• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Chase scene with a 5D

Hi guys,

In september I am shooting a chase scene through the woods for a trailer.

I usually work with a Canon 600d or a PMW-EX3, but for this i feel like going full sensor, so i would need to hire.

I looked at the FS700/FS100 and they are quite pricey to hire for such a small project...

The canon 5d is another option, however i am very wary of using it handheld during chase scenes, due to the jello effect?

Should i stay well clear of the 5D? or have people successfully pulled off such a scene with a 5D?

Both the FS700 and FS100 have rolling shutter, an issue prevalent with CMOS sensors. You can operate around it, but don't be expecting to do 360 degree whip pans without having rolling shutter issues.

Ignoring the whole jello issue... if you use another camera, what are you doing to ensure a steady image while running through uneven ground, through the woods, while handheld?

If I'm not mistaken, the crop factor of the FS100/FS700 is approximately that of the 600D. So why not just use that (unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, of course)?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice, with regards to what I'm using to steady the camera, camera stabilisation isn't such an issue as some shots will be POV running and others shakey handheld.

I would quite happily use my 600d if people have used theirs before and not had adverse effects in same situations.

I was just looking for advice as didn't want to get all the way to location and use my 600d only for the footage to not be useable and it be a waste of time :)

FS100 & FS700 are same sensor size as 600D, 550D, 7D and so on.

The 5D is abnormal when it comes to sensor size. It's huge.

I'd say stick with your 600D. I've filmed action stuff with my T2i and it's all fine :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice, with regards to what I'm using to steady the camera, camera stabilisation isn't such an issue as some shots will be POV running and others shakey handheld.

You can certainly get useable footage out of a 600D (I do, at least), but I would be wary of going too far down the "realism" trap. Just because you're running around with it handheld doesn't mean you will see anything other than a blurry mess when you're done. You have to be able to control the shakiness, so to speak (the Bourne movies were shot shoulder-mounted, not handheld). If nothing else, at least make a fig rig/shoulder mount combo out of scrapwood. You'd be surprised at how much more useable your footage becomes while still maintaining the realism you're after.

A steadicam might work better. I think a shoulder tends to be too high in some shots, in my opinion. I don't get why people think shaky adds realism, cause when a person runs, your eyes technically do not shake your vision. You still see straight.

Unless you succumb to tunnel vision while running, you see the same amount as when you are walking, you just have less time to analyze what you see before it gets replaced.

The phenomenon that H44 is talking about is called persistence of vision. Your brain, the most powerful computer currently available, matches what you have seen to what you are seeing to reduce jitter. That's why a spinning wheel appears to be spinning opposite it's actual direction of rotation.

If you shoot a running scene and feel that you have too much time to "look" at the scenery, speed up the footage until it feels right. If you want the tunnel vision effect, blur the edges of the footage keeping the center clear in a roughly round area. Slight panning can help the effect.

The shaking is there to emulate the fact that you don't have the time to analyze what you see.

Which in my opinion it fails to achieve. Shaky camera work immediately and always makes me think no budget amateur. Which makes it ideal for emulating found or home movie footage but not for emulating anything else. A very small amount of shake can work to increase pace/tension but it has to be a very small amount and it's a fine line which is all too easy to cross. Of course this is just my opinion and younger audience members maybe more forgiving/accepting of shaky camera work.

G

Back