Can women really "make it" as directors?

I was reading a very distressing article today about female filmmakers, and the reality of gender inequality within Hollywood: http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandhollywood/an-oscar-nominated-director-gets-real

I was very disheartened to say the least. Being a young female, I was always worrying about the things that could halt my career (lack of funds, lack of connections, lack of talent), but strangely the issue of gender never crossed my mind. Now that it has cross my mind however, it's all I've been able to think about. I know the path to becoming a grade A-filmmaker (and not just a director of commercials) is a grueling uphill battle. But being a woman, is the battle really lost? Are we doomed from the start for no jobs, and even if we can break in, meager funding and male management?

I'm not trying to argue how Hollywood is unfair to women. I want someone to prove me wrong. I wish someone could give me an opposing argument, to soothe my worrying mind and tell me it's not so. I don't want this to be accurate

What are your thoughts on female directors (or as I hope to become one day, writer/directors). Is hope lost for us? :(

Are the mass majority of directors in Hollywood male? Yes. Is there gender inequality? Yes. Is it possible to make a living in the industry as a woman? Yes. Women can make it into the industry, and with the industry changing, I wouldn't be surprised if this inequality dissipates, and as a female filmmaker, you can contribute to this. So, no, not all hope is lost.

Especially if the woman is the producer too, cause then she can just hire herself as director :). But perhaps it's tougher to be a woman producer as well, but their many of them.

I'm the bad man.

I'm the middle aged white guy that oppresses everyone else.
If you're non-white I'm oppressing you.
If you're non-male I'm oppressing you.
If you're too old or young I'm oppressing you.
If you're non-heterosexual I'm oppressing you.
If you're not in nearly perfect health I'm oppressing you.
If your education is less than mine I'm oppressing you.
If you're not American I'm oppressing you.

I'm so busy looking for other healthy white American middle aged males to give jobs, money, and quality references to I really don't have time to help all you young/old black/brown/blue/green/chartreuse gay/bi/tranny/asexual Jewish/Muslim/Buddhist/agnostic/atheist democrat/republican etc. etc. etc. beggars looking for a handout.

I'm very busy.
There's a machine we're all just a part of.

No.
Actually, I believe that consumers just don't really givashit about the gender of the "person" who invented Post-it notes, circular saws, and kevlar.
If you make a good product and can market it effectively then your... whatever doesn't matter.
It's ir-fucking-relevant.
Your whatever is only relevant if you're looking for someone else to give you a job/loan/opportunity.
Fuck 'em.

That article was written to pander to your insecurities.
The writer SOLD you bullshit and you bought it, swallowed it, and allowed it to waste three calories of brain power in considering it.

Find an audience.
Make your film.
The consumer will validate you. Not some white guy behind a desk or phone.

Circumvent the white guys.
We're all bad, and really really good at oppressing everyone else.
Really good.

Really good.

Last edited:
youcandoit.jpg

Short answer: yes.

I'm the bad man.

I'm the middle aged white guy that oppresses everyone else.
If you're non-white I'm oppressing you.
If you're non-male I'm oppressing you.
If you're too old or young I'm oppressing you.
If you're non-heterosexual I'm oppressing you.
If you're not in nearly perfect health I'm oppressing you.
If your education is less than mine I'm oppressing you.
If you're not American I'm oppressing you.

Ahh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, Help I'm being oppressed!

:lol:

Yes, I'm aware it's a slight mis-quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGqcCeV3qk

Can't go wrong with a 'Holy Grail' reference. :)

BTW, Will, have you been actively oppressing everyone else, too?

Last edited:
Depending on the genre of film that most interests you, you may have an easier or more difficult time making inroads. Sad, but true.

But, there are many women directors of documentaries and romantic comedies, for example. Lots of dramas, and a number of comedies too. Much less-so for action.

There was a similar thread on the topic of women directors a long while ago: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=6764

Basically I agree with what's already been said here, though. Most people these days don't give a shit if you're a woman. And all the more so if it's your show and you're the boss.

I won't say you won't run into assholes, misogynists, people trying consciously or unconsciously to pigeonhole you, the expectation that if you are hired you'll have to be "one of the boys" so get good at making dick jokes.

