CHILD ACTORS! I can't find any :(

In my opinion, you don't need a child who is an actor. You need a place full of children who got characteristics that your screenplay demands. Once you find this place, talk with the managers to schedule a casting with the kids who have interest in be an actor. In this casting, show some scenes from movies with children, make some tests, observe them. Search for what you need in your film.

99% of the children of the world aren't actors, neither singers or anything. They are just children and will start to find their talents later. You can antecipate this find by going to them. I did it, and got a wonderful result.

Any advice? I need a child about the age of 6-11. It's tough to find out here (North Dakota). What do I do?
Of course it's tough. You know that. Look harder.

There is a school in your area. Go speak to the principle. Present
your proposal - make it really, really good and professional. Your
friends have siblings. If none of them do I bet at least one of your
friends knows someone with a child in that age range. I'll bet money
there are kids in that age range in your neighborhood or at least
within 20 miles of you. Present your proposal to several parents.

Hold off making this specific movie until you have found the right
child.

I think sometimes child actors actually can give a less believable performance than a child who isn't necessarily trained. Child actors go to their acting schools and get taught to do this and that, but in the end I feel like there can be less believability in some children who have been trained vs those who haven't. That said, you need to be the kidn of Director who can work with a child that has never acted before.
THere are all sorts of things to think about when making a film with children in it, so make sure at least your Producer and 1st AD have police checks and state that outright. There are often certain laws that affect how long a child can work on set for without taking a break (ie in Aus, ages 6-9 can only work for a max 6 hours, 9-12 max 8 hours etc) and how long they can have off school without employing a tutor. Make sure you are across these. You also want to hold yourself and the set to high professional standards, so that means no swearing in front of the kids etc etc.

In terms of finding the kids to go in it, go and see some junior theatre productions, including high school plays and musicals, go to local schools and check out their drama department (all with permission of course, you don't want to be that creepy guy..). You may even also find that contacting some of the kids talent agencies can be useful.

The content in my film is a little bit on the offensive side. But I would only have the child exposed to his own parts, not the really bad parts. But that doesn't mean the parents won't read the script and not want to do it lol. But I posted on Facebook and got two responses. So ill see. I feel like Craigslist isn't going to yield any results.

Craigslist takes a few days/weeks to get the most results. There are LOTS of child actors out there, and actor moms "managing" their child. I've worked with quite a few on the past few projects, over half came from craigslist.

Is there a kids performing arts group in your area, like an extra-curricular thing?

Try facebook groups too. One of the aforementioned actor moms found me on facebook and added me to a couple of local talent groups. In those groups, over half of the activity comes from actor moms posting roles they found for kids, their kids demo reels, etc.

Back