Can someone help me pick crowfuding site for my film?

Seriously, you need to work on learning how to quote stuff if you're going to do it - three posts in a row, each with one or two sentence replies, quoting my entire post in each, this is getting ridiculous. I know it may seem a little 'social media nerdy' to figure out, but effective communication is worth the effort.

I am not asking about some long drawn out campaign and asking how do it my way. You dont want to answer fine. want me to do it your way fine. There is no one way you guys should know that by now.

For example, let me show you how you can selectively quote just the relevant part of the post you are replying to - here are several quotes from previous posts where Sweetie and myself explicitly acknowledge that you can do it any way you want:

You're welcome to try though - let us know when the campaign is live and how it goes.

ItDonnedOnMe said:
So until you give it a shot it's tough to say if it's possible for your particular project or not.

ItDonnedOnMe said:
You can certainly try and let us know how it goes.

I do hope you try. I genuinely hope you succeed.

That's your choice. You don't have to do any of it.

I'd guess that you're seeing crowd funding as your salvation where you can put up a pitch and people will flock to donate their money to you. Hey... If that's true, go for it.

You came here asking for advice, we gave it, you don't like it - we're fine with that! Do your campaign however you see fit, and let us know how it turns out.

I have funded film sorry if it makes you mad.

Why would that make any of us mad? I personally am happy for you - I actually like to see independent filmmakers be successful in their efforts. That's why I'm giving you the advice I am - I want to see you to succeed in your crowdfunding efforts too.

Whether you take my advice or not I sincerely hope your campaign is succesful. I hope you'll post it here as well - if your film is as good as you've been suggesting it is I will gladly contribute to it.

Seriously, you need to work on learning how to quote stuff if you're going to do it - three posts in a row, each with one or two sentence replies, quoting my entire post in each, this is getting ridiculous. I know it may seem a little 'social media nerdy' to figure out, but effective communication is worth the effort.

For example, let me show you how you can selectively quote just the relevant part of the post you are replying to - here are several quotes from previous posts where Sweetie and myself explicitly acknowledge that you can do it any way you want:

You came here asking for advice, we gave it, you don't like it - we're fine with that! Do your campaign however you see fit, and let us know how it turns out.

Why would that make any of us mad? I personally am happy for you - I actually like to see independent filmmakers be successful in their efforts. That's why I'm giving you the advice I am - I want to see you to succeed in your crowdfunding efforts too.

Whether you take my advice or not I sincerely hope your campaign is succesful. I hope you'll post it here as well - if your film is as good as you've been suggesting it is I will gladly contribute to it.

thanks for your help and no i dont know how to quote properly and its pissing me off.

sorry

I'm making a huge film mostly alone.

That is your choice. Not sure why any sane person would make this decision. Though, looking back over this thread, I'm sure it's not by your own choice. You'd be much like h44 to work with. Perhaps you two should team up. Fly on the wall to watch that train wreck anyone?

I dont have time run some campaign at the same time.

or English either it seems???

I have funded film sorry if it makes you mad.

I have to admit, it does make me a little sad. You've either spent your savings or duped some poor investor (I'm just thinking of how unlikely it is to find someone stupid enough to invest) to spending money and your pig headed nature may cause that opportunity to be lost, assuming there was an opportunity to start with. With how down to earth you appear to be (Yes, that's sarcasm) I doubt you are capable of determining what is worth anyone's interest (not sarcastic).

I don't think I have ever been so confused from reading a thread.

What is your main goal?

To start a crowd funding campaign? But I see you mention that you don't need funding, right? So why bother with even messing with crowd funding!?

Which leads me to another post/reply where you mention you are just looking to market your film and get it out there, right? Well, don't use a crowdfunding site to do that. Get creative and market your "unfinished" film by other means.

I just don't get what is trying to be done here...

Are you simply looking how to market your unfinished film?

I don't think I have ever been so confused from reading a thread.

What is your main goal?

To start a crowd funding campaign? But I see you mention that you don't need funding, right? So why bother with even messing with crowd funding!?

Which leads me to another post/reply where you mention you are just looking to market your film and get it out there, right? Well, don't use a crowdfunding site to do that. Get creative and market your "unfinished" film by other means.

I just don't get what is trying to be done here...

Are you simply looking how to market your unfinished film?

so you cant get marketing money of indie gogo from a finished film or help with post production funds?

who says you cant?

Okay, so you're looking to crowd fund your almost finished film for marketing money/post production funds?

Nobody said you can't.

I'm trying to figure out what your end goal is because this entire thread has been a confusing mess. Reading all of the replies, I didn't know you were trying to crowd fund for marketing money/post production funds....

Crowdfunding for marketing is not at all rare. People usually say something vague like 'we need money to finish the film' and then list how you can spend $20,000 dollars (which is remarkably easy!) in plausible ways. The real goal, of course, is to build an attached audience for your film, and it makes sense, because crowdfunders are extremely loyal to your production, and once they're staked in it, you have 100, 200, 1000 people who are promoting, sharing and talking about your work. A 1000 people who mention your project to 100 friends each, say, on Twitter and Facebook (conservative estimate) is worth $20,000 in its own right.

That said, this thread is utter madness.

I'm making a huge film mostly alone.

This line makes absolutely no sense. You say that the film is already funded – so funded that we're all jealous of it – yet you're making it 'mostly alone'? What possible reason could you have for that?

Maybe do a crowdfunding campaign to raise some money to assemble a decent, talented crew around you who can take on some of the burden of this 'huge' film, because, trust me, no-one, nowhere has EVER made a 'huge' film 'mostly alone'.

