• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Check out our new Proof of Concept trailer for The Unknown!

I checked out the interviews on indiegogo. My first thought is you should have a link or reference to those videos on your main page so that people know you have the interview videos to checkout. I am sure that people not familiar with the indiegogo site may not know to click on the tab called updates to see them.

I was thinking it would be cool if you could create a playlist and embed it. That way once one video stops playing it loads the next. Thus, the trailer plays then after it is over the interview starts then after that another interview. Here is a thread I made on how to do that with vimeo.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=36778

Last edited:
I watched the trailer and it looked professional. This could be a thrilling movie. Best of luck with it!

I wanted to give a quick update to thank everyone for their comments and support, and to let everyone know that we not only got our film funded, but we managed to get an additional $100k (!) for a total budget of $400,000.00!!! We could not be more excited about this! We have a total of 3 investors, two from MN and one from Los Angeles.

We will be shooting the film using Canon's new C300 cameras, and will be shooting in various locations including Puerto Rico's rain forests so we will be able to give some really great feedback on how the camera holds up in different environments.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and thank again!

I wanted to give a quick update to thank everyone for their comments and support, and to let everyone know that we not only got our film funded, but we managed to get an additional $100k (!) for a total budget of $400,000.00!!! We could not be more excited about this! We have a total of 3 investors, two from MN and one from Los Angeles.

We will be shooting the film using Canon's new C300 cameras, and will be shooting in various locations including Puerto Rico's rain forests so we will be able to give some really great feedback on how the camera holds up in different environments.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and thank again!

Congrats on the awesome news!!!

If you are going to Puerto Rico's El Yunque Rainforest and you need/want a waterfall shot -- there are 2 waterfalls in El Yunque. One you see around the tourist stops and its nice. But the best one is at the end of the road, seriously the road ends 25 feet from the lower pool. You will need to ask around for a local to take you there, but its totally worth it.

Good luck!!!

Wow, great! How so, just checked indigogo and it was a little short haha? Curious, as we all want the same thing!

Yeah, it was a little short lol. But what it did exceptionally well was to gain the attention of all three of our final investors, who upon meeting with us and seeing our business plan, all signed on immediately. Our first meeting with investor one, we got $24k. Then our first meeting with investor two we got $276k, and our first meeting with investor three got us our additional $100k. It was crazy. My producers did their homework, and put together what ended up being a rockstar business plan, that not only impressed me, but our investors as well. All of the investors were incredibly impressed with the trailer, given how little time we actually had with our cast and crew to pull it off (12 hours total, over 5 days between Sept. and Oct.). The one from L.A. is actually getting us a couple known actors for some nice little cameos, which is just awesome! Can't say who yet, as we've narrowed it down to six possibles, but you would definitely know them.

Something big to note, we managed to get everything we wanted (and then some!) without, I repeat, without having to give up ANY creative control. I have final cut, we can distribute as we see fit (although they do have some nice connections we would be stupid not to pursue), we keep our talent etc. I could not ask for more.

Biggest advice I can give anyone seeking funding is know the business end of this adventure. Write up a stellar business plan so your potential investors know exactly how you plan on recouping their money. Comparisons are fine, but be real. Show winners AND losers. Be up front that they could absolutely lose everything they put into this. And do NOT use Paranormal Activity as one of your comparisons. That is, let's be honest, a once in a blue moon kind of occurrence, and is too unrealistic to be used as a valid comparison. There's a ton more to a solid business plan besides comparisons (which really only were 3 pages of a 26 page plan), so don't get too stuck on that. Research the business. Know exactly which theaters you plan on putting the film in (talk to them and find out about deals, costs etc.). Know which fests you'll submit to. And finally, include your marketing budget in the budget. I know, I know. That's not how it's done. But ALL of our investors said they loved that we included that, because too many films get made and then have no money for marketing, so they sit and go nowhere. Our marketing budget is $45k, which is very nice for this size budget in an indie film, and that is part of our budget. That gets us HDCAM versions for digital projection theaters, it pays for a lot of festival fees, it pays for radio spots, print ads and pays for the theater costs to get it shown.

