Can someone help me pick crowfuding site for my film?

you guys are reaching maybe. Is there some rule that says you cant introduce your film through crowdfunding.

Absolutely not. It's just that it's not nearly as likely to succeed if you haven't put in some time beforehand. You're welcome to try though - let us know when the campaign is live and how it goes.

And name all these projects that had such a head of steam behind them before they got there

Ok, here's a few big ones:

The guy behind nofilmschool.com raised over $125k for his feature. He estimates he put in 8 hours a day for six weeks promoting the campaign while it was live - and that was after a year and a half of building a reputation and potential audience with his site:

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/09/how-i-raised-125000-on-kickstarter

Freddie Wong raised over $275k (against a $75k goal) for his web series Video Game High School after putting in years building an audience of millions for his videos first via his youtube channel. His second and third season campaigns raised over $800k each:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/freddiew/video-game-high-school
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/freddiew/video-game-high-school-season-two
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/video-game-high-school-vghs-season-3

Indie Game: The Movie raised over $150k via crowdfunding - and they built their audience during production by steadily releasing clips from the film as they shot it via blogs and social media over a year and a half. They have a full case study of the process - including over 10,000 emails, 14,000 tweets, and 180 blog posts - here:

http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/news/2012/11/1/indie-game-case-study-tech-audience.html

Now your goals may be lower than theirs, but the basic principle is the same - if you want people to support your campaign they need to know about it. The more time you put in building your crowd beforehand, the more successful your crowdfunding efforts will be.

Here's an exercise: start with the amount you want to raise - lets use $10k as an example.

The average kickstarter pledge for film projects is about $75. (source)

$10,000/$75 = 133 backers.

So you need to convince 133 people to contribute to your campaign.

The average conversion rate (percentage of people who visit your campaign page and then eventually pledge) is ~2.4% (source)

So that means you need to get about 42x as many visitors to your page as you need to contribute.

42*133 = 5586 visitors to your campaign page.

So that's your base starting point - do you currently have the resources to put your campaign link in front of approximately 5600 people? Do you have that many friends? Likes on your facebook page? Twitter followers? Subscribers to an email list? Subscribers to your youtube channel? Members of your church? Brothers at your college fraternity? Doesn't matter where they come from, you just need a way to reach out to them with your campaign.

Of course that's making the assumption that everyone who you send your link to actually becomes a visitor to your campaign page - not a safe assumption. There's always another 'conversion' level - the percentage of people you reach out to who actually come check out your link. When you look at response rates for things like email campaigns, facebook posts, etc you'll find that typical conversion rates are less than 10%, sometimes even less than 1% (typically the closer your relationship with the people you reach out to, the better the response rate - another argument for building a real fan base rather than just marketing to anonymous masses). (email conversion rates) (facebook link conversion rates) (twitter link click-through rates)

Lets assume for arguments sake that do you get a full 10% of the people you reach out to who eventually visit your campaign. So now you need to reach 10x as many people to hit your 5500 visitor target - that's 55,000 people - at minimum - that you need to be able to get your link in front of. If you don't get that kind of click through the numbers could be in the hundreds of thousands.

If you're trying to raise more than $10k you'll have to multiply that number again. Based on my own experience (detailed in a previous post) that seems about right - I'm sure we put the link in front of well over 100k people to hit our $20k goal.

So, again, the question is do you have a way to reach that many people? And if the answer is currently that you don't, then what are you going to do to change that?

Last edited:
Absolutely not. It's just that it's not nearly as likely to succeed if you haven't put in some time beforehand. You're welcome to try though - let us know when the campaign is live and how it goes.

