Any USC (or other prestigious film school) grads willing to shed some light on this?

I'll be graduating high school soon; I'm a 17 year old female, in my junior year. My parents aren't exactly loaded, and the "college talk" is stressful because they have not one, but two kids to be sending off to school at the same time (my identical twin sister and I). I haven't had the heart to tell them I don't want to go to college. At least not for two years after graduation; I'd like to try my hand at filmmaking on my own at first, and go to college for something more practical when I'm older

Although I'm pretty confident in my decision, a small part of me is still torn. I was reading on this other forum how a current USC student was gushing about his phenomenal experience at USC; awesome faculty, outstanding material, a beautiful scenery. He made it seem like film school was the only option; an experience that would be devastating to miss out on. Then, with a bit of digging, I found a similar article by a USC grad that was (admittedly) a bit more pessimistic. He spoke about how the first thing his class heard when they came to the campus was some exhilarating pep-talk/speech about how they're "the future Lucas's and spielberg's" of America. He said the wakeup after graduation was hard

Basically, I was wondering if some graduates of USC (or any other prestigious film school) could answer a few questions

- was the environment really all it's cracked up to be?
- with motivation, how much of the course material do you think you could have leaned on your own?
- what were some aspects of said college that you couldn't/can't find anywhere else? (aka, out there in "the real world")
- finally, was it hard to leave the environment of the school? Did it feel like you were leaving somewhere bright and cheerful and entering the drab "real world" (I ask because I don't want to go to college, have an amazing experience, and then experience a crushing letdown when it's over and all I'm left with is student loan debt and nostalgia)

Thanks for any partial or full answers. I know crappy cheap film schools should be avoided, but I'm curious as to whether or not the "real" grand experience of a grade A film school is still worth it in this day and age, regardless of any cons. Thanks again :)

Yes and no.

- with motivation, how much of the course material do you think you could have leaned on your own?

Everyone could have learnt all the material on their own. Some of it was repetition, some of it (in that time) was access to materials and equipment. These days, equipment to learn with is so cheap and film school now days costs so much more that this practically becomes a moot point.

- what were some aspects of said college that you couldn't/can't find anywhere else? (aka, out there in "the real world")

Molly coddling is something that you don't usually get in the real world. Then again, my film teacher was a grumpy old sod, god bless his heart.

- finally, was it hard to leave the environment of the school? Did it feel like you were leaving somewhere bright and cheerful and entering the drab "real world" (I ask because I don't want to go to college, have an amazing experience, and then experience a crushing letdown when it's over and all I'm left with is student loan debt and nostalgia)

I went to film school a long time ago. I was rather young when I went. I wasted a chunk of the experience and opportunity, though I didn't really have a goal back then. One big thing is I wasn't loaded with debt after it. Film school was rather cheap when I went, I think the whole thing was under $6k not including project costs.

From Film School, you really get what you put into it. Have a goal going in. Define success for you and work out your path to achieve that success. Film school will only help you with the basics of learning. Whether you become a success has little to do with the grades, it's what you do with your opportunity.

Should you go to film school or use that money to produce your own movie? That's a matter of debate. I personally don't see the argument as that simple. On one hand, going to film school isn't necessarily going to land you a job at the end of it. The fact is most film students that graduate are useless and wouldn't survive their first day on a real film set. On the other hand, taking the path of making a movie instead, it's unlikely that you're going to know what to do to produce a successful film. If you're lucky, you'll learn some lessons on what not to do and then be broke.

What is your best option? Yeah, that's a great question and when I know the answer, I'll share it. I'm still a nobody, newb filmmaker.... and it's different for everyone. What would work for me, probably won't work for you. Your experience and access to resources (and even geographical differences) could drastically change what will work best for you.

Have fun! Learn to laugh in this business, because if you don't, you'll probably be crying instead.

I spent three years at a film school here in Melbourne. I also spent a Summer (well, Australian winter ;)) at USC, so I can talk broadly about film school, and also a tad more specifically about USC.

I was enamoured with USC. It was beautiful - incredible grounds, gorgeous buildings. It's these kinds of schools that don't really exist in Australia. We have some largish universities, but nothing on a similar scale to USC, certainly not lots of them across the country like in the US.

IIRC, there were 4-6 soundstages plus a basement level with post facilities and a top level with classrooms and screening rooms. On top of that they have some beautiful screening rooms and theatres.

Each soundstage is a proper soundstage. It really did feel like the mini-Hollywood that many say it is. Back home our 'studio' was essentially a large garage retro-fitted to be a studio.

I was only there for two months, but I found myself wishing I could stick around for longer.

I personally believe I learned more during my two months at USC than I did during my three years at film school here. That said, I believe the summer courses are a bit more intensive than the full time course. As well, the summer course was focussed solely on Cinematography, which I had figured out by that point is what I wanted to do. Conversely, film school back home gave me a broader understanding of the entire process of filmmaking.

At USC, we were shooting every weekend. We were experimenting with lights on the soundstage, natural lighting outside the school grounds.
There's some awesome facilities.

There's nothing that you learn at film school that cannot be learned other ways. Nothing. However, at film school, you learn them a lot quicker, and you get a much broader sense of the production process. Having been to film school, I now know the basics of 1st ADing, or Producing etc. and could probably pull of those roles relatively successfully on a lower budget film if I wanted to. If I hadn't gone to film school, I probably would need to shadow someone more experienced than I at those roles before being able to undertake them, even on a small scale.

