• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cineform Neoscene Questions

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Just did my first tests with Cineform Neoscene v. 5 and I've got some questions for anyone in the know:

(Converting AVCHD .mts files from an SDHC card recorded by my Canon HFS100)

1. The converted .avi files contained no audio...is that correct? I had to drag over the audio from the original source file and sync.
2. Do you normally select "I-frames only"? Explain the difference...
3. Are the resultant files so much larger than the original files because they are 30 I-frames/second?

Thanks for your help.

hey, I was going to upgrade to v5 tonight, maybe I wont..

Iv never had a problem with the older version not encoding the audio with the AVI? Might be a bug. (or look for a new option in the perfs dialog)

BTW: How do you get the audio from the original source file?

Iv been wondering about I-Frames too..

my quick google helps to understand what they are..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

A sequence of video frames, consisting of two keyframes, one forward-predicted frame and one bi-directionally predicted frame.
500px-I_P_and_B_frames.svg.png

There are three types of pictures (or frames) used in video compression: I‑frames, P‑frames, and B‑frames.

An I‑frame is an 'Intra-coded picture', in effect a fully-specified picture, like a conventional static image file. P‑frames and B‑frames hold only part of the image information, so they need less space to store than an I‑frame, and thus improve video compression rates.

A P‑frame ('Predicted picture') holds only the changes in the image from the previous frame. For example, in a scene where a car moves across a stationary background, only the car's movements need to be encoded. The encoder does not need to store the unchanging background pixels in the P‑frame, so saving space. P‑frames are also known as delta‑frames.

A B‑frame ('Bi-predictive picture') saves even more space by using differences between the current frame and both the preceding and following frames to specify its content.

From other reading it seems that the I-Frame Only options used to be called SMART rendering and is primarily to support Vegas. I also believe that if you check it, there will be no P and B frames, every frame will be a full frame.. thus the file size will increase by %15. Unchecked produces smaller files which makes sense if the above is true. There may be some options in your editors that can benefit from I-Frame only.. im not sure yet. Iv been leaving it unchecked, but maybe Ill try my next encode both ways and see what differences I discover

HA! Didn't know you were waiting on the answer! I needed to install a separate audio plugin, AC3filter, from ac3filter.net. This solved the audio issue. But a second issue cropped up, and maybe someone has had experience with this:

The conversions capped out at 4 gigs while my files were much longer. The project I'm working on is a recital DVD from a master cello lab...recital was about 55 minutes long and I worked a two camera shoot (two continuous 55 minute takes).

The cameras (Vixia HFS100s) separated these into 4 different files.

Neoscene would only convert 4 gigs (out of 6-7) of each file before faulting and moving on to the next file. I've got a query into them, but anyone else have this issue?

HA! Didn't know you were waiting on the answer! I needed to install a separate audio plugin, AC3filter, from ac3filter.net. This solved the audio issue. But a second issue cropped up, and maybe someone has had experience with this:

The conversions capped out at 4 gigs while my files were much longer. The project I'm working on is a recital DVD from a master cello lab...recital was about 55 minutes long and I worked a two camera shoot (two continuous 55 minute takes).

The cameras (Vixia HFS100s) separated these into 4 different files.

Neoscene would only convert 4 gigs (out of 6-7) of each file before faulting and moving on to the next file. I've got a query into them, but anyone else have this issue?

That AC3 thing is a backward step. I thought that the version I'm using did NOT require an AC3 filter like the earlier versions.

don't know about the 4GB thing ..

Crap, its not looking good for this version release.

But in order to get the new version for free I have to upgrade by Augusts or something.. hum..

Last edited:
Figured out the problem...my hard drive is formatted in FAT32, and the maximum file size is on a FAT32 drive is a measly 4 gigs. Thanks for the tipoff, Will. Oh, the things this old dog learns when switching to HD...

So all I need is a new drive formatted in NTFS and the problem should be corrected.

Back