But whatevs, every industry has it's own bullshit. If you want to play, you gotta play by the rules or play by yourself.

My favorite client is a woman. She is a fantastic producer, and she didn't do too bad on the one project she directed.

I've worked with/for women that I could not stand - they used their gender as a bludgeon or an excuse. That's okay, I've worked with/for men I couldn't stand, either.

I don't give an air-born fornication about gender, race, orientation, nationality, etc., etc., etc. All I care about is talent and competence; if you do your job well, if you work hard and if you treat me with courtesy & respect I will reciprocate.

The truth is, yes it is (still) harder for women to make it, but the good news is it's a hot button issue in the indie film world and every major festival is pushing for more women on screen and behind the camera.

I think for Sundance this year, something like 7 out of 11 of the directors in the NEXT category were female.

Just keep making films and play to your strengths.

I was very disheartened to say the least. Being a young female, I was always worrying about the things that could halt my career (...) I want someone to prove me wrong. I wish someone could give me an opposing argument, to soothe my worrying mind and tell me it's not so. I don't want this to be accurate

It doesn't matter how many people reassure you that it's possible, if you are reliant on other people reassuring you that it's possible. If you need our collective permission to even get started on a challenging career path, you've already lost.

The further up the ladder you go, the more like Highlander it becomes - there can be only one! - and if you have eyes on a Bigelow-level position, there's gonna be plenty of fallen, headless bodies along the road to that tier of success.

Stop worrying about the myriad of events that could hinder you, and just get out there & do it. One day at a time. Don't let your opportunities be defined by other peoples' expectations. Sure, there's plenty of jerks out there, but that doesn't matter. Focusing on the negative will only invite more of the same. If you build a little confidence, I'm sure you'll do fine. *

...for a girl.
smiley_creepy.gif

Yes there are fewer female directors. So what?

Be a great director and you will be a great director (or insert other profession here).

Take computer programming. It's an industry that is highly male orientated. Very few women (comparatively) are in it. Does that mean women cannot be programmers? Hell no. They can be great programmers. It's just the job tends to not appeal to them.

It can be the same for most crew roles in filming. Women tend to not choose those positions. If you do, you do. I personally don't care if you're male or female. All I care is if you're the best person capable to do the job.

It's just the job tends to not appeal to them.

It can be the same for most crew roles in filming. Women tend to not choose those positions.
I'd be a little careful saying things like that, I'd say that the jobs that "appeal to women" are more a product of the conditioning of society (and also the fact that such jobs are hard to get into as a woman due to a once much stronger mysoginistic undercurrent in the industry, and now more to do with the gender imbalance in part scaring people off and hence maintaining a gender imbalance - forming a vicious cycle) rather than a result of genetics. Not that's what you were saying, but yeah.

But otherwise I agree, the industry is perhaps a little slower to progress than others (a lot of entertainment industries are criticised as being conservative and unwilling to evolve with times, particularly around issues of copyright) but in general I think there is going to be far less (malicious) sexism in the industry. Hell, you might get what you had in my nearly-field (I dropped out), engineering where Women are more likely to get a job as a reaction to the gender imbalance and the wanting to appear progressive.

I'd say that the jobs that "appeal to women" are more a product of the conditioning of society.
Well, there are jobs that are statistically more appealing to women or men. In some of the Scandinavian countries where the opportunities to pursue any carrier are practically equal for both of the genders there are still jobs that are primarily either male or female. For example men don't want to do nursing. The girls are kicking boys asses academically but they still choose not to go into engineering even though they are being actively recruited by the universities. Another example for the Americans: after the U.S. military is started accepting women, how come the military isn't now 50 / 50 male to female? Now, there are some field that have seen noticeable changes after increased gender equality like for example medicine. Why is this happening in medicine and not engineering? Because medicine is on average more interesting to women than engineering. Why is this? culture? Nature or nurture? Who knows.

Looking at this forum or Youtube, it seems that there are more men interested in filmmaking than women. Assuming that gender plays no role in success (beacuse of different treatment etc.), the ratio of successful female directors to successful male directors would have to be same as the ratio of women interested in filmmaking to men interested in filmmaking. If you could calculate these ratios, you could determine if being a woman is a hindrance/ women are being underrepresented or if being a woman is an asset. Currently it probably is a slight hindrance if you are trying to get a studio gig and probably makes a very small difference in the indie world.

