Catch you later

Hey everyone,

Im off for a week. Heading to Florida for a mini vacation and then spending a couple of days in the smoky mountains to capture some timelapses for my little short.

If i dont post in a week, it means i died in the mountains, clutching my camera to my chest, waiting forever for the sky and weather accommodate my shoot :lol:

Anyway, catch you guys when i get back!

Ernest.

PS

If anyone has any experience with good locations or spots in the smoky mountains, please feel free to post them here. Or any other information, for that matter. For example, where could i get the best cherry pie?

I don't know about cherry pie but the Appalachians are beautiful. Try and get to some high ground early in the morning for some awesome fog. Get on the trail if you can and watch out for coal trucks!

Have a great time!

So, if you die in the mountains, do I have permission to make a feature called "Hunting Ernest"-a dramatic and hardcore account of the search for an indiefilmmaker? :D

Have fun Ernest, maybe you'll get a sasquatch sighting on film ;)

Quick update everyone. Im in Florida right now. Staying at the Sea World Center. Thought id log on for a bit b4 bed and follow up on your comments.

And if anyone else has any other advice to my original post, feel free to post, guys.

I don't know about cherry pie but the Appalachians are beautiful. Try and get to some high ground early in the morning for some awesome fog. Get on the trail if you can and watch out for coal trucks!

Have a great time!

I passed thru the smokey mountains on the drive over and the area was even more massive than i thought. Did see some fog hanging around the trees but i was only driving thru and didnt go high enuf to get an idea of what to expect when i go there on my way back. Do you have nay specific lookout points, trail names or anything that you would recommend? And can you get high enuf there above the fog to be able to see clear skies and stars?

Also, i havent booked my hotel there yet and if u have any recommendations concerning where to stay near any points you would suggest.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. That's my experience of Florida.

Have fun! :)

We're going to Harry Potter World tomorrow. I checked to see if they had lockers where i could store my camera gear while taking rides. They do, but i just wanted to check with you and your opinion of them. Did they seem secure enough? Were they behind a counter with an employee or were they just on the street where anyone could have access to them? I dont know if you had to use them or not but in case you did, id love to hear any advice you have.

You're going to Florida - in the summer - on purpose? Enjoy the Smokey Mountains! :lol:

You decided to follow a career in film making - in this world - on purpose? :lol:

Hahah, yeah im here but so far it hasnt been that bad. Whereabouts in Florida r u anyway? Feel free to PM me.

So, if you die in the mountains, do I have permission to make a feature called "Hunting Ernest"-a dramatic and hardcore account of the search for an indiefilmmaker? :D

Have fun Ernest, maybe you'll get a sasquatch sighting on film ;)

You actually make me want to die up there. God knows the chances of becoming a successful and famous director are way worse than Hunting Ernest to succeed and make me popular posthumously so... hahah

And the only sasquatch i want to meet is the Jack Links Jerky one heheh. In fact i just had some last night.

Have fun man.

Have a good'un, bud.

Thanks guys. So far so good!

I checked to see if they had lockers where i could store my camera gear while taking rides. They do, but i just wanted to check with you and your opinion of them. Did they seem secure enough? Were they behind a counter with an employee or were they just on the street where anyone could have access to them? I dont know if you had to use them or not but in case you did, id love to hear any advice you have.

The lockers are not behind any counter or anything. It is like a giant wall of lockers near most rides. They are very secure and are activated by finger print. But i am letting you know the lockers are not that big. Depending on your camera im not sure if it would deffinatly fit in the locker. Atleast this is how it was last time i was at islands of adventure!

Also i think its gives u 30 minutes(more or less depending on the wait for the ride) for free then you have to pay so keep a cupple dollors in your pocket incase you go over the time and your wallet is in the locker. (that happend to me) = FAIL :lol:

The lockers are not behind any counter or anything. It is like a giant wall of lockers near most rides. They are very secure and are activated by finger print. But i am letting you know the lockers are not that big. Depending on your camera im not sure if it would deffinatly fit in the locker. Atleast this is how it was last time i was at islands of adventure!

Also i think its gives u 30 minutes(more or less depending on the wait for the ride) for free then you have to pay so keep a cupple dollors in your pocket incase you go over the time and your wallet is in the locker. (that happend to me) = FAIL :lol:

My travel camera bag is about the size of a small backpack just big enough for a DSLR and a couple of lenses. There must be atleast that much space in there right? Thanks for the info!

And leaving ur wallet in there, priceless :lol: :)

My travel camera bag is about the size of a small backpack just big enough for a DSLR and a couple of lenses. There must be atleast that much space in there right? Thanks for the info!

And leaving ur wallet in there, priceless :lol: :)

No problem! and Im pretty sure that would fit! I would call and ask the dementions of the lockers just to be safe! :D

I passed thru the smokey mountains on the drive over and the area was even more massive than i thought. Did see some fog hanging around the trees but i was only driving thru and didnt go high enuf to get an idea of what to expect when i go there on my way back. Do you have nay specific lookout points, trail names or anything that you would recommend? And can you get high enuf there above the fog to be able to see clear skies and stars?

Also, i havent booked my hotel there yet and if u have any recommendations concerning where to stay near any points you would suggest.

My experience with Appalachia is limited to mission trips in small towns in West Virginia. I don't remember the names, but trust me, apart from the nature they were not vacation spots.

