Around $100 audio recorder.

I know $100 won't get me anything good, but after buying a brand new GH2 and spending near $1,00 on a new computer, my indie film start-up budget is just about spent. I was going to buy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R65MFO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3CLJYQ8X1E8Z4

With a Rode mic, but then it turned out I need a new computer to handle editing the GH2's videos. So now I have some cheap audio technica mic. I know if I get a decent sound recorder (as opposed to routing the mic straight into the camera), I'll get better audio, right? I'm not sure how good the on board audio on the GH2 is. In any case, I would prefer an external recorder for ease of use too. (The mic operator being able to go wherever etc...) So what I'm asking is if anybody here knows of a good $100 audio recorder, thanks.

How about $60 for a decent one, you can get acceptable sound w/ this...soo..Olympus VN8100PC recorder

No XLR so long cables are out, need a mic w/ 1/8" mini jack. You can get an extension cable for headphones to monitor it, so mount the mic directly into the recorder using the short cable.

Really need to spend $3 - 400 to just start getting into the good stuff...Can you hire a sound person ?

Last edited:
"Good" is subjective.

There are a number of recorders in the under $100 range. Depending upon the mic you may need adapters, etc. I prefer Tascam products - the DR-08, DR-05 are okay, and the Zoom H1 and H2 are widely used as well. The DR-100 (about $225 to $250) and has been superseded by the DR-100mkII ($300) which has significant improvements over the original.

Don't forget you'll need a boom-pole and some wind protection; depending upon the mic you may also need a shock mount. And, most important, a good set of headphones AND USE THEM. They aren't just an ornament.

Oh I know I need to not skip on sound equipment quality, but for right now, this is all I can afford.

I have a couple of DIY boom poles with a DIY shock mount with over-ear sennheiser headphones. The stock foam wind reducer (I want a blimp and a dead-cat) too.

Thanks IB, I'm sure that one will capture better audio (and give more mobility to the sound guy) than the on board audio capture on the camera.

does that olympus recorder have gain control? or does someone know of one at that price or under with at least mic/phone jacks and gain control? Or should I just keep running my mic into my Canon HF10?

@Alcove,

What do you think of the DR-40? I think it's pretty good. $150

I just got one. I like it MUCH better than the Zoom H4n. The best thing about the DR-40 is it records in "Dual Mode" where it records a second track at an adjustable level of -6db to -12db lower so any clipping is saved by a track recorded lower.

Thanks Indie,

Yeah - I am surprised I don't see it mentioned much on this site.

I have the idea that it's a great value for the money... 2 XLR inputs - possibly the cheapest battery recorder out there with XLR and phantom power.

So do you want to be a filmmaker or be a cinematographer?

If you want to be a cinematographer - find somebody with the audio.

If you want to be a filmmaker - i'd suggest to return the camera, get a cheap camera (~100 will work great), and spend 1000 on a mic and a recording device. Why?? watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYyxzqSfNGg

you can spend $100,000 on the camera. If your audio gear is $100 dollars - you're screwed.

I just got one. I like it MUCH better than the Zoom H4n. The best thing about the DR-40 is it records in "Dual Mode" where it records a second track at an adjustable level of -6db to -12db lower so any clipping is saved by a track recorded lower.

That feature can come in handy. I have a Marantz PMD661 with a similar feature. That is , you can plug a mic into one XLR and set the recorder to record in mono, with a second channel recording at -20 db below the main one. It has saved my butt a few times when sounds have gotten unexpectedly loud and clipped the main channel. The second channel can then be used as backup.

does the DR-40's 4-track feature trump the more expensive dr-100mkII's stereo-only? or did i miss something on the spec sheet of the 100mkII ?

The 100mkII is a 4 track. The DR-40 does slightly trump the 100mkII as the 40 has Dual Mode and the 100 not. I cannot say which has lower self noise, Im thinkng the 100 is better. But Im willing to say they are comparable.

From Tascam:

DR-100mkII
Distortion Less than 0.01%(XLR LINE 1 IN→LINE OUT, Fs44.1kHz, +24dBu input, JEITA)
S/N Ratio 92dB or more(XLR LINE 1 IN→LINE OUT, Fs44.1kHz, +24dBu input, JEITA)

DR-40
Total Harmonic Distortion Less than 0.05%(Fs 44.1/48/96kHz、EXT IN→LINE OUT)

S/N Ratio Greater than 92dB(Fs 44.1/48/96kHz、EXT IN→LINE OUT)

So how does the Tascam DR-05 compare with the DR-08, DR2D, DR-40 (Or the Zoom H1)?
I'm looking for one to use a lav with and just using the actual mic on the device itself when I can't boom.

So how does the Tascam DR-05 compare with the DR-08, DR2D, DR-40 (Or the Zoom H1)?
I'm looking for one to use a lav with and just using the actual mic on the device itself when I can't boom.

I use cheap Olympus VN8100 PC recorders for lavs and it is decent. The Zoom H1 looks good for single lave use to place directly on talent IMO because of the size and the off switch looks more concealed, lessening the chance of it being turned off during recording. The Yamaha POCKETRAK C24 looks better in the size dept IMO

Back