Well, there are jobs that are statistically more appealing to women or men. In some of the Scandinavian countries where the opportunities to pursue any carrier are practically equal for both of the genders there are still jobs that are primarily either male or female. For example men don't want to do nursing. The girls are kicking boys asses academically but they still choose not to go into engineering even though they are being actively recruited by the universities. Another example for the Americans: after the U.S. military is started accepting women, how come the military isn't now 50 / 50 male to female? Now, there are some field that have seen noticeable changes after increased gender equality like for example medicine. Why is this happening in medicine and not engineering? Because medicine is on average more interesting to women than engineering. Why is this? culture? Nature or nurture? Who knows.

Looking at this forum or Youtube, it seems that there are more men interested in filmmaking than women. Assuming that gender plays no role in success (beacuse of different treatment etc.), the ratio of successful female directors to successful male directors would have to be same as the ratio of women interested in filmmaking to men interested in filmmaking. If you could calculate these ratios, you could determine if being a woman is a hindrance/ women are being underrepresented or if being a woman is an asset. Currently it probably is a slight hindrance if you are trying to get a studio gig and probably makes a very small difference in the indie world.
WHile I agree there will be of course a natural variation to career preferences amongst the genders (there are of course, genetic differences between sexes) my point was that these differences are largely accentuated by societal pressures and expectations.

I can't say a lot on Scandinavian countries, given I've not lived there and done little study on them outside news articles; but gender roles and expectations still play a huge role in our society. New Zealand, where I'm from tries to sell itself as a progressive country - and for the most part, the country is very gender neutral and forward thinking. But whilst opportunity is relatively equal, you are still raised as a child to believe that if you're a boy taht you should like the colour blue, play with lego and like fixing things (personally I think filmmaking appeals to me as an artform which I can approach very scientifically - I'm not sure if others see it that way too), whereas girls like pink, play with barbie dolls and are more interested in humanities. Universities here actively recruit females in the male dominated fields - but regardless, there is immediate suspicion and prejudices subtly put on a woman in engineering. It's not too bad, and imagine it was a lot worse, but if she's attractive I noticed a number male peers would view her as a sexual object, and if not, then she was pretty much segregated from the group (yet these guys had female friends in other faculties).

So I think, at least part of the reason that female's are uninterested in certain careers is due to societal conditioning. Applying that to film; film seems to be generally thought of as a masculine art form. Outside actresses (who, bar a few struggle to maintain careers once their looks fade) the general public would likely be unable to name many female filmmakers. A lot of the stories we tell are centred around male protagonists, and it hasn't been until the last few generations of filmmakers that more in depth female rolls started to exist (not that they didn't, it's just compared to men, you're much likely to have a female who represents little more than sexual desire). It's also a kinda nerdy thing to like films and want to make them as a kid - at least it was where i grew up -, and nerd subculture which for I guess a number of reasons (maybe related to boy play with lego, girls play with barbie) is largely dominated by males. So girls are naturally going to be less likely to be attracted to making films. Those who are probably wouldn't have many friends interested to encourage their interest.

So, again, it's kinda a vicious cycle. Certainly I do believe it's getting better, but we can't ignore the role that history and society played in creating that imbalance. Maybe in several generations the ratio will have improved and steadied out, perhaps indicating more a natural inclination for a certain genders to have interest in film. In my film papers (granted, at uni, not film school, so they're more academically inclined), as a male, I am massively outnumbered by females (about 5:1) - so I do question whether there is less interest from females.

I'd be a little careful saying things like that, I'd say that the jobs that "appeal to women" are more a product of the conditioning of society

But really, why care about why? It's not like we're going to put that much time and energy into changing the status-quo. I'm simply saying this is how it is. If a woman wanted to be a fireman and was physically capable of performing the job, I say all the best to you. Learn what the barriers to entry will be for you and then decide whether you want to go that route.

There is no good reason why a woman cannot be a director (if that's her fancy). It comes down to her skill set and value. It's a creative field. Will there be challenges? Yes, sure. Will they be due to her being a female? I doubt it.

Back