Ok, here's a few big ones:

The guy behind nofilmschool.com raised over $125k for his feature. He estimates he put in 8 hours a day for six weeks promoting the campaign while it was live - and that was after a year and a half of building a reputation and potential audience with his site:

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/09/how-i-raised-125000-on-kickstarter

Freddie Wong raised over $275k (against a $75k goal) for his web series Video Game High School after putting in years building an audience of millions for his videos first via his youtube channel. His second and third season campaigns raised over $800k each:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/freddiew/video-game-high-school
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/freddiew/video-game-high-school-season-two
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/video-game-high-school-vghs-season-3

Indie Game: The Movie raised over $150k via crowdfunding - and they built their audience during production by steadily releasing clips from the film as they shot it via blogs and social media over a year and a half. They have a full case study of the process here:

http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/news/2012/11/1/indie-game-case-study-tech-audience.html

Now your goals may be lower than theirs, but the basic principle is the same - if you want people to support your campaign they need to know about it. The more time you put in building your crowd beforehand, the more successful your crowdfunding efforts will be.

Here's an exercise: start the amount you want to raise - lets use $10k as an example.

The average kickstarter pledge for film projects is about $75. (source)

$10,000/$75 = 133 backers.

So you need to convince 133 people to contribute to your campaign.

The average conversion rate (percentage of people who visit your campaign page and then eventually pledge) is ~2.4% (source)

So that means you need to get about 42x as many visitors to your page as you need to contribute.

42*133 = 5586 visitors to your campaign page.

So that's your base starting point - do you currently have the resources to put your campaign link in front of approximately 5600 people? Do you have that many friends? Likes on your facebook page? Twitter followers? Subscribers to an email list? Subscribers to your youtube channel? Members of your church? Brothers at your college fraternity? Doesn't matter where they come from, you just need a way to reach out to them with your campaign.

Of course that's making the assumption that everyone who you send your link to actually becomes a visitor to your campaign page - not a safe assumption. There's always another 'conversion' level - the percentage of people you reach out to who actually come check out your link. When you look at response rates for things like email campaigns, facebook posts, etc you'll find that typical conversion rates are less than 10%, sometimes even less than 1% (typically the closer your relationship with the people you reach out to, the better the response rate - another argument for building a real fan base rather than just marketing to anonymous masses). (email conversion rates) (facebook link conversion rates) (twitter link click-through rates)

Lets assume for arguments sake that do you get a full 10% of the people you reach out to who eventually visit your campaign. So now you need to reach 10x as many people to hit your 5500 visitor target - that's 55,000 people - at minimum - that you need to be able to get your link in front of. If you don't get that kind of click through the numbers could be in the hundreds of thousands.

If you're trying to raise more than $10k you'll have to multiply that number again. Based on my own experience (detailed in a previous post) that seems about right - I'm sure we put the link in front of well over 100k people to hit our $20k goal.

So, again, the question is do you have a way to reach that many people? And if the answer is currently that you don't, then what are you going to do to change that?

ok cool . so i will mention that the guy from nofilmschool already had that going for him.

So you cant generate interest by just having something awesome on indiegogo.

i'm an artist not a social media nerd. I wont do all that. I mentioned believing i have a film that wont need so much effort to be marketed. it will speak for itself. My question is cant you post a crowdfunding campaign and people willl notice it thats what the site is for isn t it?

Maybe - I suppose it depends on just how "awesome" it is. Unfortunately that term gets overused quite a bit, and things that are truly awesome are pretty rare. Plus, what you think is awesome may or may not be what other people think is. So until you give it a shot it's tough to say if it's possible for your particular project or not.

My question is cant you post a crowdfunding campaign and people willl notice it thats what the site is for isn t it?

You can certainly try and let us know how it goes.

But no, that's not really what those sites are for. They're for hosting your campaign and collecting the pledges. Think of them like an ecommerce tool - if you set up a website to sell something, but didn't do any marketing or promotion to get people to come visit and shop, would you expect to sell anything?

I think theres a misconception that sites like indiegogo and kickstarter just have crowds of people visiting them every day looking to see what new projects have come up today that they could contribute to. Unfortunately that's not really how it works - you may get some people visiting your campaign while browsing the site, but it's not going to be a huge number and it may be difficult to get them interested in your particular project.

i'm an artist not a social media nerd. I wont do all that.

Then, again - maybe crowdfunding isn't for you. There are plenty of other options, none of which are easy but they may be easier for you.

I dont see how word of mouth locally or a press release is going to do much.