I can say without a doubt this is a total dream come true for me, and my crew. Now the real pressure starts ;)

Congrats on the awesome news!!!

If you are going to Puerto Rico's El Yunque Rainforest and you need/want a waterfall shot -- there are 2 waterfalls in El Yunque. One you see around the tourist stops and its nice. But the best one is at the end of the road, seriously the road ends 25 feet from the lower pool. You will need to ask around for a local to take you there, but its totally worth it.

Good luck!!!

Awesome! Thanks! We definitely will be shooting in El Yunque, and that's one of the things we plan on getting is a nice waterfall with a lower pool, so that helps huge :)

Awesome! Thanks! We definitely will be shooting in El Yunque, and that's one of the things we plan on getting is a nice waterfall with a lower pool, so that helps huge :)

I was born in PR and El Yunque is nothing but breathtaking. Incredible scenery, sounds and nature. The waterfall I'm talking about actually has 3 different pools and at the very top of the mountain is a humongous rock sitting there, and if you forget the fact the rock is prob 20 tons, you would think it would roll off.

Also while in the island, go to NoNo's in Old San Juan and drink a cold Medalla(local beer) and enjoy the breeze.
Have fun a best of luck!
Joey

Last edited:
Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Anyway we can talk you into starting a dedicated production thread...and, perhaps a sample of your Investor pitch package? (probably confidential but it doesn't hurt to ask ) :D

I was born in PR and El Yunque is nothing but breathtaking. Incredible scenery, sounds and nature. The waterfall I'm talking about actually has 3 different pools and at the very top of the mountain is a humongous rock sitting there, and if you forget the fact the rock is prob 20 tons, you would think it would roll off.

Also while in the island, go to NoNo's in Old San Juan and drink a cold Medalla(local beer) and enjoy the breeze.
Have fun a best of luck!
Joey

That is awesome! I will absolutely be checking that out :) The other thing I want to shoot is one of the bioluminescent bays. Any tips there?

Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Anyway we can talk you into starting a dedicated production thread...and, perhaps a sample of your Investor pitch package? (probably confidential but it doesn't hurt to ask ) :D

@bird, I absolutely can start up a dedicated production thread! I can't give the actual business plan as it is confidential, BUT I can go through a pretty detailed "virtual" version ;) That is something that I know I would have loved to have been able to see when trying to figure this process out! There is simply so much out there info-wise, and unfortunately so much of it is bad advice or you are forced to pay a lot of money for what amounts to only part of what you need. I have a meeting to go to right now which will probably tie up the rest of my night, but I will get that new thread going tomorrow :)

That is awesome! I will absolutely be checking that out :) The other thing I want to shoot is one of the bioluminescent bays. Any tips there?

The bay shots are going to be really difficult. Even on the best of nights(when there is no moon) you only get to see a soft led'ish glow on the water that lasts merely seconds if that. Plus there will be lots of people... I'm not sure what u were planning for it.

If you need a PR person to help out, I have a really good friend who has done a bunch of tv/movie stuff on the island. He has been an extra on a couple of big movies, most recently "The men who stare at goats". He has done a lot of production help since he knows the area, extras, where to find props and such. Lmk.

The bay shots are going to be really difficult. Even on the best of nights(when there is no moon) you only get to see a soft led'ish glow on the water that lasts merely seconds if that. Plus there will be lots of people... I'm not sure what u were planning for it.

If you need a PR person to help out, I have a really good friend who has done a bunch of tv/movie stuff on the island. He has been an extra on a couple of big movies, most recently "The men who stare at goats". He has done a lot of production help since he knows the area, extras, where to find props and such. Lmk.

Sent you a message! :yes:

Back