The one benefit you get out of film school is being able to experiment with the biggest consequence being you fail. If you flash a mag, or completely over or under-expose your shots, or put the light in the wrong spot, or accidentally frame in something you shouldn't...

It doesn't really matter. You're not going to get fired. Your reputation is not in jeopardy. You might get a worse mark, you might fail.

Really, the major thing that you get at film school that it's a lot more difficult to get elsewhere is: connections and access to equipment.

My old film school now owns two full Alexa kits, two RED Epics, an Arri 435 (35mm), 4 Arri SR3's(S16mm), an Aaton XTR, and has deals with rental houses to loan an Aaton Penelope for a few weeks.
On top of that, they have top of the line sound gear, and thousands and thousands of dollars worth of lighting and grip equipment.

They also have a colour suite and post labs. A 'rival' film school even has a full mixing stage for sound post.

You could easily shoot an entire feature with similar equipment to a big Hollywood film if you were able to borrow everything at once.

In terms of connections - many of those you go to school with will end up doing nothing, or take a job in a completely different career track because they realise that film isn't going to make them money as quickly as they wanted.

But, if you associate with the right people, and prove you're good enough - suddenly those you went to film school with are shooting a $2million feature that they'd love you to AC or Gaffer or edit etc.

Many of my film school friends started production companies right out of film school, which were only doing low-budget stuff at the start, but are now producing stuff with a decent budget.

On top of that, I've gotten calls from Directors or DPs who I've never met before because a friend of mine from film school recommended me to them. In fact, I started getting paid work based on one recommendation from a guy I went to film school with.

I found the harsh reality a difficult adjustment. I know many of the more prestigious film schools build internships into their curriculum, or at least help you find work somewhere. Mine didn't. It was more like a 'cool, thanks for stopping by for the past three years. Seeya.'

However, I was able to relatively quickly find paid work based on the people I'd met, and the experience I'd gotten through film school. I left film school with a showreel full of stuff shot on quite high quality formats (including a bunch of film) - something I definitely would not have had I spent three years working my way up as a Camera Assistant.
I also left with the experience and knowledge of working on a set. I knew how to set up a C-Stand, how to prep a camera, how to set up and rig lights etc.

So I was a much safer bet, and able to impress more than if I had not done any training and simply attempted to PA or camera intern.
I could be trusted with loading film, or loading data, or focus pulling, because I'd done it before and had proven that I could do it. Out of high school, I knew nothing and I would have been more of a liability.

Also, because I made friends with those in the year levels below me, I was able to continue shooting their graduate films for a while, using the school's Epics and Alexa's - had I not gone to film school, I don't know if I'd have ever had the chance to actually shoot (as opposed to simply ACing) on Alexa or Epic or 35mm.

Honestly, it's film school that even got me interested in the Camera Dept. - had I not gone I might have ended up attempting to become an editor or work in sound post (which are probably a more stable income than a freelance Cinematographer or Camera Assistant, if I'm being quite honest ;)).

At the end of the day, it's something really personal - film school is great, and in fact better than any other option for some people. For others it's simply not worth it. I worked for a DP who spent 3 months at film school before he quit, bought some equipment and booked himself onto a feature. He eventually bought a truck and filled it with lights and grip gear, and hired himself out as a Gaffer/Grip, then he bought a RED and started shooting. He's now quite an accomplished DP and shoots some great stuff. He still asks me to AC for him when he has the budget to.

Another friend of mine is currently shooting high budget television commercials - he did a three year bachelor and then an extra honours year at the same film school. Conversely, I know another guy shooting high budget music videos and TVCs who spent exactly a year and a half (exactly half the course) at film school before quitting.

You really get out what you put in. If you do go to film school make the most of it. It's kinda easy to skate by and do the minimal work necessary and just pass - but if you actually want to get something out of it, work hard, crew on any set you possibly can and learn as much as possible.

It also depends on the film school you go to.

Have fun! Learn to laugh in this business, because if you don't, you'll probably be crying instead.
Haha, definitely this ;)

You could also major in something else and minor in film. Or you cold do a graduate course in filmmaking after getting a barchelor's degree in something else if you are then still into filmmaking.

You've got the right idea.

It is a much better thing to go and make real movies right now. Even if you do end up being pulled into the gravity of school, you will find the resources therein ten times more useful with a couple features under your belt (as well as be able to call out the bs w/ your common sense experience). The ways the mind works (...)

As an indie filmmaker, your intuition and young passion is not immutable - it can be distorted or disappear altogether. One goes to film school to be told how so very difficult every little element is and to check passion at the door, because of course there is no place for such kid-like passion when facing tasks so painful and burdensome (....) One must be taught how to do things properly by those who have governed their lives by this narrative.

If filmmaking is not weightless and fun - then it is not filmmaking*

The technical bits can seem daunting at first, but as Rodriguez was fond of saying - 'all the practical knowledge you need to get going can be learned in a week.' And the rest follows. In retrospect, the tech bits are cake - its keeping the clarity of vision through that (& not selling it up the river at the altar of 'knowledgeable superiors') that is the trick.

Back