Can someone offer some assistance in breaking down a screenplay?

I can't seem to find a line producer to work on a deferred pay basis, to help me breakdown the script and create the schedule and the budget so I decided to just come here and ask if anyone can assist me in going through the process and doing it myself? Kind of like advising/consulting me as to how to do it? Because I'm serious about getting my film up and running but if I could get some help on breaking down the script and creating shooting schedule and budget, that will get me up and running to get seek out financing so I can pay crew members to work on my project. So can someone offer me some advising/consulting through the process of breaking down the script and creating the shooting schedule and budget?

Hey Kid, I actually have some example breakdown sheets and production strips from an old short of mine up on my website (for free, cuz I'm awesome like that) if you want to check it out. I've also got a pdf explaining the process.

It's under the 'resources' tab.
http://www.satyricafilms.com

Let me know if you need any more help.

Hey Kid, I actually have some example breakdown sheets and production strips from an old short of mine up on my website (for free, cuz I'm awesome like that) if you want to check it out. I've also got a pdf explaining the process.

It's under the 'resources' tab.
http://www.satyricafilms.com

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thank you, I appreciate that :) yeah I actually have done the breakdown sheets part of the breaking down of the script, now I'm at the part of trying to figure out how to create the shooting schedule and the budget, I'm kind of clueless on those things. Is creating the shooting schedule the same thing as doing production strips?

Sort of. Though someone else can chime in with a more legit "hollywood" approach. This is the way I do it, I think it's pretty similar to the way real pros do it, but I might be wrong. What matters is it works, and makes your life as a producer much easier.

Production strips are basically going to help you create the schedule (it's the easiest way I can think of, and I can't imagine trying to put a schedule together without them). Did you read the pdf on that page I linked to? I went into the process and how it helps you plan your schedule in that file.

How you schedule is based on a several factors, the first step is really just how many pages can you shoot in a day? From there you take your production strips and start moving them around to make your shoot as efficient as possible. You can group the scenes by location, what actors are in them, what other resources you may need, putting up to that 6 pages amount in a single day before moving on to the next one. If that makes sense?

I'm off to work now, but I'd be glad to help more later if you need still it.

So can someone offer me some advising/consulting through the process of breaking down the script and creating the shooting schedule and budget?

Looks like you're in good hands with Dready in this regard.

that will get me up and running to get seek out financing so I can pay crew members to work on my project.

Seeking finance is more complex than just a schedule and a budget. I'm not sure how much awareness you have on this topic. Those pieces are part of the puzzle, which is commonly called the package.

Well how many scenes can one shoot per day?

Ok let me ask quickly, how many scenes can one normally shoot in a day, if the call time is seven in the morning and ends at seven at night? I was going to try for at least six scenes a day.....

Ok let me ask quickly, how many scenes can one normally shoot in a day, if the call time is seven in the morning and ends at seven at night? I was going to try for at least six scenes a day.....

Think in terms of pages, not scenes. It all depends on the complexity of what you're shooting, how efficient your crew is. Dialog heavy scenes will often be faster than lots of action.

If you stick to 3 or 4 pages a day you will have lots of time to get everything right and do a great job. It's not unheard of for indie productions to shoot 12 pages in a day, but that will be a marathon and production value will almost certainly suffer. Start out by scheduling for your ideal pace (remembering that it can often take 30-45min to set up a single shot) and then give yourself more work if that schedule puts you outside your budget.

Ok lastly, is this how a production board strip is supposed to look? I'm trying to get a feel for how a filled in one looks along with the one I found on your page:

Production-Board1.jpg

Unfortunately that's a piece of string question.

Not every scene is created equal. You can shoot more than 6 scenes in a day. Hell, I've been on a set where we shot about 17 pages in 4 to 5 hours. Mind you, that was all talking heads on Green screen with actors who mostly delivered in one take using multiple cameras. You may even have a long, single scene that takes several days (or more) as can happen with very complex and/or dangerous scenes.

There are other factors that come into play. For instance, if you're shooting a film using natural light, you're going to be able to shoot a lot more since you're not spending time lighting. Large complex night time scenes where you need to light large amounts of real estate can be very time consuming.

Other factors are company moves (moving to another location), experience of the cast and crew, the coverage required etc. That doesn't take into account issues that may come up, weather, noise, traffic, accidents, equipment failures, actors who are unprepared/miss lines/marks and the list continues.

Yeah, that's the basic idea. There's no hard and fast rules as an indie filmmaker, just make sure it has the information that's relevant to you. I agree with Sweetie, location is kind of a biggie as far as planning goes.

Personally, once I get all the information I need in the strips, I like to print them out and physically rearrange them on a foam-core poster board using sticky tack. I just find it easier to organize in my mind that way, rather that cutting and pasting columns in excel. Also, it gives you something to have on set so everyone can look at it and know what the day's goals are.

I can't seem to find a line producer to work on a deferred pay basis, to help me breakdown the script and create the schedule and the budget so I decided to just come here and ask if anyone can assist me in going through the process and doing it myself? Kind of like advising/consulting me as to how to do it?
I'll help.

Everything that is in the scene needs to be included in the
breakdown. If there is a puppy it needs to be mentioned
in the breakdown. If the script calls for a picture of a puppy
that prop needs to be included in the breakdown.

Are you ready for the production strips? Have you done a
full, complete breakdown?

Back