This response is exactly the reason you need a publicist and/or a PMD. Your shallow understanding of the subject is only going to hurt your potential. You need to use the right tool for the right job. Do you think using filmmakers to help guide you in the world of marketing is the smartest option available? An early question you had has some merit. You may be better off talking to marketing people.

I have a worthwhille project that will be finished that could use some post production help

Don't we all.

Oh wait, I mean... Oh wow, you're the only person in the world who has a worthwhile project.

Is there some rule that says you cant introduce your film through crowdfunding.

I'm sure someone out there has written this rule, but who cares? If it's the right move for your film, then do it.

Lets assume for arguments sake that do you get a full 10% of the people you reach out to who eventually visit your campaign.

The numbers can be that high for those who personally know you (usually you'll find them to be lower), to those who don't have a personal connection with you, the numbers are typically sub 1%. In marketing circles, if you can get 2% or higher response rate, you're a marketing god... in reality it's not quite like that, but you get the point. The numbers you think you need to funnel into your campaign, increase it.... then double it, then double it again and you'll still probably come up short by a factor of 10.

THIS^^^^^

It comes down to a simple topic. How many people at any time are actively searching for your project? While there are people rummaging through these sites, you could count the amount of people who have money to spare and doing this on your fingers. It's atypical behavior.

I wont do all that.

That's your choice. You don't have to do any of it. If you've always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got (yes, horrible English, but if you read, you'll understand the meaning). You've got your current fanbase (probably your immediate family). If those are rich enough to support your campaign, you're golden. If not, you may need to extend your marketing reach.

I mentioned believing i have a film that wont need so much effort to be marketed. it will speak for itself.

Who cares? Yep, that's the actual question. Who cares? Who are your evangelists? If your film truely fell into this category, your fans would have already build your fanbase for you.

There are lots and lots of movies that fall into this category. Can you name a single one of them? Just one of them? No? That's because years (decades for some) later, they're still waiting for their fanbase to discover them.

My question is cant you post a crowdfunding campaign and people willl notice it thats what the site is for isn t it?

They are a crowd funding site. Their job is to maintain the site, collect the funds and distribute the funds if said conditions are met. They have said time and again that they leave the marketing to the campaigns. Its your job. If you don't want to do it, so be it. You can post it up there and let it rot. 99% of campaigns fall into the same hole that you're hoping you fit into. Those campaigns virtually always fail. As I said before, there's a chance that someone will pick up the ball and run with it, though those stories are a rarity.

If you want an entertaining method to explain this, watch a TV show called "Shark Tank". It's about pitching business ideas to get funding. It's a different topic, though you may get the overall gist of what's being said to you through that. You have to bust your ass. A lot of what you need to do may push you outside your comfort zone. Most of it probably isn't something you want to do. That's fine. You just don't see the results you want if the work doesn't get done. From what I read, you need to find a partner who is both, capable of doing the business and marketing side of filming and also believes in your project as much as you do.

Film making has more to do with marketing than most people want to believe.

i'm an artist not a social media nerd.

I wouldn't start with this disrespectful line when trying to recruit.

Good luck.

This response is exactly the reason you need a publicist and/or a PMD. Your shallow understanding of the subject is only going to hurt your potential. You need to use the right tool for the right job. Do you think using filmmakers to help guide you in the world of marketing is the smartest option available? An early question you had has some merit. You may be better off talking to marketing people.

Don't we all.

Oh wait, I mean... Oh wow, you're the only person in the world who has a worthwhile project.

I'm sure someone out there has written this rule, but who cares? If it's the right move for your film, then do it.

The numbers can be that high for those who personally know you (usually you'll find them to be lower), to those who don't have a personal connection with you, the numbers are typically sub 1%. In marketing circles, if you can get 2% or higher response rate, you're a marketing god... in reality it's not quite like that, but you get the point. The numbers you think you need to funnel into your campaign, increase it.... then double it, then double it again and you'll still probably come up short by a factor of 10.

