• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best screenplay contests?

I'm an unproduced newbie writer, but I have a script that I feel has a very good "high concept" hook and is written fairly well.
As someone with zero connections in the industry, what screenplay contests do you think I should enter?

Of course I'm not expecting to win or get my script optioned by a big studio, but I just want to see if my script truly is as decent as I think it is, and if there is even the slightest chance of qualifying.

I know Final Draft has one, and Bluecat. Anyone have any experience with them?

Winning a contest is the best way to penetrate the industry. You don't walk away with cash - You walk into the industry with cash. Here are a few re known contests.

- The Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting is the Industry's leading contest for screenwriters I guess. It is administered by the oscar commitee. Thousands each year, yet only five emerge. Stiff uhh, I am making a hit on this 'un too.

- The PAGE International Screenwriting Awards. 31 winners each year and fur much more add-ons.

- You know Final Draft yes.

- Disney/ABC Writing Fellowship - television scripts only. You win, you get a job straight out with ABC. You get to be the one on the inside.

- Sundance Screenwriter’s Lab - feature film scripts only. You walk away with money. More of commercial than promotional.

These are probably the industry's leading. You choose!

Nicholl + TrackingB

Have you tried querying? A much cheaper way of 'breaking in' ;)

Also, if you're after some feedback, why not try a (reputable) script coverage service.

You should check out Done Deal Pro forums, a great source of info, plus you can post a few pages there, and receive some helpful feedback...

:)

Thank you for the suggestions, Deri!

Nicholl + TrackingB

Have you tried querying? A much cheaper way of 'breaking in' ;)

Also, if you're after some feedback, why not try a (reputable) script coverage service.

You should check out Done Deal Pro forums, a great source of info, plus you can post a few pages there, and receive some helpful feedback...

:)

Well, do you know any reputable managers or agents who accept pitches?

I have been thinking about script coverage services, but I don't know which of them are actually helpful, and which of them just tell you what you want to hear and hope you keep feeding them more money.

My original plan with this script is to direct it myself in a few years after my current smaller project, but there are certain elements in the script that are "hot" right now and I thought there might be some interest from bigger production companies.

Luckily the script is flexible in a way, that it can be filmed with a low budget too, so I'll just produce the damn thing myself if all else fails.

Making it through an agent is the last thing I would opt for in hollywood. Those guys are hypocrites who think they can tell your whole script by looking at the cover page. I got involved with an agent once but regret it to this day. He wasted four months of my good time instead of being straight and telling me that he could not help me. Instead, he kept promising and giving me hope, week after week and borrowing excuses for one thing or the other. I would rather have them old exhausted folk in a screenwriting contest committee poke their noses in my script.
One thing I have got to learn is - do not market your script. Let your script market you. As long as you have good material, it will find its way to the right people.
Start thinking of an agent when you know one is ready to have you.

Thats just my opinion anyway.

Back