• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch CARDIO - Short film shot on 7D.

Yes, precisely. There's a difference between hand-held and long tracking shots. They are amongst many choices you have when leaving the tripod. What you call the docu-style is once again becoming a rising part of the language of film, due to the rise in popularity of "reality television." Audiences are more accustomed to that kind of photography and this can work to our advantage: it works on an audience subconsciously by anticipating tension, placing us in a real situation and foreshadowing not-so-nice events about to happen. A gliding steadicam shot in this instance wouldn't have dealt the same amount of tension. It would have understated the upcoming events instead of raising their stakes.

I'm a big fan of the Bourne trilogy. In The Bourne Ultimatum for example almost all shots are shoulder camera or simulated shoulder camera to keep the tension high during the whole movie. Even when they're talking in an office. But I think my opening shot is a bit too shaky. Halfway between what I did and steadicam would have been better in my opinion but that's the best I could do by hand holding my DSLR cage.

I'm a big fan of the Bourne trilogy. In The Bourne Ultimatum for example almost all shots are shoulder camera or simulated shoulder camera to keep the tension high during the whole movie. Even when they're talking in an office. But I think my opening shot is a bit too shaky. Halfway between what I did and steadicam would have been better in my opinion but that's the best I could do by hand holding my DSLR cage.

I know what you're saying, but I disagree. The following the guys up to the house didn't add tension...it only brought my attention to the camera crew behind them, which consequently brought my mind out of the fantasy.

I think handheld work can be fine in this case, as long as it's done smoothly. Being shaky and hesitant with your camera moves doesn't work in a fiction-based movie...I don't want to think about the camera crew. I was expecting to see a boom drop in the shot at one of those points...lol.

I'm not saying the whole film was shot this way, I'm just saying a few cases wouldn't allow me to suspend disbelief.

And some of you may know how I feel about the recent hand-held craze, and this docu-style approach...I hate it. It makes me think all filmmakers are lazy, unskilled, and don't know how to compose a shot to save their lives. Not saying any of this applies to the OP...just my overall opinion of the HH movement.

Cheers.

Just saw it! Awesome dude! Great work.

I know someone said that the acting needed work but I thought it was very well performed. Perhaps it was the novelty of another language but your lead especially did a good job.

And that camera sure does take wonderful images. You pause the film at points and it looks like a hi-res photograph. :)

Just saw it! Awesome dude! Great work.

I know someone said that the acting needed work but I thought it was very well performed. Perhaps it was the novelty of another language but your lead especially did a good job.

And that camera sure does take wonderful images. You pause the film at points and it looks like a hi-res photograph. :)

Thanks! I'll let the actors know! :)

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film.

The story, acting, dialouge was all key for the success of this film.

I didn't enjoy the cinematography too much, nor the lighting which seemed all natural to me. I wish it was much cleaner, because it would have been a home run for me.

urgggg, you get such nice quality out of that little thing... sorta wish I hadn't spend thousands spanned over years on my stupid rig. I'm gonna go lie down, or throw up, or both.

Great job though, story works, picture looks good. The walking shot at the beginning bothered me, but it was tolerable, and didn't detract from the story.

I enjoyed the film.

The story, acting, dialouge was all key for the success of this film.

I didn't enjoy the cinematography too much, nor the lighting which seemed all natural to me. I wish it was much cleaner, because it would have been a home run for me.

In which ways would you have improved the cinematography and the lighting?

urgggg, you get such nice quality out of that little thing... sorta wish I hadn't spend thousands spanned over years on my stupid rig. I'm gonna go lie down, or throw up, or both.

Great job though, story works, picture looks good. The walking shot at the beginning bothered me, but it was tolerable, and didn't detract from the story.

The shaky camera in the opening shot bothered a few people. If there's a Steadicam operator out there willing to help out on the next production he'll be more than welcome! :D

Im a new member and i enjoyed your film very much, the main actor was quite good. The 7D is one of my main cameras to get my for my first short film.

Im a new member and i enjoyed your film very much, the main actor was quite good. The 7D is one of my main cameras to get my for my first short film.

It's a pretty good camera but don't forget to budget for lenses too. It can get expensive quickly compared to a good little video camera like the HV40.

It's a pretty good camera but don't forget to budget for lenses too. It can get expensive quickly compared to a good little video camera like the HV40.

I got a few EF lenses for my xsi, and an OM adapter to fit my olympus lenses as well so i dont see why they coudlnt work.

I got a few EF lenses for my xsi, and an OM adapter to fit my olympus lenses as well so i dont see why they coudlnt work.

If you already have your lenses then the 7D is a good option. I would also recommend to get the rode video mic to get decent sound.

Last edited:
Wow, the quality of the camera is awesome so film like; can the 7d be adjusted to shoot on 24p? if so, then that's awesome.
Nice short overall.

Last edited:
I liked this. I agree with what Michael says about the docu style. About half the shots were lush, especially in the kitchen beforehand. Great lighting on the faces there. The shot of the two guys in the bedroom, with the light hitting them, was good too.

I would have liked to see an establishing shot of the house as they walked up to it. Also, a more interesting set. Weird looking vases, interesting coloured bed sheets, something.

Anyway, it was a cool film.

Back