• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Angry Shadow Effect

not sure if any of you has ever done this, but here goes a shot in the dark.
i have a client that wants a shot of him in a desk sitting frustrated. Then his shadow is casted to the back wall. he stays sitting on his desk looking down in depression, but his shadow takes a mind of his own.

so one shot oh him on his desk...
and a second shot (same shot) but him off camera with a spot light casting the shadow??

or would it be easier to just use a green screen and use him as his own shadow?

another question. a pan with multiple shots in that pan... does that effect have a name?

I'm thinking green screening him acting out what the shadow is doing. Then composite in after effects, turning the green screened footage of him, into a black silhouette. With some tweaking, could make a nice shadow. Only issue I can think of, is if the area behind him isn't a flat wall. The shadow would have to contour to the objects on the wall.

i was thinking about that myself.. but.. perhapse i could make 3d layers and mask the shadow around the paintings ect to resemple a realife shadow type of thing..

It could be done. Having thought about it for a little bit. I'm thinking if you put the shadow on multiple layers, you could use masking to create the illusion that is forming around the wall objects. I don't know of that makes sense, in the way I've described it. But you'd be able to control those parts that would need manipulating.

I think it could be done, and done very convincingly.

Back