• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Bloody rendering! - Final Cut Pro

Hey IndieTakers!

I'm in the process of editing my bands music video, the video is sourced from my 550D so i have converted it into an editing format with MPEG Streamclip. I have edited and graded 5 tracks of of different camera angles which have rendered and all is good! Problem being that whenever i add a new raw track of video above the other tracks FCP decides to need to render everything that the video track is covering.

This is very annoying as it takes forever to render everything again, not only that but whenever i move one of the video clips it prompts me to render where the video clip used to be (makes sense) but also where i place the clip, despite it being raw video with no fx. For example i add a raw 5 minute video track to my rendered timeline and the entire 5 minutes now need rendering? Despite the only extra video being raw...

Is there anyway around this? I'm probably too deep into the editing to fix anything now but it would be good to know for next time!

cheers!

Two possible problems off the top of my head…

1) The sequence settings don't match your video clips - make sure that whatever format you exported from MPEG Streamclip (resolution, aspect ratio, codec, framerate) is correctly duplicated in your sequence settings.

2) Hardware limitations - streaming five full HD video tracks concurrently is quite an intensive process. Even if your computer can handle it, using an external hard drive can limit you in this area, especially if using USB or FW400.

Ah, could well be the USB HDD. My lecturers always said to work from external HDD as not to fill up the main mac's drive.

It's a pain in the ass to show the client when the slightest edit means a render.

I was hoping you weren't gonna say that, cuz that's totally not how I would shoot or edit a music video. Obviously, though, I know nothing about your project, so for all I know, you've got awesome footage, and you chose the best methods. I would be an idiot to say you did it wrong, when I don't even know what you did, and that would just be an asshole thing to say. I'm sure you chose this method for good reason.

As for your question, I don't work with FCP, but in other software I've used, there is a way to sync up multiple clips, in your preview window, without ever placing them in the timeline. You can watch all six of them, at the same time, in the preview window. And then, the same way that you would select in/out points, you can select points to go from this clip, now to that one, now to that one, etc., and this is all done before dropping it into the timeline.

Personally, I've never really had much of a need for this method, so I haven't really explored it. The software I saw it done in was Avid Liquid. FCP is way more advanced than Avid Liquid, so my gut tells me that you can probably do the same thing, and you'd never need more than one track.

Back