Are these good 16mm starting cameras when on a budget?

Hi everyone I am extremely new the the entire film making field. I recently became interested in 16mm film. I wanted to get an older low cost camera to play around with. I was thinking of a Bolex H-16 or a Krasnogorsk K3. What are your thoughts on both of those cameras? The Bolex comes with three lenses already mounted on the turret and is inexcellent shape. The Krasnogorsk comes with a few filters, pistol grip, shoulder stalk, stop motion trigger chord, leather case and instruction manual. From what I have read it seems the Bolex is pretty popular and quite a few people shoot with them. I like that it comes with three lenses. They could come in handy for dirrent shots. On the Krasnogorsk I have heard that the lens is a higher quality and thus produces sharper images. Know anything about that? I do like all the accessories that come with it. Btw both cameras come with traveling cases. Any advice or suggestions would be wonderful. Yes I know shooting film is expensive but thats why I wanted to start very small and cheap to experiment with. I would love to get a Arriflex SRIII but that is a maybe way way down the road lol.

Thanks guys!
Paul Kepner

K3's a pretty popular windup, if you get a good one. Some friends of mine bought two of 'em "new". One broke within a week; the other's still kickin'. Very easy to use.

Dunno about the Bolex-H16 personally, but Bolex is a very legit brand.

Back