Are any of you making a living in film/video?

I'm working on a project and need to know if any of you are making a living with film. I'd like to have representatives from both within the system and outside the system.

So they're like tutorial videos? a bit like that expert village on youtube

Well, sort of. Much more in depth. Not something that you can find in a book or on the internet, but short answer is yes, they are tutorial. Think of them like an employee manual in video form.

Many of the people that bought those videos were owners of large companies that wanted to use them for training videos for their employees. It wouldn't be hard to market your video skills to business owners with this in mind. It cuts their in the field training down which in turn saves them money. In this economy, everybody is looking to save some money. If they could hire a good "indie film maker" to do some really good work for a reasonable price, I think a lot of business owners would jump at the chance.

I also think it would be a simple project for some of you guys with the skills you have. It's not exactly what you got into film for, but it would sharpen your skills with lighting, sound, camera angels and such, right? Plus, you could make some money until you get that chance to do what you were born to do ;)

Yep, film and television pay my morgage and is sending one to college with one to join her in a year. I've been freelance soundmixer/ cameraman/ editor since 1996. Don't think I could ever do a 9 to 5 again.

I worked part time at a restaurant till they went with another agency and I was laid off... Plus the employers lied about me...
But I make some good money doing production with my production company.

I also do DJing, so that's apart of it.
(About to see if I can record a high schools football game, cause one company just doesn't know their stuff. The color of the picture is horrible, brightness is not good, and there is little or no sound.
They also do photography, and a few people said they're no good.)

I've made a living at it for more than 20 years. Peaks and vallies. I found with the birth of every one of my children I required a 5-figure raise so we moved quite a bit in the early daze. I moved my family to five states in as many years at one point just salary-climbin' and dream-chasin'.
Bottom line.. be ready to do whatever it takes. You'll start at little to nothing and can easily work your way into a six figure salary within a decade if you focus. You'll have no limits once you go out on your own but don't do that until staffing then freelancing for several years. You'll need the savvy and the clientele following.

for at least a decade, imo. Then freelance for at least five years. If one still wants to start their own company after that, they'll have the savvy and the clientele to do it.

Internships/minimum wage is how we all got started though. My first job paid 3.35 an hour and my first salary paid less than that after the 70 hour work weeks. Never once did I feel exploited though. I was learning more making a little bit of money actually working nt he industry than I ever did paying money to go to college. I simply gave myself 5 figure raises each year as needed.
Nobody hets into this industry for the money. If it's not for the passion, it's a very temporary venture.

They sure had better LOVE it. People who want to work in this business should consider the struggle before investing the time learning. I thought it was comical that the Craig's List job employer preferred someone with a 4 year degree for their $8 an hour job. LOL

I find it comical that some get some kind of degree thinking that will impress somebody in the industry in some way then expect a six figure salary with no experience. People will start at little to nothing in this industry no matter how many years they spent having fun in school. If money is the motivator, there are lots of high-paying jobs out there that only require the clipping on of a tie... no passion required. To venture into a six-figure income in this field, dues will have to be paid and that is in the form of working for very little for a very long time.

Back