• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Assisted Fishing free on Vimeo

My Vimeo Pro account has a couple of weeks left - and I don't feel it's worth it to renew as it costs $200 - and only generated $20 in sales.

For the remainder of it's time on Vimeo, I'm making my comedy feature "Assisted Fishing" free to view - click rent - then click "Have discount code?" - enter the word "free".
http://vimeo.com/ondemand/assistedfishing

The film was in 8 film festivals in 2012 - winning best comedy feature and best editing awards. Total cost to make was around $50,000.

If anyone watches and has questions about the production - post them here.

-Joe

Hey Joe,
You're the dude from that Western series right? The episodes I watched were hilarious. You were great in it.

I'm watching your film right now. If you can, could you kindly provide a rough breakdown of how the 50k was spent. Thank you.

You're a comic talent by the way. Your facial expressions and body language are just about perfect. Keep it up.

Best,
Aveek

Hey Joe,
You're the dude from that Western series right? The episodes I watched were hilarious. You were great in it.

I'm watching your film right now. If you can, could you kindly provide a rough breakdown of how the 50k was spent. Thank you.

You're a comic talent by the way. Your facial expressions and body language are just about perfect. Keep it up.

Best,
Aveek

You are referring to Derek Haugen - he's the lead actor in my film as well as the web series Tumbleweed. I'm the writer/director.

I'd have to go through all the receipts - but production costs were purchases of camera, lighting gear - as well as rentals. Location fees, production insurance, food - and pay for crew and actors who I didn't already know.
-Joe

Wow it sounds like vimeo did you no favors.
Did you have any better methods of online distribution?

So far Amazon createspace has sold the most - but its not really all that great either. The film is also on Distrify and Indieflix.

Hi Joe,

First, I want to let you know I liked Assisted Fishing. Thanks for sharing! It has an infectious energy that won me over despite its shortcomings. It reminded me of Caddyshack, Meatballs, and the comedies of that era. I also appreciated that it wasn't filled profanity and vulgar moments. I appreciate a man meat joke as much as the next guy but it's nice to be able watch something with your family. The review over at Film Threat nails it on the head.

I remember you posting about your film a year or so ago, but I also remember dismissing it. I think that's the biggest problem with your film. You have to make a leap of faith to watch it much less buy or rent it. It's the sort of film that needs to be on Netflix streaming or similar venue.

The poster art was mediocre. I never like cast photos as the DVD cover. The trailer is also problematic highlighting both the strengths and weaknesses of the movie. Both tip off potential viewers that this is indie low budget filmmaking. I have these questions.

(1) At any point, did you consider casting a name comedic actor in the lead role? Or was it simply out of the budget? Derek Haugen does a good job but in terms of marketing I think it would have made a world of difference.

(2) Has Assisted Fishing helped your career as a filmmaker? If so, in what way?

(3) What would you do differently in hindsight?

Hey Joe,
I watched it. I enjoyed it very much. You did a great job. Your actors were very likeable.

Derek Haugen is a comic genius. I'm happy for you that you've got someone like that in your arsenal.

Any lessons for the rest of us? What do you think was the flaw in the plan? While the movie doesn't 'look and feel' perfect, I feel like any studio could have picked it up and polished it. I'm working on a feature length project to be shot in end April/May. I'd appreciate any advice.

How're you changing your plans regarding marketing distribution of the next movie?

I'm sure you're very busy, but I'll take any answer or thought. Tumbleweed was fantastic :D. Your stuff is great.

Best,
Aveek

Edit: I just watched the last episode of Tumbleweed, and realized it was a different director. You did a good job with Assisted Fishing though. Congratulations on the Film.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

First, I want to let you know I liked Assisted Fishing. Thanks for sharing! It has an infectious energy that won me over despite its shortcomings. It reminded me of Caddyshack, Meatballs, and the comedies of that era. I also appreciated that it wasn't filled profanity and vulgar moments. I appreciate a man meat joke as much as the next guy but it's nice to be able watch something with your family. The review over at Film Threat nails it on the head.

I remember you posting about your film a year or so ago, but I also remember dismissing it. I think that's the biggest problem with your film. You have to make a leap of faith to watch it much less buy or rent it. It's the sort of film that needs to be on Netflix streaming or similar venue.

The poster art was mediocre. I never like cast photos as the DVD cover. The trailer is also problematic highlighting both the strengths and weaknesses of the movie. Both tip off potential viewers that this is indie low budget filmmaking. I have these questions.

(1) At any point, did you consider casting a name comedic actor in the lead role? Or was it simply out of the budget? Derek Haugen does a good job but in terms of marketing I think it would have made a world of difference.

(2) Has Assisted Fishing helped your career as a filmmaker? If so, in what way?

(3) What would you do differently in hindsight?

Glad you liked it.
To answer your questions:
1) A name actor would have been out of budget - but I agree, it would have helped with marketing. I think Jack Black would have been perfect for the role, but this was financed with my own money. I literally spent every dollar I had saved up. When I pitched the idea, Derek liked it - he was really the only one considered for the role.

2) It hasn't yet led to more directing jobs - which is my end goal. I'm also a writer and I think making this film has actually made me a better writer. I've worked on set in Hollywood for the last 20 years, so those doors were already open, but making this film was the most creatively rewarding experience of my life.

3) I'm not sure what I would do differently. I planned it out pretty well, had a great cast, and all the pieces fell into place. It was a lot of hard work - I did many of the jobs myself, and I don't think I will ever make a film with that low a budget again.

Any lessons for the rest of us? What do you think was the flaw in the plan? While the movie doesn't 'look and feel' perfect, I feel like any studio could have picked it up and polished it. I'm working on a feature length project to be shot in end April/May. I'd appreciate any advice.

How're you changing your plans regarding marketing distribution of the next movie?

The flaw in the plan was in making a film that doesn't have a target audience that can be easily reached online. Marketing is expensive, so if you can find a way to target your audience you'll get more bang for the buck. Also, I think comedies are a hard sell.

I learned a lot about marketing and distribution. If I get to make my next film, I will have a name actor and a more sell-able genre. Use these to presell some of the distribution rights. This raises money to make the film and guarantees distribution.

Back