Any one know where to get squibs?

Bulk stage blood can be purchased at most any make-up supply place. You can even make it yourself.

A typical recipe:
Clear corn syrup (Karo is one brand name)
Water
Red food color
Blue food color

Do several tests to find out the mixture you like best - it usually takes only a drop or two of blue per quart. I use black coffee rather than water to thin the syrup and make it more opaque.

Add a little photoflo (from Kodak) so it doesn't bead up as much. But not if you're using it in an actors mouth! Add a little liquid dish washing soap to make it stain less.

A squib is an explosive. You must be licensed to buy them.

Squibs... hmmm very diffiuclt these days. Blood is easy (for bulk mix red food colouring, chocolate syrup and wahsing up liquid - I don't suggest drinking it but it looks amazing).

As for explosives... days are gone when anyone could buy these. You'll need a license and I would suggest NEVER doing a squib shoot without a pro who know sthere stuff. If you can find one of them then they will be able to get the bangs or you.

Alternatively gun shots can be created by CGI very easily if again you can find teh right person!

Phil Hobden
edit: Ad removed. Please stop advertising your film in every post.

If doing the corn syrup blood, add a little non-dairy creamer powder or something else to make it more opaque. Play around, see what works for you. The Ben Nye stuff isn't bad, although the mint flavor is a bit much for me.

You can do air pressure squibs- there's plenty of tutorials online for doing that. A bit limited in that they can't blow through costume, so there has to be a small hole already there, but it can be effective, it's super cheap, no insurance headaches like you can have with pyro squibs, and it's safe. Squibs can be less safe, can only legally be purchased or made by someone with a pyro license, and the homemade squibs I've seen or worked with in the past are often too sparky or smokey to be just right for body hits.

A good way with the air pressure ones to get it to go through clothing is to score the cloth so it can push through. Just take a box cutter and cut two lines to form a 'X' right over where the blood is going to come out. That way there isn't a noticeable hole in the clothing before the time of impact.

A bit more subtle than a squib, but in the film Gorky Park when Alexi Sayle's character is shot in the head, they just blew a piece of 'blood' soaked tissue at his head using a straw, and at the same time blasted the wall behind him with 'blood' splater, very effective.

Apparently they had tried squibs under make up, but Alexi's reaction to having a small explosion go off on his head was a liitle to extreme to say the least.

Last edited:
Back