Client asking too much

Always have a contract, I'll never work without one.

A long time ago, I had an incredibly difficult client that I shot a corporate for, who wanted almost everything changed.

I said fine, I can do all the things you requested, but it will mean an extra: 2x days re-shoot at $600/day and x amount of hours in post at $100/hr.

They very quickly came around and thought that the original edit was 'great'.

You really just need to be up-front. Sometimes it's difficult as a creative to be a good business person, but when you're doing corporate stuff especially that's what you need to be. I used to over-quote, then over-deliver and come in slightly under budget, so it always seems like the client's getting a good deal. I always used to try my hardest to do what they wanted, and then only bring in 'extra charges' if their requests started getting ridiculous (like one client who asked me to change the background in one shot because it was too green, or another that asked me to re-shoot one interview because the people in the background were too ethnic..).

It's important to have something in writing that you can refer back to. When the client starts screaming at you because 'that's not what we wanted at all!' then you can refer back to the initial contract and say well actually, this is what we agreed upon.

Yes they are paying me , they paid me about 100 dollars in advance and they should pay me about 450 dollars for all the videos .But looking at it right now , even before getting into editing and the way they are acting it is completely not worth it.

Time to start negotiating.

This happens in business all the time. The client asks for W and you agree to price B. Through the course of the job, the client decides that he also wants X Y and Z. If the agreed upon price is $450 for a 30 second trailer and now want a 1 minute, 2 minute and 3 minute video, it really sounds like you're up to a lot more billing time.

As multiple people have said, it can be important to create a paper trail to fall back upon in case it gets ugly and you want to send it to a debt collector.

Exactly!

I was told this by the great Tom Savini when I first started my career.

Never say no - say yes and tell them how much it will cost and how
much time it will take.

Firstly, wow. You have all sorts of connections :) Savini was the person who got me interested in SFX in films, which lead me to film. I owe it to him for getting me interested in the art form/business at all.

Although, to play Devil's Advocate, I remember hearing that regrets doing makeup and effects for films like The Burning and Maniac because it earned him the reputation as the "king of gore". He said that he was disappointed that he didn't get to make up creatures, like Fluffy in Creepshow rather then scalped heads and mutilated bodies from 70's - 90's slasher flicks.

Back