice with levels adjustments, RGB curves, and the like, and you can make quality product.

Hello.

Thanks for the replies .

I use Windows 7 .

I'm ready to spend time learning so my colors can look as good as I want them to.

As with everything, it's probably best to focus on the fundamentals before jumping feet first into the most expensive software you can afford. After all, would you rather have a pro with a curves adjustment, or a novice with resolve grade your film?

Here's a decent link for a bare-bones guide for basic correction and grading: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/01/7-tips-for-hd-color-correction-and-dslr-color-correction/

My recommendation would be to get a solid NLE first and foremost, and use the color controls inherent to it for the time being, until you develop a bit more of a knack for the tools and until it begins to feel restrictive.

Back