Best way to record audio?

Hey guys, just wanting to know what these days is the best way to record audio when on the set.

I read that they used to use DAT machines, but is there something newer which is recommended?

A boom mic, plugged directly into your camera. If you are shooting outside, get a dead cat (furry cover) to muffle the wind.

And this will plug into the camera here:

Last edited:
I've always recorded separate and had a sound mixer. That is the best way. As for recording in-camera I don't know much about that. I would never plug directly in without a mixer in-between. Add to that the possibility of camera hum.

indietalk, is what your saying you have your camera with a lead to the mixer then the boom to the actors?

if so the sound still records on the camera is that right?
and also what does the sound mixer do exactly.

The sound mixer is on set to make sure you get good sound. If you plug directly into the camera I don't see how that could happen. I imagine you could go: Mic > Mixer > Camera. However I have never done this. There are also levels at the recording end that would need to be adjusted, so it seems awkward.

I don't know the technology today, last thing I used was a timecode DAT (owned by sound mixer).

Over the past couple of years digital recorders like the Fostex FR-2, Marantz PMD660, and Tascam HD-P2 have become popular. They record to flash cards and some have hard drives. Recording to flash cards is a huge plus in extreme environmental conditions. They are relatively small which is very nice when you have to carry them around all day. There are, of course, hi-end products like the Sound Devices 700 series and the Zaxcom Deva series which can record 4 or more tracks, depending upon the model.

The pricier models of these types of audio field recorders can sync to time code and stamp the time code on the the audio files for sync with the visuals. Some even automatically create logs of the scenes and takes.

Hmmm. We've always recorded directly into the camera, and get great sound. I've never had camera hum issues or the likes. But hey, I'm not really a sound guy so I would listen to those that know better.

If you're recording on a separate device, not directly to the camera, aren't you now faced with problem of syncing the audio and the video in editing. That seems like it would be very difficult, but hey, I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

If you're recording on a separate device, not directly to the camera, aren't you now faced with problem of syncing the audio and the video in editing. That seems like it would be very difficult, but hey, I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

How do you think it's done when using film? As was said, a clapper. It' been done that way since the emergence of "talkies" when the audio was recorded on a wax record. It's much more sophisticated these days - digital clap boards, digitally embedded time codes, etc. - but film and audio are still two separate systems.

When using video it's very easy; just sync the "good" sound with the camera sound.

Oh, yeah; keep detailed sound and video logs, that will most definitely expedite the process.

It doesn't need to start at the same time. You match the timecode on the slate to the timecode on the audio recording, or the clapping sound and when the sticks meet.

Or like I mentioned, you can plug directly into your camera, and you don't have to sync a thing. I'm telling you guys...I've never had camera hum, nor any other anomaly when going directly into the camera. Just make sure your wiring isn't wonky, and your equipment is quality.

I don't know if it's just our camera, or our wires...and I can't promise you other digital cameras won't create this 'hum' people are mentioning...but...

It doesn't hurt to give it a try. You'll need the equipment anyway...and you may save yourself major time, headache and money by bypassing a separate audio device.

*shrugs*

Last edited:
Back