Atonement

Don't have to, you can read all about it.

I can't remember where but try searching online about the movie and you'll stumble onto the article.

And if you like long takes like these, you may like DePalma's older work.

This has been one of my favourite ever scenes since I first watched the film - incredibly moving and executed with such style. There's a great commentary from the operator, Peter Robertson, over at Steadishots. Peter was also responsible for some of the fantastic steadicam work on Hot Fuzz, In Bruges and - more recently - Joe Wright's Hanna (though I understand he was one of three operators on the latter).

Un-effing real. Wow. Another film I need to see. Thanks for posting.

* I'm a fan of Peter Greenaway's long takes, too. The camera just drifts through the scenes, but sometimes it's simply locked down.

Like chili this has been one of the scenes that's stuck out most in my mind ever since I saw the movie. The movie in itself adheres quite strictly to traditional moviemaking technique (as does Wright's Pride and Prejudice), be it with some remarkably beautiful shots, but this one shot was just such an extraordinary feat of patience and ingenuity.

I found this little bit of info on imdb

Shooting the five minute Dunkirk beach scene was arguably the toughest portion of shooting. The shooting schedule dictated that the scene must be completed in two days, because the crew has limited time with the 1,000 extras. However the location scouts report indicated the lighting quality at the beach was not good enough until the afternoon of the second day. This forced director Joe Wright to change his shooting strategy into shooting with one camera. The scene was rehearsed on the first day and on the morning of the second day. The scene required five takes and the third take was used in the film. On shooting, Steadicam operator Peter Robertson shot the scene by riding on a small tracking vehicle, walking off to a bandstand after rounding a boat, moved to a ramp, stepped onto a rickshaw, finally dismounting and moving past the pier into a bar.

Some inspiring and impressive footage-I'll have to go watch the film-long takes like that impress me to no end, takes some serious work to make it work IMO.

Back