Anybody else jazzed about "Super 8"?

For a brief moment in the trailer, you can see Abrams and Spielberg give a shout-out to Lucas. I guess it's actually just an accurate representation of what a young boy would have hanging from his ceiling, in 1979. Nevertheless, I think it's a nice touch.

super+8+tiefighter.bmp

Yep! This looks like a nice throwback to earlier Spielberg films and others along similar lines like The Goonies, Stand By Me. I'm guessing it won't disappoint.

Yep! This looks like a nice throwback to earlier Spielberg films and others along similar lines like The Goonies, Stand By Me. I'm guessing it won't disappoint.

I'm hearing pretty average things about this movie.

That said I saw the trailer in the theatre for the first time the other day and it looked pretty good. I'm a sucker for an old fashioned adventure movie, so hopefully this is better than early reviews are suggesting...

I'm hearing pretty average things about this movie.

I tend to trust the tomatoemeter, and it's currently got an 83% (though, movies like this tend to start high, so it might finish in the 70s). So, yeah, that would be average, or slightly better than.

So, maybe I lower my previous expectations that it will be the movie of the year, and instead just hope for a fun time. That's fine.

But what really jazzes me about this movie is that it's a throwback. Based on everything I read, it sounds like Abrams did a fine job impersonating 1980's Spielbergian Family Adventure. That sounds pretty alright to me.

This is absolutely one film I'll be hitting the theaters for. And now that I'm in the USA for a few months (on vacation from my workplace in the Sudan), I can actually watch movies in theaters without worrying that a bomb will blow up before the credits roll...

I tend to trust the tomatoemeter, and it's currently got an 83% (though, movies like this tend to start high, so it might finish in the 70s). So, yeah, that would be average, or slightly better than.

I trust it too and I thought that in the 80s percentage wise was pretty hot, but if you read the reviews they pretty much all say 'Not as good as the movie that Spielberg would've made'...

I'm still going to go see it, but, coming from me, that isn't saying much :D

Okay, did nobody notice the freaking tie-fighter? Am I the only person who thinks that's awesome?

LastChancey, I hope you enjoy your vacation. Which part of the country are you in?

Going to see this tomorrow night at 10 at the Arc Light.

Have some friends going to watch it tonight at 8

Definitely been looking forward to it for some time.

Yeah, totally noticed the Tie Fighter. I love movies that are homages to other genres or eras of film. This should be a pretty legit theater experience.

LastChancey, I hope you enjoy your vacation. Which part of the country are you in?

Thanks, man. I'm developing an unhealthy fixation on hamburgers, but also working on completing a few fun video side-projects for myself AND a nicely paid corporate video gig. And as to where I'm at in Sudan, I'm not supposed to discuss it! ;) Thanks for the interest, though.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_super8

"One of the fights we've had about selling the movie is how much do we tell? What do we show?" Abrams told Reuters. "There's a feeling of 'Well, if they don't know it, then you gotta show them everything so they understand it before they see it.'

"My feeling is that if you show them everything, they won't want to go see it, so there's a battle internally," he said.

Back