• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can I write a script to be set in the UK, without British actors?

I have a script which I never came up with a setting for. I want the story to not have guns in, since shooting with permits for guns cause the budget to go way up. However, I was looking back on movies like Frenzy (1972), and The Chaser (2008), and they completely sidestep that issue by setting their stories in places where cops and crooks do not carry guns.

You can shoot a scene of cops busting down a door to arrest crooks, without needing permission and insurance, for using fake guns, because the actors playing cops, are not carrying any. I want to set my script in a place like that where the cops and crooks are not carrying guns cause they live in a country where that it's normal for them not to, on both sides of the law.

However, since I am shooting in Canada, with Canadian actors, what country could I use to convincingly fake this to the audience? The closest I can think of is the U.K., cause I keep reading the cops do not carry guns there, as well as not many of the crooks, compared to Canada, however, the Canadian actors I can get might not be able to pull off convincing British accents. There is also the case of Canada looking different than the U.K. The cars look different, cause they are made by different companies, with different styles, and the steering wheels are on the opposite side obviously.

I have a lot of scenes in cars such as people being instructed by kidnappers on where to go, and what to do, when it comes to paying off a ransom, and things like that. I could just reverse the image in post so that the steering wheel appears on the opposite side, like in a mirror, but not sure if that alone will be totally convincing.

As far as accents go, if you watch a movie like Valkerie (2008), or The Hunt for Red October (1990), almost all the actors do not have Russian or German accents like the characters they are portraying, but the audience is generally not taken out of the story though. Would that work with Canadians trying to play Brits?

What do you think? Is it possible to fake Canada for a country where there is no guns, or no?

Another option would be to set the script in a country that is not named like some movies do. Seven for example, you don't know where it is set but we can assume it's some American city. The Dark Knight makes up it's own city, so therefore it can make up it's own rules. But would that work for a thriller that is not based off source material such as a comic book?

Last edited:
Sin City for instance. Just tell the story in a way that you make it believable. It's the same as what you do in every scene. Got to make whatever is going on believable. And you can make almost anything believable.

There are plenty of guns in the hands of criminals in the UK, and if police think criminals have guns, they'll be tackled with firearms squads.

But I agree with the above, Canadian actors in Canadian surroundings with bad British accents talking about the state of London sounds hilarious :lol:

Okay thanks. Well mine is a serious script, so it won't work for that. The Chaser (2008), was able to be a serious movie with the cops going after a serial killer. When they bust into his suspected hideout to arrest him, they have no guns and make the arrest with their bare hands. How were they able to make it convincing and still be a serious thriller?

Okay thanks. Well mine is a serious script, so it won't work for that.

Aww, party pooper. :(

The Chaser (2008), was able to be a serious movie with the cops going after a serial killer. When they bust into his suspected hideout to arrest him, they have no guns and make the arrest with their bare hands. How were they able to make it convincing and still be a serious thriller?

As hard as it might be to believe this, not every cop vs criminal scenario has to end with 6 bullets in the chest and race riots in the streets the next day... :hmm:

Layover is a short in LA with French actors.
But they don't pretend to be somewhere else.

Check out 'Allo 'allo: shot in England, pretending to be in France with British actors :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ydts3xUSN8

Back