Best Microphone for $300 or under?

What I have in mind is the Rode NTG 2, but I've heard some complaints about it.

I'll be using this Tascam sound recorder (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R65MFO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10) Which provides Phantom power and multiple different gain levels.

Right now I don't have the budget for one, but want to get it lined up ready to purchase. I'm not very experienced with sound equipment, so any help would be awesome. Which mic should I get? (Or should I just stick with the NTG2?)

This will be the last bit of technical equipment to fill out my "Indie Kit", so I'm looking forward to it.

The NTG-2 or Audio Technica AT897 are the only micro-budget shotguns that can supply their own power via battery, so are pretty much your only choice if you do not have an audio recording device.

The Tascam DR-40 is going for around $200 these days. A budget shotgun like the NTG-1 ($250) or AT875 ($180) would be okay. However, budget recorders eat batteries at a ferocious rate when supplying phantom power, so battery packs are highly recommended.

Even at the micro-budget level sound calls for a relatively substantial financial commitment. Just keep in mind that professional production sound folks will spend two or three times on one mic than you will spend on your entire kit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/405353-REG/Schoeps_CMIT_5U_CMIT5U_Shotgun_Microphone_Blue.html

So plan your audio spending carefully.

Is there a major difference between the NGT-2 and the NGT-1?

I know good audio equipment is key, but after buying a GH2, and building a brand new computer to handle the GH2, and being un-employed, I'm kind of spent. So around $300 is all I will have to spare coming up here in a bit.

No I completely skipped over it for no reason.

Of course I read it. But the audio recorder supplies phantom power, even if it does eat through batteries. I was asking if there is a difference between audio quality, not where the power supply comes from.

As Alcove has pointed out, the NTG 1&2 are fundamentally the same mic but with different powering options. Self powered mics do put out lower levels so you will be relying on the somewhat noisy mic amps to make up the gain. Get in as close as you can and you should be OK though.
For the amount of money you have I would consider a used sennheiser ME66. I know it's an electret but it's a bloody good one. I used that mic for quite a while before I upgraded to a 416 and really like that mic. It's has a wider pickup than some shotguns but there always is the ME67. Personally I quite liked the 'forgiveness' of a wider pick up though outdoors in a wide shot you're gonna run into trouble. Pretty sure it's not shielded though and occasionally came across interference problems.

Back