THIS^^^^^

It comes down to a simple topic. How many people at any time are actively searching for your project? While there are people rummaging through these sites, you could count the amount of people who have money to spare and doing this on your fingers. It's atypical behavior.

That's your choice. You don't have to do any of it. If you've always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got (yes, horrible English, but if you read, you'll understand the meaning). You've got your current fanbase (probably your immediate family). If those are rich enough to support your campaign, you're golden. If not, you may need to extend your marketing reach.

Who cares? Yep, that's the actual question. Who cares? Who are your evangelists? If your film truely fell into this category, your fans would have already build your fanbase for you.

There are lots and lots of movies that fall into this category. Can you name a single one of them? Just one of them? No? That's because years (decades for some) later, they're still waiting for their fanbase to discover them.

They are a crowd funding site. Their job is to maintain the site, collect the funds and distribute the funds if said conditions are met. They have said time and again that they leave the marketing to the campaigns. Its your job. If you don't want to do it, so be it. You can post it up there and let it rot. 99% of campaigns fall into the same hole that you're hoping you fit into. Those campaigns virtually always fail. As I said before, there's a chance that someone will pick up the ball and run with it, though those stories are a rarity.

If you want an entertaining method to explain this, watch a TV show called "Shark Tank". It's about pitching business ideas to get funding. It's a different topic, though you may get the overall gist of what's being said to you through that. You have to bust your ass. A lot of what you need to do may push you outside your comfort zone. Most of it probably isn't something you want to do. That's fine. You just don't see the results you want if the work doesn't get done. From what I read, you need to find a partner who is both, capable of doing the business and marketing side of filming and also believes in your project as much as you do.

Good luck.
i appreciate your help . but no i wouldnt call these crowfunding projects good . And most indie films aren't worthwhile they are hobbyists trying to kill time

Don't we all.

THIS^^^^^

Good luck.
yes hiring a company for marketing would probably be the best bet . It would mostly be done on social media but as long as i'm not doing it

Still no one has really said what people do to hype their own film. Surely posting it on your youtube page or telling your friends werent the only options?

A couple of the links I posted earlier provided case-studies on how the filmmakers built successful campaigns - that would be a good place to start.

I can certainly give you a rough rundown of what I think would be a sensible approach, but I'm not really feeling like I should put the time in - you've already said you aren't going to do it.

I wont do all that.

So what's the point of explaining it to you? There's no "one weird trick" for generating buzz. It's all going to be work that you clearly aren't interested in doing.

A couple of the links I posted earlier provided case-studies on how the filmmakers built successful campaigns - that would be a good place to start.

I can certainly give you a rough rundown of what I think would be a sensible approach, but I'm not really feeling like I should put the time in - you've already said you aren't going to do it.

So what's the point of explaining it to you? There's no "one weird trick" for generating buzz. It's all going to be work that you clearly aren't interested in doing.

thanks for your help. Appreciate it. i will look at those links sorry

but no i wouldnt call these crowfunding projects good . And most indie films aren't worthwhile they are hobbyists trying to kill time

Nice of you to prove my point I suppose. Everyone thinks their baby is beautiful. Yourself included.

Still no one has really said what people do to hype their own film.

Of course not. You're coming across as a spoilt brat who expects everything to be handed to him. Someone who isn't willing to do what's needed to get the results they desire. You haven't done even basic research on the internet for case studies of films that have done their own distribution or crowd funding campaigns. It's obvious to me that you're expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver platter... either that or you're a lazy schmuck.... or both.... or worse. Who's going to spill their secrets when you come across like that?

Surely posting it on your youtube page or telling your friends werent the only options?

Are you daft? You're not listening to what's blatantly being said to you, let alone reading anything between the lines. There are very few good filmmakers. There are very few good marketers. The chances of getting both together is very rare. Is it going to make any sense to you if I say I think you need to recruit evangelists though grass root campaigns and leverage that using guerrilla marketing and publicity techniques, though you neither possess the skills, temperament, nor the employee reach to achieve this first step.

It all comes down to strategy and reach. Strategy depends on the product and target market. Without that start, your reach is moot. Get it yet?

yes hiring a company for marketing would probably be the best bet

They charge the big bucks because they're good at it.

