• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color / Black and White

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to the forums, as I am just starting out as a film maker. I am 16, and using a low budget camera for now, but we were able to get a grant for some Adobe CS4 software.

I am trying to edit a film we are making at the moment about self harm. I have two questions regarding color and black / white.

Firstly, in the scene below there is an arm covered in fake blood. The move is black and white all the way through, and I want the blood to show up red. I s there a way to either select red, and have it show up automatically, or somehow airbrush each frame?

selfharm.png

Secondly, at the beginnig of the sequence, I want it to fade from color to black and white, just like the dip to black effect, how would I go about this?

I have after effects if that helps

Adam.

Firstly, in the scene below there is an arm covered in fake blood. The move is black and white all the way through, and I want the blood to show up red. I s there a way to either select red, and have it show up automatically, or somehow airbrush each frame?

This might be easiest to do in after effects because it's got more tools available, but you may be able to manage it right in premiere as well. Basically it's a selective color correction. In After effects the way to go would be to create a key based on the blood, and use it as a matte for the color correction. In premiere I think you can just tell it to dial out everything but that color, though I've never really played with that before.

Secondly, at the beginnig of the sequence, I want it to fade from color to black and white, just like the dip to black effect, how would I go about this?

I have after effects if that helps

This part is simple... Keyframe the saturation from it's initial value down to zero at the point you want it black & white.

This might get you heading in the right direction for the first part of your question..

Also, lots of good after effects tutorials at videocopilot.net

This might be easiest to do in after effects because it's got more tools available, but you may be able to manage it right in premiere as well. Basically it's a selective color correction. In After effects the way to go would be to create a key based on the blood, and use it as a matte for the color correction. In premiere I think you can just tell it to dial out everything but that color, though I've never really played with that before.

I'll sort the rest of the film out first, and then take it into AE then. Thanks!

This part is simple... Keyframe the saturation from it's initial value down to zero at the point you want it black & white.

I thought it must be something to do with the fast color correction, It's the only effect that includes saturation. But the thing is, unlike other effects, I can't seem to find the keyframe controls.

There are colour isolation options in Premiere. The main issue I can see with the colour image is the hue of the blanket and the skin (there's a lot of red there). That may cause issues in the colour masking later, so you might have to draw a mask around the blood itself (which means AE). It's worth spending a lot of time tweaking with the values first, in case you can get reasonable results without having to draw a mask - I once spent 3 days drawing a mask for an inadequate 1 minute greenscreen shot.

Try using the VIDEO EFFECTS folder and look in COLOR CORRECTION. You can play with CHANNELS and get the red to remain red, and everything else to be BLACK AND WHITE. If you pull the GREEN and BLUE all the way off, this should get you pretty close. Tweak and play with the settings.

There are colour isolation options in Premiere. The main issue I can see with the colour image is the hue of the blanket and the skin (there's a lot of red there). That may cause issues in the colour masking later, so you might have to draw a mask around the blood itself (which means AE). It's worth spending a lot of time tweaking with the values first, in case you can get reasonable results without having to draw a mask - I once spent 3 days drawing a mask for an inadequate 1 minute greenscreen shot.
There are garbage masks in Premiere too.. ;)

Back