• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Buying a new Camera... NEED ADVICE

Alright, so I'll be shooting a documentary over the next year and I need to your advice. Here are a few factors you should take in to consideration...

- I'm looking at spending 800 to 1500

- With in my film, I'm gonna have a few animated shorts and might have my animator animate over some of the footage I've shot.

- I plan on entering this film in all of the festivals, so obviously something that transitions and looks well on the big screen is important.

Also, would you guys buy a used camera? If so, what type of things would you look for to make sure the camera is in good shape?

What would you buy for sound?

I'll be on the road for most of this film. Is their some sort of kit you would suggest purchasing?

Thanks for your time,

Jon

Alright, so I'll be shooting a documentary over the next year and I need to your advice. Here are a few factors you should take in to consideration...

- I'm looking at spending 800 to 1500

- With in my film, I'm gonna have a few animated shorts and might have my animator animate over some of the footage I've shot.

- I plan on entering this film in all of the festivals, so obviously something that transitions and looks well on the big screen is important.

Also, would you guys buy a used camera? If so, what type of things would you look for to make sure the camera is in good shape?

What would you buy for sound?

I'll be on the road for most of this film. Is their some sort of kit you would suggest purchasing?

Thanks for your time,

Jon

I personally would not buy a used camera without knowing its history unless the price is really low. Or buy it from BHphotovideo -- they pretty much guarantee you won't get stiffed.

Buy an easy to use and set up camera. That rules out DSLRs. You have to roll hundreds of hours of tape to get just a few good minutes of footage. Also, remember the drop rule -- get a camera you can easily afford to replace or find in the event you drop your camera.

I'll let others chime in with sound, etc.

I'll let others chime in with sound, etc.

Yup, I'll come in with my usual "What's your budget for sound?" Unlike narrative work, a very large percentage of the time you will not get a second chance at capturing good sound (unless you are going to be exclusively visuals with VO); you'll have to live with what you get, and if you get crap sound you'll have to live with crap sound, or spend huge amounts of time and money trying to fix what you have.

Sound is easy, you can get a patch cable from this sweet recorder here to your DSLR

41VGXWPDQXL.jpg

Back