• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

background music software

Hi all,

I need to know is there are software for background music composing that is compatible with both Windows vista and Windows Xp sp2, not to mention it should be cheap.

Thanks in advance,
Ace.Inc1

What do you mean by "Background music"? Do you mean score? And define "Cheap." To me anything under $500 is cheap. How in depth is your music background? Do you you know keys, meter, instrumentation, scoring, MIDI, sampling and digital audio? Or do you want to just cut and paste loops/samples? Just keep in mind that, initially, the less you know the more expensive it will become as you will have to buy sample/loop refill packs to expand your sound library.

A few suggestions - Cubase, Reason, Acid, Band-In-A-Box, Cakewalk.

You need to explain what you need. Something for composers? Something for dummies? For scores or songs? What instruments?

I'm still confused too. Judging by his other posts (wanted a cheap digital camera that is better than film) I think he is looking for stuff that doesn't exist. There is no magic machine that creates scores.

Perhaps he just wants a library of pre-recorded score bits.

Or...if you want to record your own music.

Technically you could use Garage Band. You don't need any instruments, you can use the computer keyboard. At least you can for piano and stuff. I'm not sure about the other instruments.

Then you are not looking for "software", which is why you got the answers that you received.

You are looking for "Royalty free music" libraries of which there are hundreds from which to choose. They will vary in quality and cost, and the more they cost the better the quality they will be.

There are many sites where you can purchase and download by the track. Sounddogs.com has many of the popular music libraries. I've also used Uniquetracks.com which has some nice stuff, especially of you are adept at "slicing and dicing".

Make sure that you read the licensing agreements carefully. They can vary greatly.

Back