Best handheld mic.

I have recently returned from driving around europe filming my first documentary.Now I am home I need to film some street interviews and will require a handheld microphone.

I use a tascam dr-05 for audio recording and have used it as a mic before too but it doesn't look great on screen.

I am planning on either plugging the mic straight into the tascam which can sit in the pocket of the presenter, or get a wireless setup that plugs into the tascam so I can at least visually monitor the audio.

Any advice is hugely welcome, I have a budget of around £100.

Cheers.

Your biggest issue is that you are using a high impedance audio recorder and a decent handheld interview mic (even a cheapie) will be low impedance requiring phantom power.

Oh, BTW, the "best" handheld mic is about $350.

There are lots of cheap mics out there; just remember that you get what you pay for.

The Rode Reporter - US$129

Audio-Technica AT8004L - US$90

Both are dynamic mics by decent vendors that will not require phantom power, but you will might need an impedance matcher, and definitely an XLR to minipin converter and a mono to stereo converter. I do not know if they have enough output to drive the DR-05 mic input efficiently.

If you are doing sit-down interviews you may want to consider lavs. The Rode smartLav is only US$60.

With current exchange rates the 100 pound budget is most of the way there.. :lol: :P

About half way at todays rates. GBP £100 = US$166

Back