Block spamming film pirated

I noticed that when comments are enabled on youtube and other video sharing sites slamming film pirates see the comment field as a way to draw people to their sites to download videos. So I disabled comments with my videos. I refuse to help them.

Has anyone else blocked comments to stop slamming pirates?

You know you can set comments to be manually approved, so at least the non-spam posts have a shot at being read?

Are you actually seeing these comments on your own videos, or just on others? I've personally never seen them on my videos, even on one with over 40,000 views - I suspect spammers will primarily target the most popular videos, and for most users it isn't really a problem.

I had a video up for a couple years that got about 200k views and at least a comment a day. I never once got a spam comment, let alone a spam comment trying to phish people into a pirate site.

In fact, while I've seen spam on some people's video comments, I've never seen anything advertising piracy...

There came a point where the spammers were posting links and comments like that several times a week. So, I either turned off the comments or deleted their posts.

I am giving Steve's suggestion a shot to see how that works out.

But you've left that spam comment up on your trailer for 2 years now? That actually seems like you're being quite helpful to them...

I believe my reply comment helps the public to become aware of spammers and pirates stealing from the owners of the film content and the people who worked on the productions. That's why I left the reply there too.

Back