Another newbie dreaming of doing movies

I'm 18. I am a electronic music producer & guitar player. And now I want to try something new, I want to make movies.

I just want to know some tips and maybe if some one can guide me to good tutorials, tips of what is involved in a production. What gear to use and how etc..

Im sorry for the lack of detail but its really hard to express myself with this shitty english

Cracker Funk is right. The best place to start is books. Not many people realize it, but it is basically impossible to find a lot of important information on the internet. I like The Filmmaker's Handbook.

Cracker Funk is right. The best place to start is books. Not many people realize it, but it is basically impossible to find a lot of important information on the internet. I like The Filmmaker's Handbook.

It's there alright, just not always as easy to find as you'd think and mixed in with lots of not so good advice and uninformed opinions. The great thing about starting off with books is that the useful information has been compiled into a format suitable for a particular level of experience, but for reading about new gear and finding answers to very specific questions, the internet will beat any book. Although its focus is on action films, I have only good things to say about The DV Rebel's Guide as a general beginner's book - worth it just for the section on post-production workflow.

Here are some great books that I have picked up over the last few weeks that help a great deal:
-Guerilla Filmmaker's Pocketbook
-Filmmaking For Teens (breaks down everything in easy-to-understand detail)
-Production Assistant: Getting It Done (gives you detailed insight into being a P.A. on-set, which is where most people start out).

Just cruise around the TV/Film/Media section of your library or bookstore and you'll find all this and more, books help ALOT.

Back