Though, you may become the punch line to the jokes that goes similar to this: How do you make a medium sized business? Take a big business and run it into the ground.

It would mostly be done on social media but as long as i'm not doing it

Some of it sure, though retail marketing (or door to door marketing, whatever you want to call it) may not be what gives you the results you're after. There are better (more wholesale) methods open. There are plenty of ideas from this thread. Have you tried any yet? What worked, what didn't?

The reason you're going to need someone to help you is every film is different and has its own requirements. They all have their own specific target markets which need to be contacts a different way and respond to materials differently. You don't even possess the basic understanding that marketing WILL be required for your film to have a chance of succeeding and you obviously don't have the remedial understanding that basic financing tools aren't marketing tools.

You're not even capable of answering the questions posters have asked.

So what's the point of explaining it to you?

Congrats David. You've managed to get one of the most patient people on this forum dismissing you. That's quite a feat. Well done.

Once again, good luck. You're going to need it.

Well, you can always try sit with your mouth open and expect fried chickens to fly into it...

Just posting your campaign on KS or IGG is like throwing a message in a bottle in the ocean hoping someone will find it AND reply.

The way you dismiss that you can potentially reach 4000 people with a single press release is ignorant at best. There will be a part of that group that will hear about the campaign in different ways if you activate your friend, fans and art/business relations.
And there is the possibility people with enough money get interested. People you may not even know existed.

There is no single button to push to get the money flow your way.

Even the tech gadgets on KS that get overpledged 10 times didn't just post and wait.
They let the right ones know, so it got posted on blogs about tech gadgets and people share such blogs. And when they gather momentum, it's another reason to let people know they are getting a lot of attention and pledges. (You see what happens: they use the news they get a lot of attention to get even more attention! :P )

Nice of you to prove my point I suppose. Everyone thinks their baby is beautiful. Yourself included.

Of course not. You're coming across as a spoilt brat who expects everything to be handed to him. Someone who isn't willing to do what's needed to get the results they desire. You haven't done even basic research on the internet for case studies of films that have done their own distribution or crowd funding campaigns. It's obvious to me that you're expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver platter... either that or you're a lazy schmuck.... or both.... or worse. Who's going to spill their secrets when you come across like that?

Are you daft? You're not listening to what's blatantly being said to you, let alone reading anything between the lines. There are very few good filmmakers. There are very few good marketers. The chances of getting both together is very rare. Is it going to make any sense to you if I say I think you need to recruit evangelists though grass root campaigns and leverage that using guerrilla marketing and publicity techniques, though you neither possess the skills, temperament, nor the employee reach to achieve this first step.

It all comes down to strategy and reach. Strategy depends on the product and target market. Without that start, your reach is moot. Get it yet?

Though, you may become the punch line to the jokes that goes similar to this: How do you make a medium sized business? Take a big business and run it into the ground.

Some of it sure, though retail marketing (or door to door marketing, whatever you want to call it) may not be what gives you the results you're after. There are better (more wholesale) methods open. There are plenty of ideas from this thread. Have you tried any yet? What worked, what didn't?

The reason you're going to need someone to help you is every film is different and has its own requirements. They all have their own specific target markets which need to be contacts a different way and respond to materials differently. You don't even possess the basic understanding that marketing WILL be required for your film to have a chance of succeeding and you obviously don't have the remedial understanding that basic financing tools aren't marketing tools.

Congrats David. You've managed to get one of the most patient people on this forum dismissing you. That's quite a feat. Well done.

what questions didnt i answer?

yes there are few good filmmakers maybe some get to film festivals and then some have to be on here talking about the things you are talking about. All these secrets you guys have yet no success with them or your films

thanks

yes there are few good filmmakers maybe some get to film festivals and then some have to be on here talking about the things you are talking about. All these secrets you guys have yet no success with them or your films

thanks

and ofcourse a film needs marketing . We are talking about a crowdfunding campaign thats different.

If a film is good that also helps marketing does it not. Why spend time on a film marketing yourself that no one cares about?

