• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can anyone having a HD projector test this?

hi,

Can anyone having a HD projector test this video:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2196839/test video.mp4

OR alternatively from
http://d-h.st/xnl

Last year i read about a movie Olive http://olivethemovie.com/ (shot from Nokia n8 mobile)

I was keen to know how the other point and shoot and other mirrorless cameras perform on large screen?

I have compiled a TEST video containing sample video from following cameras:

- mobile phone like n8, pureview
- point and shoot cameras like canon 125hs, canon s95, s100
- DSLRs like 1100d, nikon j1 and 550d

I wanted to see how it looks on large screen. But i do not have access to a projector.

Can you please do a test using these? And let me and n others know how are the results?

You can download the video from here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2196839/test video.mp4

OR alternatively from
http://d-h.st/xnl

Looking forward for answers

PS:
I am making travel documentaries and currently i own only a couple of point-and-shoot cameras.

There might be a chance that in future they might get a release and shown on theater size screen.

So the reason why i want to conduct this test is to find out if the videos from canon a1300 are usable on large screen 15-20 feet?

It will help me to decide if i need to invest in a better camera. Or can i continue shooting with a1300?

Canon a1300 shoots in 720p, and canon 125hs shoots in 1080p. But their sensor sizes are the same. So i am keen to know if there is any real difference in performance on the large screen.

-- Also the size and weight of camera is an issue. I like the small size point and shoot which i can carry on one hand and shoot videos from!

-- Also want to compare how much difference is between DSLR like canon and a simple point and shoot

I have already tested it on 42 inch TV and there is hardly any noticeable difference.

I just don't want my videos from a1300 look pixeleated on the large screen...

Last edited:
Wow, Olive looks pretty cool! Can't believe what they did with a cell phone. Sounds like they fitted lenses to the phone for DOF. Nice.

As for the projector test, I will see what I can do, but let me offer a suggestion: Many public libraries lend or rent out their HD projectors. Whenever my wife and I want to show our movies to friends/family, we run down to the public library, sign a form, and get the projector and screen for free for a week or so! It's an option worth checking out.

I can only speak from my experience, but let me say this: I've shot some pretty unmagical footage that looks just as good projected as it does on my desktop. Also, my wife and I recently shot our first feature with the Canon 600d/T3i. We cut a trailer and screened it at our local 400-seat theater (really big screen) - The footage looked absolutely gorgeous! Here's that trailer in case you want to know what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDHybWF1UM. There's some noise in some shots, but it wasn't a problem when projected. Oddly enough, it almost seemed like projecting the footage made it look better and glossed over imperfections! Maybe someone else can explain that.

As long as your shots are not too noisy, not too shaky, and look pretty good on your computer, you're probably just fine. But again, that's just my personal experiences. Hope that helps :)

They all look ok, though, I have to say, I'm sick of the handheld footage. I seem to notice it more on the projector in a blackened room.

Pretty much all of the issues you'll see on the big screen, you also see on a tv/monitor.

Was there something specific you were wanting me to look for?

Wow, Olive looks pretty cool! Can't believe what they did with a cell phone. Sounds like they fitted lenses to the phone for DOF. Nice.

As for the projector test, I will see what I can do, but let me offer a suggestion: Many public libraries lend or rent out their HD projectors. Whenever my wife and I want to show our movies to friends/family, we run down to the public library, sign a form, and get the projector and screen for free for a week or so! It's an option worth checking out.

I can only speak from my experience, but let me say this: I've shot some pretty unmagical footage that looks just as good projected as it does on my desktop. Also, my wife and I recently shot our first feature with the Canon 600d/T3i. We cut a trailer and screened it at our local 400-seat theater (really big screen) - The footage looked absolutely gorgeous! Here's that trailer in case you want to know what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDHybWF1UM. There's some noise in some shots, but it wasn't a problem when projected. Oddly enough, it almost seemed like projecting the footage made it look better and glossed over imperfections! Maybe someone else can explain that.

As long as your shots are not too noisy, not too shaky, and look pretty good on your computer, you're probably just fine. But again, that's just my personal experiences. Hope that helps :)

Thank you for your input. And congratulations for your feature film. I saw the trailor and it looks really good! Best of luck with it.

The place where i stay a smalltown in India I have tried finding projectors for rent but could nt. Or some shops who offered were asking very high prices to rent it.

Just see if you get access to the cinema/hd projector check the footage. I just want to see how a1300 looks on the large screen. Is it usable?

They all look ok, though, I have to say, I'm sick of the handheld footage. I seem to notice it more on the projector in a blackened room.

Pretty much all of the issues you'll see on the big screen, you also see on a tv/monitor.

Was there something specific you were wanting me to look for?

Thanks for response.
I primarily want to see how the footage from a1300 and point and shoot look on large screen. Does it get pixeleated? Or broken? And how much noticeable difference is between normal point and shoot and a DSLR

a1300 shoots 720, 125hs shoots 1080p. So it will be my next option if a1300 does not work and footage from 125hs is usable

Kindly also let me know the size of projectors / screen size that you used it on! If possible

Thank you for all the help!
VERY VERY much appreciated!

Last edited:
It didn't look pixelated from what I saw.

That being said, the camera movement looks awkward. I don't know the best way to explain it. It's like something is straining to be able to present the picture while it's panning. Whether it's the way you encoded the video or the way the chip captures the image on the camera. They just don't look as crisp as it does on say a Red, though it's not a critical problem.

Obviously the footage could do with some color grading, which would change the final look and feel.

These days the general public don't notice that much of a difference between camera A and camera B. While there are differences, the differences that you're come across are probably more notable in lower light situations where pictures just loot flat if you don't like the whole scene right.

Keep a high production value, make an engaging story and worry more about how to tell your story best. When you get that down pat, the cost difference between a low end camera and a higher end camera won't be as much of an issue to you as you gain the critical experience.

The size was only a 110 inch screen. You blow it up on a 400 foot cinema screen and sit close, the results are going to look different.

It didn't look pixelated from what I saw.

That being said, the camera movement looks awkward. I don't know the best way to explain it. It's like something is straining to be able to present the picture while it's panning. Whether it's the way you encoded the video or the way the chip captures the image on the camera. They just don't look as crisp as it does on say a Red, though it's not a critical problem.

Obviously the footage could do with some color grading, which would change the final look and feel.

These days the general public don't notice that much of a difference between camera A and camera B. While there are differences, the differences that you're come across are probably more notable in lower light situations where pictures just loot flat if you don't like the whole scene right.

Keep a high production value, make an engaging story and worry more about how to tell your story best. When you get that down pat, the cost difference between a low end camera and a higher end camera won't be as much of an issue to you as you gain the critical experience.

The size was only a 110 inch screen. You blow it up on a 400 foot cinema screen and sit close, the results are going to look different.

That camera movement problem exists in all "point and shoot"/mobile footages?

It certainly is camera issue because all footage are encoded in a same codec.

Agree with second part of your answer. Storytelling is more important. That being said a little bit of technical understanding and comparison is useful for satisfying "minimum requirements"

I have also emailed this to a national level movie distributor who has said that they might test it. They will test it on a much larger screen.

I will keep the thread updated and let everyone know of the results.

Thank you!

Back