Any success wih facebook or google ads?

I'm wondering how effective these ads are. I'm selling my film "Assisted Fishing" on Blu-Ray and DVD from the website. I've been running several different ads on facebook for a few days now - their stats say i've had over a million impressions and 112 clicks - but no sales resulted from this. The cost has only been around $40, so I guess that's cheap in the advertising world. I'm wondering how this compares to other people's experience.

I'm trying Google ads next...

Thanks,
Joe
writer/director/producer of "Assisted Fishing"
www.assistedfishing.net

It really says nothing about it. The process of going from "what did the guy I'm stalking eat for lunch today" to "hey I should buy a truck" is very different than the leap to "hey I should buy this movie about stalking people".

So the first question, before you go to either platform, is who is your target audience?

what movies and other types of content do they like?

After that, are you driving them to a website or your facebook page? If you are active and post a lot on fb, then that should probably be the first spot (you can also get a better rate). Engage the audience there. If not, then the site has to grab them. Your trailer felt long and random. Maybe something a bit more concise?

Is there some other complete form of content you can show your audience? A short in the same mold as the feature?

On a general note, Facebook advertising allows you to get very granular on who you show the ad to and what your conversion rates are. I also think this is "better" traffic then what you get from Google ads. Site bounce rates always seemed a lot higher with google adwords vs. facebook. As in the going from a bounce rate of 10% with facebook ads to 80% with google ads. That is wasted money.

* These comments are not related to selling movies, just other experience with these tools.

I know someone who only made like a hundred bucks off of about 35,000 YouTube video views and resulting Google AdSense clicks.
I'm not sure if Google AdSense ads are any more profitable than Amazon Associates ad banners.

I've been running several different ads on facebook for a few days now - their stats say i've had over a million impressions and 112 clicks - but no sales resulted from this.

I'd say that indicates a couple possible issues:

1. You're not being targeted enough in your keywords/demographics. A million people saw your ad, and basically a million people decided it wasn't for them, so on the whole you're not hitting the right audience. You want to find a way to narrow the impressions down to a smaller group who is more likely to be interested in your specific film's topic. So on FB you don't just want to hit people who like films, or comedies, or anything general like that. You want to identify films that are similar to yours in terms of humor, and then target people who 'liked' those specific films.

2. Your ad isn't getting the attention of the people who would be interested in the film. A million people saw your ad, but the ones who are interested didn't know it because the ad didn't properly convey what the film is about or why they would be interested. What you want to do is run a/b testing with two or more completely different ads - then take the one that performs best after a few days or a week (depending on the level of clicks you are getting) and do additional a/b testing on variations of that ad.

It's likely some combination of the two. In either case, it really comes down to testing, testing, testing. Run short cheap test campaigns to get yourself the information you need to decide what's working and what isn't. Then as you start to identify the ads and keywords that work best for you you can start upping the budget to take advantage of them.

Back