Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like "Avatar"?

Honestly, everyone I meet loves that movie. Its just a moneymaking scheme. They're re-releasing it in August, and making a sequel to get even MORE money. Can someone make me feel better by saying that they at least didn't like "Avatar" a little bit?

Nope I also join yu
padma

Our technology and our mental abilities are a product of our evolved/mutated genes...by this thinking we are VASTLY more 'successful' than any other species in existence.

Our sentience, and our ability to adapt, teach, share, trade and invent is astounding.

The world could fall into ice age, and if we have the time to make it work, we could build bio spheres and shelters that would keep many of us alive--yes, a lot would die, but we would still live on. Other species would not be able to survive unless ice was their habitat.

Also, there isn't a single species that could kill me if I had a machine gun. Again, our technology is an extension of our evolution.

There are amazing designs out there, alligator, mosquito, etc...but our minds surpass all of that. Our mind is the peak evolutionary route that mutation has taken. Currently, the human mind (and its sentience) is the most profound thing evolution has given the known Universe.

You can't do a human vs. dinosaur argument...time has changed, and so has our species. We would survive though...there's no doubt about it--as long as you don't use an overweight midwesterner as a sample.

lol.

Last edited:
VO in the film or for the trailer/commercial? I don't see how using his voice in a film is a gimmik. He's an actor.

VO is a gimmick. If you can use a blanket statement like '3D is a gimmick', then I can justifiably say VO is a gimmick. ;)

If handled properly, considered from the beginning of the project, and used as a tool to lure the viewer into the world of the film, then it's not a gimmick.

Avatar's 3D was a tool, which was used artfully and with full consideration into the world...and it did an amazing job.

Step Up 3D uses the technology as a gimmick, and is thrown together at the last minute with minimal skill and vision. Huge difference.

Last edited:
Also, UP in 3D was amazing. Was using 3D in a 3D movie a gimmick also? Just curious your thoughts on that one...wait wait CGI in general is a gimmick...got it. Damn...Lord of the Rings was so gimmicky.

Ya, that's hilarious ROC...Avatar looks great in 2D also...give it a try. lol.

please. tell me you are joking.

Would it re-affirm your faith in humanity if I pretended I was joking?

C'mon, now. I thought you and I spoke a common language.

I dare you. Start a thread bashing "Step Up 3D". I'll get all Jerry Springer up on yo' ass!

Wait a minute. Has that movie even been released yet?

would it re-affirm my faith in humanity if you pretended? probably not.

as for the release, it comes out here this month i believe.

and now you have given me an idea which will make me millions. ready for this?

jerry springer

D

millions i say, MILLIONS!!! *maniacal laugh*

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have the feeling that you don't quite understand what I'm trying to say.

There is no way to possibly and reasonably delineate betweet art and technical mastery. IT'S ALL ART!
speaking of subjective judgements...
EXACTLY! That's exactly my point. Creativity cannot be quantified. Nor can artistic quality. YOU can say that something is really artistic, while something else is just technically proficient, but that is of course 100% subjective opinion.

You focus too much on how much work or effort someone put into creating something, but pieces of art don't depend on that alone.
"Art" is not a quality feature. And my ideas on how to differentiate between "entertainment" and art are not a value judgement.
Still, "solving" this problem by saying: "it's all art, it doesn't matter whether we talk about Half Baked or Battleship Potemkin" is simply lazy (for the lack of a better word).
The characteristics that I proposed to "define" art are independent from technical proficiency.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have the feeling that you don't quite understand what I'm trying to say.

speaking of subjective judgements...

You focus too much on how much work or effort someone put into creating something, but pieces of art don't depend on that alone.
"Art" is not a quality feature. And my ideas on how to differentiate between "entertainment" and art are not a value judgement.
Still, "solving" this problem by saying: "it's all art, it doesn't matter whether we talk about Half Baked or Battleship Potemkin" is simply lazy (for the lack of a better word).
The characteristics that I proposed to "define" art are independent from technical proficiency.

Oh, man, I'm so done with that. I'm kinda busy with some very last-minute pre-production, and I think we pretty much FUBAR'd that debate. The train has derailed; let's just leave it where it is. Cheers to ya. :)

Back