Best way for teens to distribute films?

I was wondering about that. I'm 14 and was wondering what's the best ways to get distributions for short films or whatever made by teenagers. I'd rather not enter a kids short film festival or something like that, I'd probably want to enter real professional festivals. I've heard festivals are good?

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Another route could be to make video shorts that can be sent from phone to phone or downloaded from youtube, et al.
However, these would best be very narrow market shorts.

You won't be getting distribution for short films, no matter what your age is. But like everyone suggests, enter festivals -- it's a great equalizer as no one will know your age.

Good luck.

real professional festivals

That is an oxymoron.

Seriously, though, for all intents and purposes, festivals are for fun, and networking. There are a very small handful of festivals that have attendees in the audience who might want to pick up your film for distribution. Good luck getting into them. It's not impossible, but it's kinda impossible. On top of that, short films don't really get distributed.

So, make short films for the fun of it, and for bettering your craftsmanship. Think of it as practice, except lots of fun. Submit to festivals, and have fun at said festivals. :D

Ok thanks guys. I've heard of short films being scooped up for a few bucks by some film distributors, and it get's played on small tv channels or something? Doesn't matter...

Thanks for the info, I thought there might have been some sort of legal issue regarding ages when distribution comes around.

And to answers Franks Question, I've been filming for about 2 years now.

I know someone who got their short picked up by a distributor for release on a compilation of many shorts. They still haven't received a dime in royalties. The distributor is still conveniently recouping expenses. The distributor provides broad, general statements that say for example, "Office: $780.00, Promotion: $2,235.00". There's really no detailed accountability. Who knows what the breakdown for what "office" is? It could include some of the secretary's salary or part of the electric bill or a new FAX machine. That's short films in a nutshell. Distributors make a little money and stay in business, while you spent a lot of money making it.

Back