Please tell me you're not that ignorant that this is a serious question. Anyone capable of reading and who has half a brain could answer that question. Perhaps I gave you too much credit.

We are talking about a crowdfunding campaign thats different.

How exactly is it different?

If a film is good that also helps marketing does it not.
If a film is never seen, is it still a good film?

Why spend time on a film marketing yourself that no one cares about?

To gain a return on investment.

I guess you really haven't learned anything from this thread have you? If you don't market your film, of course people don't care about your film. Same with the crowd funding campaign.

How can they care? They don't even know about it....

Please tell me you're not that ignorant that this is a serious question. Anyone capable of reading and who has half a brain could answer that question. Perhaps I gave you too much credit.

How exactly is it different?

If a film is never seen, is it still a good film?

To gain a return on investment.

I guess you really haven't learned anything from this thread have you? If you don't market your film, of course people don't care about your film. Same with the crowd funding campaign.

How can they care? They don't even know about it....

no Really i'm asking you what didnt i answer? there werent alot of questions..

Marketing a finished film and helping it to be what you want it to through fundraising to totally different things. One is using money to get film out there and the other is trying to gain money to get it done.

I"m not talking about my film when i say no one cares. I 'm Saying how can you market something not worth marketing as many do. Something good can take off or be shown somewhere. Something that looks good may gain interest on its own.

you can stop calling me daft. I dont think i've warranted that. Out of the box thinking isnt daft and i'm not trying to promote a student film here. Recognize a different situation and just give help if you want but dont assume i know nothing . I've proven i dont

Marketing a finished film and helping it to be what you want it to through fundraising to totally different things. One is using money to get film out there and the other is trying to gain money to get it done.

I now see why you're having troubles. You just don't understand what crowd funding really is. What's the difference between marketing a film and marketing your crowd funding campaign.... one is where you're trying to get the consumer to give you money... the other... you're trying to sell tickets.... oh wait... give you money.

I 'm Saying how can you market something not worth marketing as many do.

Hollywood does it all the time.

you can stop calling me daft. I dont think i've warranted that

You really have. I'm calling like I see it. When you start acting like a mature intelligent individual I'll be more than happy to change my tune.

Out of the box thinking isnt daft

You're right, out of the box thinking isn't daft. In fact out of the box thinking and actions are needed if you don't have a 7+ figure budget to market. Sticking your head in the sand is daft.

i'm not trying to promote a student film here.

Sure, why not.

dont assume i know nothing

At this point, I'm beyond assumption.

While I am more than willing to help people, I don't tolerate fools easily. My observation is you think you already know the answers at which point you are either playing the idiot rather well or you genuinely are one and don't know it yet. I also suspect you're simply looking for someone to point you in the right direction where the "Dummies guide to crowd funding" magic answers lie.

The truth is you screwed up with your budget. I think you've got an unfinished film and you're hoping to find money to finish your film, whether it be post production or marketing. You think Crowd funding is the answer to your problem. Who knows, it could be, though with your "I won't do" attitude, crowd funding is unlikely to be a good match. While the general public may be a little more forgiving than me, they usually don't part with their money to people who don't deserve it.

Others tried the, "Here's the information you need" and you ignored it. I tried the "Shove you in the right direction" method. You dug your heels in. I've since tried the "lets see if making him angry prods him towards action" technique. I suspect that isn't going to work. Maybe you just wanted your 15 seconds of fame. Maybe the "Let you fade into nothing" may be the technique you need the most so you can move on to the next chapter of your life. Filmmaking belongs to those who grab if y the horns and hold on tight. Those who will do anything to make their dream a reality.

Run a successful campaign, or hold on to your beliefs. I do hope you try. I genuinely hope you succeed.

Out of the box thinking isnt daft and i'm not trying to promote a student film here.

What out of the box thinking?

The traditional route to making an independent film goes something like this: raise some money - produce the film - take it to festivals - get picked up by a distributor - distributor markets and sells film - hope you make enough to come out ahead of your original investment. That's about as 'in the box' as it gets with indie film. That's the route of the "I'm an artist not a marketer/businessman/social media nerd". That's the route you seem to be arguing for. It's a valid route, certainly, but not in any way "out of the box thinking".