You can definitely get to points where you can see the fog hanging around the mountaintops but still see the sky, but from what I remember, it's really only foggy very early in the morning and the sky tends to be overcast. The views I remember looked a lot like this:
4144661-fog-in-the-early-morning-over-the-great-smokey-mountains.jpg

So probablyno stars and fog at the same time. But at night you should get a great view of the stars (unless you're in a big city, of course). I'm sure any lookout point is going to have spectacular views.

The trail I was referring to is the Appalachian Trail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail
If you're into hiking it's one of the best trails out there. Some folks like to take the challenge and do the whole thing (I think it's supposed to take 3 months or something), but you can hop on and off at various points if you just want to hike for a day or two. Here's a resource if you want to pick your hotel near an entrance point. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike
btw, what state are you gonna be in? The 'smoky mountains' could mean a lot of places...

Anyway, have fun!!

We're going to Harry Potter World tomorrow. I checked to see if they had lockers where i could store my camera gear while taking rides. They do, but i just wanted to check with you and your opinion of them. Did they seem secure enough? Were they behind a counter with an employee or were they just on the street where anyone could have access to them? I dont know if you had to use them or not but in case you did, id love to hear any advice you have.

If I remember correctly they seemed pretty secure and had finger print recognition or something. I don't remember precisely but I wouldn't be worried about storing a camera in there.

Don't bother with the butterbeer. Get there as soon as the gates open because (at least when I was there but I assume still now) the queues are huge and take months. On the plus side the rest of Universal Studios is deserted! Make sure you ride the main ride inside Hogwarts a couple of times because it's awesome. The Duelling Dragons is also good but it's just a coaster. Flight of the Hippogriff is fine if you're a 6 year old child. Don't bother queuing for Ollivander's unless you really want a piece of wood. Go to Jurassic Park next door, it's still awesome. Don't have loose change in your pockets when you go on the Forbidden Journey ride. It's 90% simulator but I'm pretty sure it goes almost upside down. It's really, really cool so just enjoy it!

This be the word.

EDIT: And I see brettzdamn has already answer your locker question. You da man, Brett!

If I remember correctly they seemed pretty secure and had finger print recognition or something. I don't remember precisely but I wouldn't be worried about storing a camera in there.

Don't bother with the butterbeer. Get there as soon as the gates open because (at least when I was there but I assume still now) the queues are huge and take months. On the plus side the rest of Universal Studios is deserted! Make sure you ride the main ride inside Hogwarts a couple of times because it's awesome. The Duelling Dragons is also good but it's just a coaster. Flight of the Hippogriff is fine if you're a 6 year old child. Don't bother queuing for Ollivander's unless you really want a piece of wood. Go to Jurassic Park next door, it's still awesome. Don't have loose change in your pockets when you go on the Forbidden Journey ride. It's 90% simulator but I'm pretty sure it goes almost upside down. It's really, really cool so just enjoy it!

This be the word.

EDIT: And I see brettzdamn has already answer your locker question. You da man, Brett!

Just got back from Universal. Brettz and you were right about the lockers. Def large enuf and secure enuf. Thanks for the info, guys.

The Forbidden Journey was indeed the best thing there! Absolutely loved it. And i did want to ride it a second time but 20 mins into the line, they announced they had stopped the ride. Then they resumed it and 20 mins later they stopped it again. By that time there was still 60 mins of line left ahead of us so we left :(
But the simlator mixed with other rooms full of animatronics was brilliant! And for anyone reading this who is going there and thinking they would rather ride a scary coaster than a simulator, do the exact opposite. You can ride a coaster anywhere but you're not going to find this experience anywhere else.

Oh btw, i actually liked butterbeer. It was just a variation of cream soda.

Thanks for all the info, Nick. You saved us a bunch of time.

My experience with Appalachia is limited to mission trips in small towns in West Virginia. I don't remember the names, but trust me, apart from the nature they were not vacation spots.

You can definitely get to points where you can see the fog hanging around the mountaintops but still see the sky, but from what I remember, it's really only foggy very early in the morning and the sky tends to be overcast. The views I remember looked a lot like this:
4144661-fog-in-the-early-morning-over-the-great-smokey-mountains.jpg

So probablyno stars and fog at the same time. But at night you should get a great view of the stars (unless you're in a big city, of course). I'm sure any lookout point is going to have spectacular views.

The trail I was referring to is the Appalachian Trail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail
If you're into hiking it's one of the best trails out there. Some folks like to take the challenge and do the whole thing (I think it's supposed to take 3 months or something), but you can hop on and off at various points if you just want to hike for a day or two. Here's a resource if you want to pick your hotel near an entrance point. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike
btw, what state are you gonna be in? The 'smoky mountains' could mean a lot of places...

Anyway, have fun!!

I really appreciate the detailed info. You've given me more hours of sleep and for that my brain and body thanks you in advance. I'll post here and let you know how it went.

I'll be in Tennessee.

Have fun Ernest!!!

Eat some oranges for me.

Thanks and dont worry, im pretty health conscious; i always eat all the fruit in cocktails :lol::P

I'm about an hour and a half from there, but I have to take my Dad to MCO tomorrow around 10. Wanna meet for coffee? I'll buy you a small. :D

We're doing Sea World tomorrow from 10am till 4pm. Im pretty much free after that. I dont know if after 4 is convenient for you but if so the coffee is on me and i can make it an irish if you prefer ;)

EDIT: I just realized MCO is the airport here. I certainly dont want to make you wait so many hours after u drop your dad off. Hmmm, lemme think. See if i can figure something out...

Last edited:
Back