Childrens Television

I am interested in making a moc-childrens television show as an excuse to make fun of all those shows where adults dress up in wacky costumes and sing songs about how to make vegimite sandwiches (popular australian spread for any un-worldy ones out there). Just wondering if anyone knows a thing or two about what makes a good childrens show. Thanks.

Hey lux, I have seen a video online (a few years ago) that fits your description very well. I don't recall the name, but I'll look for it and let you know.

Vegemite... spread of the gods :cool:

Marmite... heathen imitator :grumpy:

_______

Set your VCR and tape as many childrens' shows as you can... then watch them. If you're looking for musical ones in particular, "The Wiggles" is a great show. (And like all New Zealanders, they are extremely talented, not to mention good-looking)

I do have a sneaking suspicion that that is the type of thing you are looking to make fun of, though.

The thing that makes some childrens' tv so good? The in-jokes and references that seem funny to the kiddies, but which adults see on a different level and can appreciate.

There needs to be more decent programming for kids. :)

Thanks for keeping an eye open DirectorX. I must note that the gods do insist vegimite be consumed along with lightly toasted bread with a healthy smothering of butter topped by 2 thinly sliced pieces of extra tasty matured cheese (Man i need to accept i didn't get the vegimite commercial:() I would like to incorporate The Wiggles style in song and dance but with my lack of choreographical skill i think i am looking at focusing more along the lines of.... Johnson and Friends (be sure to watch the clip).

I guess i would need to get an electric keyboard, xylophone, flute, make/buy some colourful costumes (don't know if i could compete with a lifesized green talking waterbottle) if i wanted to go with the trend. Maybe children are an easier audience to please in some ways. I remember watching this show not too long ago but after looking in the television guide it seems it isn't on air anymore which is a shame. I guess what makes a good childrens show is lots of bright happy colours, smiley faces, lots of jumping and dancing, characters giggling after every sentence, minor confict in plot carried along throughout the episode but happily resolved before the end with lots of laughter and everyone united as a whole. Please add/debate this list.

Oh i forgot one important thing, children find comfort in relating to what they watch. Maybe this makes them feel smarter or more mature in that they can understand concepts being presented to them to some extent were as the issues they see their parents being confronted with in everyday life confuse them:)

well i just watched Oxymoron and its just what i had in mind. Very funny. I like the idea of starting off like any normal childrens show but slowly introducing inappropriate elements for a childrens show, transforming it into something else. I dont know whether i should be making this a serious childrens show or a straight comedy, but either way it would be histerically funny. I don't know how adults earn their salaries from playing with clay and fingerpaints without laughing themselves out of bed every morning. Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
does anyone have any idea of where i could buy a muppet style puppet by any chance? Any puppet that moves its mouth?

lux said:
does anyone have any idea of where i could buy a muppet style puppet by any chance? Any puppet that moves its mouth?

I've bought a dozen or more puppets from here:

http://www.puppetuniverse.com/

Seems they've picked up a Sesame Street license, in the meanwhile.

I've bought from them twice (marionettes) and they had the goodies shipped the same day, both times.

Friendly on the phone, too. Good peeps.

:cool:

Yea they seem to have some great puppets there (hundreds of them too) but they don't seem to have any monster styled puppets... Maybe im being too wishful but i think i would prefer the sesame street/muppet styled monsters with movable arms on rods and moving mouths. They had a good muppet styled chef though which could come in handy.... Thanks for the site!

Back