All these secrets you guys have yet no success with them or your films

That's because there are no secrets. All there is is a shit-ton of hard work, with no guarantee of success at the end - in fact, there's no end at all; it's a career, a lifestyle, a choice. Either you make that choice and put in the time and effort to do whatever it takes to make yourself and your films successful, or you're just playing the lottery, sitting around waiting to be discovered.

dont assume i know nothing . I've proven i dont

Well, that's one thing we agree on.

I don't like to pile on, but...

Originally Posted by davidevans10 View Post
All these secrets you guys have yet no success with them or your films

Several people who have run successful crowdfunding campaigns have already chimed in in this thread. Some have even offered to give you more information if you're interested. Yet you ignored their posts. Hmmm.

I now see why you're having troubles. You just don't understand what crowd funding really is. What's the difference between marketing a film and marketing your crowd funding campaign.... one is where you're trying to get the consumer to give you money... the other... you're trying to sell tickets.... oh wait... give you money.

Hollywood does it all the time.

You really have. I'm calling like I see it. When you start acting like a mature intelligent individual I'll be more than happy to change my tune.

You're right, out of the box thinking isn't daft. In fact out of the box thinking and actions are needed if you don't have a 7+ figure budget to market. Sticking your head in the sand is daft.

Sure, why not.

At this point, I'm beyond assumption.

While I am more than willing to help people, I don't tolerate fools easily. My observation is you think you already know the answers at which point you are either playing the idiot rather well or you genuinely are one and don't know it yet. I also suspect you're simply looking for someone to point you in the right direction where the "Dummies guide to crowd funding" magic answers lie.

The truth is you screwed up with your budget. I think you've got an unfinished film and you're hoping to find money to finish your film, whether it be post production or marketing. You think Crowd funding is the answer to your problem. Who knows, it could be, though with your "I won't do" attitude, crowd funding is unlikely to be a good match. While the general public may be a little more forgiving than me, they usually don't part with their money to people who don't deserve it.

Others tried the, "Here's the information you need" and you ignored it. I tried the "Shove you in the right direction" method. You dug your heels in. I've since tried the "lets see if making him angry prods him towards action" technique. I suspect that isn't going to work. Maybe you just wanted your 15 seconds of fame. Maybe the "Let you fade into nothing" may be the technique you need the most so you can move on to the next chapter of your life. Filmmaking belongs to those who grab if y the horns and hold on tight. Those who will do anything to make their dream a reality.

Run a successful campaign, or hold on to your beliefs. I do hope you try. I genuinely hope you succeed.

I'm making a huge film mostly alone. I dont have time run some campaign at the same time. Two different things. Grab the bull by the horns yeah i know all about it.

I am not asking about some long drawn out campaign and asking how do it my way. You dont want to answer fine. want me to do it your way fine. There is no one way you guys should know that by now. I have funded film sorry if it makes you mad.

Spending all this time telling me info that isnt useful isnt worth your time. I was pretty clear in the beginning. Hence the waste of social media. Lost info on everyone

The traditional route to making an independent film goes something like this: raise some money - produce the film - take it to festivals - get picked up by a distributor - distributor markets and sells film - hope you make enough to come out ahead of your original investment. That's about as 'in the box' as it gets with indie film. That's the route of the "I'm an artist not a marketer/businessman/social media nerd". That's the route you seem to be arguing for. It's a valid route, certainly, but not in any way "out of the box thinking".

That's because there are no secrets. All there is is a shit-ton of hard work, with no guarantee of success at the end - in fact, there's no end at all; it's a career, a lifestyle, a choice. Either you make that choice and put in the time and effort to do whatever it takes to make yourself and your films successful, or you're just playing the lottery, sitting around waiting to be discovered.

I wasnt coming from the needing the money to make my film standpoint. So maybe alot of this advice was wrong

umm sarcasm? a double negative is what yes, a positive.

Back