beginner cam

The main issue you will face with that camera is no mic input.
In order to record acceptable audio you need to get the mic
very close to the actors. This is done by putting a mic on a boom
pole and placing it directly over the actors. with this camera you
only have the built in mic - which means the mic will always be
far away from your actors so you will get a lot of noise.

If you can afford to spend more look for a camera that has a mic
input. Of course that means you will also need to buy a microphone.
Just remember that 50% of the movie experience is audio.

That said, if this camera is all you can afford, it's a fine camera to
start out with. You will quickly discover its limitations, but you will
always face limitations so you will find creative ways to overcome
them.

What is your budget ??? What are you looking to shoot w/ this ?

Prolly do well to get a used one off ebay. One w/ manual focus and a mic input. One that I used back in the day was a canon Optura it is SD, but has the basics, focus ring, some exposure control and a mic in. you can get one on ebay for $100ish

Last edited:
A little help, AvsB?

The one you post is $150. Is that the range you call
"good"? I'd hate to go on line and research for you,
post five or six cameras only to have you say they
are more than you can afford. I'll do the research you
don't want to do, but help me a little.

well my budget is 250-500 and thanks i appreciate it.... im looking to film a short or two with it..... i should have been more clear....my bad directorik.... ill look as well too....

There are lots of used cameras you can get in that range. With a bit of luck you may be able to find someone who's "upgraded" and is looking to part with their kit. Any of these would work great with a Jag/Letus/Brevis/Red Rock setup. Get just the camera first, do a couple shorts, get used to the workflow, then add the adapter and some lenses to give yourself a more traditional narrative film-making image and etc.

The Canon HV series might be findable in that price range used. There's always venerable cameras (but still great) like the TRV-900 or the GL-1 (Sony and Canon respectively) in that price range as well. By range I mean ~$500.

ebay is your friend. Look for stuff in your range, then google the model numbers to see if they have the features you'll want. Mostly as much manual control as you can get:

External Mic Input of some sort
Manual Focus (ring preferred)
Manual Exposure
Manual White Balance (The more programmable the better, but at least a selection of options)

Last edited:
Back