• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can I use the name of a real crime gang?

In that last script I mentioned I had proofread before, I used the name of a real current gang in it, and was just wondering if that's an okay idea, or at least not too unsafe? I assume it's probably okay, since movies have done it before, such as the KKK used a lot for example. The names of the gang members, are fictionalized, as well as their characterizations.

Last edited:
In that last script I mentioned I had proofread before, I used the name of a real current gang in it, and was just wondering if that's an okay idea, or at least not too unsafe? I assume it's probably okay, since movies have done it before, such as the KKK used a lot for example. The names of the gang members, are fictionalized, as well as their characterizations.

Im pretty sure it is leagle because i dont think any one who is in a gang is smart enough to copy write their name. But is it safe? ummm idk if i would use a real gang name just for the fact that they are in gangs because they would kill people for no reason....You know what i mean?

I think the least of your problems with this idea is encountering a particularly litigious 'crime gang'.

If you used the name of my crime gang (The Badger Bandits) we'd pop a cap in your ass. Just saying. That's where I'd be careful.

:)

You can't copyright your name (although you could trademark it).

When it comes to talking about specific gangs, there's a line not to cross if you want to avoid litigation (and losing any bodily extremities). Talking about the KKK (a hate group rather than a crime gang), the Mafia, the Triads etc. would probably be fine, because there are so many members and local chapters that you're not targeting a small group of people. If you were to mention The Badger Bandits, a small group of career criminals from London, however, it becomes fairly obvious exactly who you are talking about.

While being sued by a crime gang for defamation is incredibly unlikely, it's not that ridiculous to imagine an individual taking issue if they feel they are being libelled if you use their name for a character involved in criminal activity. If, as you say, you won't be using any real names/basing any of the gang on real people then I wouldn't be too concerned, but then I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Well the gang I would be using is the Red Scorpions which resides in Vancouver, where the story takes place. The members have tattoos that say RS on their shoulders, which I also need for the script as a mark for other characters to identify them. But of course the director or whoever made the script into a movie would come up with his or her own font for the tattoos and not use the real look of the logo.

I think the least of your problems with this idea is encountering a particularly litigious 'crime gang'.

If you used the name of my crime gang (The Badger Bandits) we'd pop a cap in your ass. Just saying. That's where I'd be careful.

:)

Aha! The game's afoot! I've been hunting your gang for years my friend, now you've been outed! I like you to come downtown with me for a little natter about a couple of incidents.....
:D

I have to say myself that using a crime gang name, as others have suggested, well, may not be the healthiest to do, and you really want to be careful.

Can you and should you are two different questions. A more important question, "What stops you from just making one up?" It's your script after all. The audience won't know or care if there's a "Thompson Street Gang". There are always new gangs that pop up. It bypasses the issues and concerns raised. Oy! Harmonica, keep things simple for yourself.

Perhaps. What about the ones who get upset that you didn't pick them? Especially their jealous rival gangs. Seems rather lose/lose selecting a real gang name. Elevating them, makes them bigger targets. In turn you become a bigger target perhaps to them, perhaps to a rival gang. I think that's what everyone has tried to suggest.

I guess. There is also another gang in the same city, called the United Nations. Would I be able to use that gang name, since it's not an original name, and they themselves took it from the UN? It's different than using an original name.

Last edited:
Of course you can.

The question is do u want to use the real name of the gang, when you are a God of your story. Why should you limit yourself with a current reality, when you can go wild?

Back