Car mounted camera jib - pursuit crane

I have always been in to building things, so this time I started to think on how I could install one of my 3 axis camera gimbals on a car. For some reason suction cups seem to amateur to me ;)
The idea is to build a smaller copy of a Russian Arm. I would like it to be fully operated from inside of the vehicle and fully stabilized.
Maybe some of you had some experience working with the car cranes and could share some tips to consider?

crane-24.jpg

Impressive rig, would you be looking to have it electronically controlled? I'd say this is a niche area, especially in indie film making and you could struggle to find suggestions, however buying a decent small jib, like a Kessler or similar could be a start.

I admire the challenge of building a DIY version. But I wonder about it's
use. Do you shoot car chases often enough to justify building one of
these? What about permitting? I suspect you can't just pop your rig on
your car and then go out in the streets and shoot.

I gave this idea some thought awhile back and came up with the idea of mounting a Kessler on a flat bed car trailer. My reasons for this is that I own a race car trailer with a very low ride height and wood decking. Bolting the crane onto my trailer allows me to control cost. Of course if you attempt this, safety harnesses are a must. Also consider that where I live it is illegal for human beings to ride upon a trailer while it is in motion on public roadways. The way around that is to get the required permits. Alternately, the rig could be setup in the bed of a pickup truck and you could guerrilla the sucker.

Legal disclaimer: I do not condone the violation of laws, ordinances, legal provisions, or municipal codes. If you attempt any of the ideas, techniques or actions described herein, you do so at your own risk and peril. Carry on.

Back