BLU RAY burning

A little over a year ago I had my first and only thus far experience burning a BLU RAY. It did not go well. The discs did not play in 9 out of 10 players, and the singular player was a PLAY STATION 3.

Who all here is burning their movies to BLU RAY and how much success have you had with compatibility?

Im 100% Computer based on entertainment, a 28" monitor is fine for me. Ive never bought a blu-ray and prolly never will. I also have not bought any DVDs in a few years either. I can download anything I want to watch. You can stream HD content and my 50yo eyes dont care about the bleeding edge bitrate and all that. I also see 3D as just a gimmick meself

It very much depends on the viewing environment. I can most certainly tell the difference between DVD and BluRay because I'm running over 1000W 7.1 surround system with a 73" DLP television. DVD looks downright horrible in comparison, even upconverted, and nothing beats the uncompressed audio. Once you've heard DTS-HD MA, your DVDs will sound like a radio broadcast relatively speaking.

Avatar Bluray is stunning, both visually and sonically.

But I still have a large library of DVDs that I will never upgrade because they weren't special effects extravaganzas. Just good story. And I also have a library of HD-DVDs.

Yikes!

At least it was narrowed down to your player and not the burned discs.

(Say, am I the only one that sees a night-and-day quality difference between DVD and Blu-ray? DVDs look downright blurry to me compared to the Blu-ray discs I have.)

On my own films I see it big time, especially projected. Projecting a regular DVD of my films looks very noisey (to me) while the Blu Ray is much crisper. Thankfully some festivals are projecting Blu Ray now. I cringe a little when I know they are going to project regular DVD.

I have a 52 inch HD TV and a PS3 and currently own zero Blu-Ray discs...

EDIT: Whoops! I was trying to quote myself and I deleted 80% of my post. Ah well, never mind :(

Last edited:
I've recently discovered that new TV's today have this awful Motion Interpolation feature enabled by default, and it's really hard on the eyes. It also makes films look like TV shows by motion-tracking detail and up-sampling to 60fps. Bleh.

Try turning that setting off, rent some blu-ray movies, and see if they look better.

I know this is an old thread but I figured I would add an update. I have switched to Bluray. I have found that if you have a new HD widescreen TV that is large that it is worth it to get Bluray.

I have actually upgraded a large portion of my DVD library. I found you can get blurays fairly cheap if you look for bargins. I bought some on Amazon. You can get multipack Blurays and save money. Or just find some older Bluray movies for $10 or less. I got some $7 or $9 blurays at Best Buy. I found a great deal where you can trade in your dvds for blurays that Warrner Bros is doing for dvd2blue.com .

I currently got a huge collection of Blurays. The picture quality is really improved. The sharpness is better. But one thing I did not think about before upgrade was a difference was the sound qualtiy. A lot of the Blurays have improved sound because they went to HD sound.

My Bluray player does have a USB port that could be used for playing digital files of filmes too.

Last edited:
It's all about conversion and program. I recommend Adobe Encore. The studio engineer who burns blu ray archive discs of every day, 4 broadcasts a day, he uses Encore.

I think the $30 price tag for some new Blurays is the reason it has not catched on. Blurays should not be more than $5 more than a DVD. Then they would be more likely to sell. The Bluray players have went down in price so at least they are good priced now. My bitch about blueray is two things the increased resolution brings out the film grain and second not all bluray movies will let you stop them and restart where you left off. I can get over the film grain issue but the blurays that dont have the stop and remember feature make me mad.

It's all about conversion and program. I recommend Adobe Encore. The studio engineer who burns blu ray archive discs of every day, 4 broadcasts a day, he uses Encore.

I've been using Adobe Encore and I have been underwhelmed with the video quality. No where NEAR the HD picture quality of commercial releases. I would daresay they are unusable for HD even from a 4K RED timeline.

What settings is your buddy using? I've love to get some techie info from someone doing it more often.

Something to be aware of... I have a Samsung DVD/5.1 system for my TV. It wouldnt play any DVDs I burned... some sort of BS about pirated discs from what I read. I found the code to make it multi-regional and it fixed it (my DVDs were formatted USA).

Interesting how so many of the replies weren't answers at all. I've seen this elsewhere - someone asks a question about BR and gets alot of stuff about how physical media is dead, blah, blah...

This is an old thread now. But because I just burned a number of Blu-ray disks of a short for film festival showings (rather than submissions) and for the actors and crew, I thought I'd speak to my recent experience.

I use a MacPro. I borrowed a LaCie Blu-ray burner and bought both regular disks and a re-recordable one (at the LaCie owner's suggestion: try one first). I burned straight out of Final Cut Pro 7, just the single movie file onto a disk. It worked very smoothly - first time, every time - and I had no trouble playing back the disk in several players (though I didn't try the "Best Buy" route - good idea).

My intent was to burn special actors and crew disks with a menu system (trailers, but DVD Studio Pro doesn't do Blu-ray and Adobe Encore completely baffled me (in the time that I had). I have to figure it out for next time.

Is physical media dead? Not for me. The resolution I've seen thus far has not been up to what I see off a BR disk; and yes, I'm picky. I'm a Red owner and an old film guy and I like high-res material. Good sound, too. I do not want to watch movies on my iPhone.

But aside from me, some film festivals will take BR copies for showing. It's simpler and cheaper than Beta SP or whatever - at least if you can borrow a burner.

Interesting how so many of the replies weren't answers at all. I've seen this elsewhere - someone asks a question about BR and gets alot of stuff about how physical media is dead, blah, blah...

Is physical media dead? Not for me. The resolution I've seen thus far has not been up to what I see off a BR disk; and yes, I'm picky. I'm a Red owner and an old film guy and I like high-res material. Good sound, too. I do not want to watch movies on my iPhone.

I like BDD, burners are cheap too. I don't trust hard drives for storage, it's the worst possible medium for archive.

many thanks!

For a screening of the Cell Phone Monologues at a local movie theater last night, I decided to just tr\y Adobe Encore DVD do the TRANSCODING for Blu Ray based on this thread....

WOW! I am impressed. I used Adobe Media Encoder and other tools to take my original files and convert them for BLU RAY. I've never been happy with Encore's picture quality for Standard Definition DVD's, so I used things like Mainconcept's MPEG encoder or other tools. None of them came anywhere near as close to how sharp the image was when I just used basic presets in Encore. I am finally jazzed about making BLU RAYS (BD-R) again.

So thanks for this advice.

Back