• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't open project on external drive on desktop

I posted this on a filmmaking site so apologizes in advance b/c I know some of the same people read both. I didn't get any solution there so I figured maybe people that read this site might know.

In short..I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5. I gave a colorist a folder on an external seagate free agent drive that had my raw video files and project file. He gave me back this drive with the folder with all the files, in addition to the color rendered files. When I open the project file off the drive, no problem. But when I copy and paste the entire folder onto my desktop, and open the project file, it tells me to locate the raw files (obviously since it was linked on the external drive's location.) No problem, I find where it now is on the desktop, and it starts loading it...but then instead of freezing, it just stops. Sometimes when it's almost all loaded, sometimes when it's just a little over half way. Does anyone know why it won't just open it smoothly like it does if it's run directly off the external drive.

ALSO, if I have the external drive still plugged in, and open the project file off the desktop, it opens fine (since the media is linked to the external drive's location.) I just don't get why it won't work....must be a adobe bug or something.

I need to clear off my drive so I can send my new movie out to a different colorist, and I don't want to have to buy a new one and never have a back up somewhere for the previous movie.

any idea how to get it to work? or is it just an adobe bug and I'm screwed?

I got the solution from someone incase anyone's had this problem from simply copying and pasting from the locations....

Open the project on the ext drive, then opening the "project Manager" in the project menu. There you will find an option to move the project to a new location, remove unused files, etc.

Back