Okay, so you're looking to crowd fund your almost finished film for marketing money/post production funds?

Nobody said you can't.

I'm trying to figure out what your end goal is because this entire thread has been a confusing mess. Reading all of the replies, I didn't know you were trying to crowd fund for marketing money/post production funds....

i agree its confusing . i thought my questions were straighforward. but people start talking about assumptions or only their way or responding to things i said out of frustration for not getting straightforward answers

Nobody said you can't.

My end goals would be the film i want in its entirety and just enough money to get it out there to the point that it can take off (if its meant to)

Crowdfunding for marketing is not at all rare. People usually say something vague like 'we need money to finish the film' and then list how you can spend $20,000 dollars (which is remarkably easy!) in plausible ways. The real goal, of course, is to build an attached audience for your film, and it makes sense, because crowdfunders are extremely loyal to your production, and once they're staked in it, you have 100, 200, 1000 people who are promoting, sharing and talking about your work. A 1000 people who mention your project to 100 friends each, say, on Twitter and Facebook (conservative estimate) is worth $20,000 in its own right.

That said, this thread is utter madness.

This line makes absolutely no sense. You say that the film is already funded – so funded that we're all jealous of it – yet you're making it 'mostly alone'? What possible reason could you have for that?

Maybe do a crowdfunding campaign to raise some money to assemble a decent, talented crew around you who can take on some of the burden of this 'huge' film, because, trust me, no-one, nowhere has EVER made a 'huge' film 'mostly alone'.

why couldnt someone of said that earlier . thanks

when i say alone . not literally. Just mostly . And i have the money to make it and i've had time. Lets not harp on that though plz

thanks

Crowdfunding for marketing is not at all rare. [...] The real goal, of course, is to build an attached audience for your film, and it makes sense, because crowdfunders are extremely loyal to your production, and once they're staked in it, you have 100, 200, 1000 people who are promoting, sharing and talking about your work. A 1000 people who mention your project to 100 friends each, say, on Twitter and Facebook (conservative estimate) is worth $20,000 in its own right.

why couldnt someone of said that earlier . thanks

Actually, that's exactly what I was alluding to when I said this:

It can certainly be used strategically as a component in a comprehensive marketing plan, but in and of itself it's not a form of promotion.

The problem is still that if no one ever sees your campaign it can't serve as any kind of promotion. Conversely, the more people who see your campaign the more likely you are to find those "true fans" Nick's referring to that will both contribute to the campaign and help to promote the film later. So the marketing and promotion you put in before the campaign pays greater dividends than that which you do later. If you aren't doing that early promotion then you're blowing an opportunity to get the most out of your crowdfunding campaign.

My end goals would be the film i want in its entirety and just enough money to get it out there to the point that it can take off (if its meant to)

Just curious, but what kind of money range are we talking about here? I mean if you're talking about less than $5k it's a much easier challenge than $10-20k, which is easier again than if you're looking for $50k or $100k or more. You can get away with a lot less work at the low end.

So how much do you think is "just enough" to "get it out there"? I'm also curious about what your marketing strategy is - I know you were asking about four-walling in another thread, is that what you're shooting for with the campaign? Something like that might benefit from a slightly different strategy than a general crowdfunding campaign.

Actually, that's exactly what I was alluding to when I said this:

The problem is still that if no one ever sees your campaign it can't serve as any kind of promotion. Conversely, the more people who see your campaign the more likely you are to find those "true fans" Nick's referring to that will both contribute to the campaign and help to promote the film later. So the marketing and promotion you put in before the campaign pays greater dividends than that which you do later. If you aren't doing that early promotion then you're blowing an opportunity to get the most out of your crowdfunding campaign.

Just curious, but what kind of money range are we talking about here? I mean if you're talking about less than $5k it's a much easier challenge than $10-20k, which is easier again than if you're looking for $50k or $100k or more. You can get away with a lot less work at the low end.

So how much do you think is "just enough" to "get it out there"? I'm also curious about what your marketing strategy is - I know you were asking about four-walling in another thread, is that what you're shooting for with the campaign? Something like that might benefit from a slightly different strategy than a general crowdfunding campaign.

I dont need anymore advice past this .. i'm good.

but to answer i dont know how much to get it noticed . No one does. But i will contact a marketing company and see what they do. Four walling would be seperate. All the forms would be seperate.

As for choosing this or that.. I may do all of them. And i mean all...

Sure it could. But the question is, have you ever seen a "good video/cause" and paid any money?

I plan on doing a kickstarter campaign myself. But I plan on raising almost nothing beyond friends and family. If I'm not Charlie Sheen or Zach Braff, why on earth would anybody pay for MY dreams? If you're raising money for a cause, that's something else. If you're raising money for your career, well, then there has to be some other things involved, and I don't know what they are (celebrity, fanbase maybe). If you pin your film funding hopes on crowdfunding alone, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Cheers

but why wouldnt people invest in just a film that looks good or a cause. if they arent they are just investing in what? a bad project that you spent time trying to advertise before hand which people have no reason to invest in besides that fact is was marketed?

but why wouldnt people invest in just a film that looks good or a cause. if they arent they are just investing in what?...............

People never invest in JUST a film that looks good or a cause.
They invest if it matters to them. If they want to actually see it.
That's why you need to know or discover your target audience: people who are likely to be interested in your subject. Does your movie touch them, excite them, thrill them, entice them?
For just a good looking film they don't need to invest: they can buy a ticket at the cinema: plenty of good looking films to choose from.

Otherwise they'd invest in Apple stock, or Domino's Pizza stock or they buy actual smart phones to use or pizzas to eat ;)

Back