best cheaper tripod for amateur

well, if an amateur looks for a cheaper tripod for his/her dSLR or miniDV camcorder, what'd you suggest him/her to buy?

I'd suggest to save money and to go for manfrotto tripod with fluid head.. but i wanna know the exact name (model) of the tripods. oh, height does matter...

Thanx directorik.

I went through that thread...I could have posted in there but I thought of giving it a new name. when I say cheap I mean really cheap as most of the amateurs can't afford to spend $200 (or £150) for tripod..

so here are the prices of the tripods mentioned in that thread..

Manfrotto 055XPROB: £107 (one will need to buy the head separately. lets say a fluid head costs about $100; so total cost £207)

Giottos VGR9265-MC: I found this one on amazon in dollars. $289 (same in bhphoto)..once again without head..my estimated price for this one with head is £285 (using conversion and not considering the postage cost)

Vortex RC 128 : well, this one comes with fluid head. BHPhoto says it's for £192 (shipping cost is $66 but lets ignore it)

Tiffen Davis & Sanford ProVista 7518: £234 (on amazon)

75 Video Tripod With FM-18: £144 (ah..a bit cheaper than others but BHPhoto charges $66 for shipping..ignore it)

well, prices may vary shop to shop...but not more than £20 i think...so, here's my point: I have bought a dSLR with at least one lens, 2 filters and memory card that costed me £800; now I want to buy a nice tripod that allows me to shoot smoothly so that people can't say 'shit man, ur video is too shaky'... and without considering other costs, I am paying £1000 in camera & accessories.. what the heck, man!! can't they produce a nice tripod with fluid head to carry less than 1000 grams for less than £100??

You are not going to find an acceptable tripod for your £1000
camera for £20.

what the heck, man!! can't they produce a nice tripod with fluid head to carry less than 1000 grams for less than £100??
If there was a market for that kind of a head "they" would
produce them. But it sure would be nice if they did. It would
be great if they produced a full HD camera with interchangeable
lenses and XLR inputs for under £300.

Making movies is damn expensive.

Yep, about $300 US is the price point for any kind of decent tripod where you can actually pan and/or tilt. Anything cheaper than that is static shots because trying to move it is going to look like crap. Smaller lighter cameras have actually brought that price way down from where it used to be I think.

My DP has about $1800 in his tripod if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
could anyone gimme some some address where i can find used equipments .. except ebay.. ohh, reliable of course..

All rental houses sell off their used equipment. That would
be a great place for you to start.

I typed "used film equipment" into Google and there were
dozens of on line places. I wonder what would happen if you
added "London" to the search?

Back