Case for boom pole

I've decided to move up from the converted painter's pole to a real boom pole.

I've looked into boom poles, and decided it would be nice to have a case for one, like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496966-REG/Alfa_Case_10046BTLB_37_46_Lockable_BoomTube.html

But, I can't see paying $90 for a ABS tube when I can get a 10' 2 or 3 inch ABS drain pipe from Lowe's and cut it to length. I can put foam in the top and bottom, custom cut it to fit my boom pole, and glue a female fitting at the top, and put a screw-in male plug in it. I'd of course glue a cap on the other end.

It could even be fitted with a strap (glued on or screwed on) and a hasp. I figure this would run about $15 at the most.

Any flaws in my thinking?

Is this a case that the boom pole will be transported in or the actual boom pole?

One flaw I can see if you're building a boom pole out of a pipe is you need some padding inside on the cable so it doesn't slap the inside of the pole and create handling noise as you're booming and recording.

I have "real" boom pole, a Ktek I think, i keep it not in a dedicated bag but in an old tripod bag along with light stands, slider, few other stuff. Don't spoil your boom pole, treat it like any other piece of gear and throw it in with the unwashed.

Is this a case that the boom pole will be transported in or the actual boom pole?

One flaw I can see if you're building a boom pole out of a pipe is you need some padding inside on the cable so it doesn't slap the inside of the pole and create handling noise as you're booming and recording.

No, what I want is a tube so I can carry my new carbon fiber boom pole.

I'm going to give it a try. I've used ABS many, many times for waste lines in houses I work on. I think my idea will work very well. Maybe I'll wrap the pole in a blanket or towel to protect it. It'd be too much work to pad the whole inside of a 3 or 4 inch ABS pipe!

Back