Alternative to Davinci resolve?

Well having spent all day trying to get davinci resolve lite to work properly I have come to the conclusion my laptop just isn't upto the task.

I have a macbook pro with 8gb of ram but Davinci constantly freezes and tells me my gpu memory is full,making colour grading nigh on impossible.

Is there some alternative software I can use that is user friendly and will run nicer on my machine?

Cheers.

I'm tempted to see if I can upgrade the RAM on my MBP again,its currently at 8gb which I thought would be enough but obviously not.If I can get it upto 16 then surely it will run resolve without issue.

What model of MBP are you running?

There are many alternatives to Resolve, few of which are free.

Keep in mind: Resolve is designed for serious, professional colourists to run on ideally a dedicated machine designed for it.
The free version is simply limited slightly in its available output resolutions - the idea being that those who are serious about becoming colourists can learn on their system and when they're at a professional level and have the money and need to upgrade, they wil invest in the paid versions of Resolve (stick with what you know).
It's not designed as a simple/easy version designe for everyone to run for a bit of fun and to make their films look better.

IOW: If your computer can't run Resolve, there's probably not much else that's similar that it's going to run.

Ok just checked my MBP specs again and noticed it's only running 256mb of VRAM on the NVIDIA chip.

That gonna be my problem?

Probably, all the cards they list I think came with 512MB minimum, some with muchmore:

ATI Radeon HD 5770
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
NVIDIA GTX 570

CraigL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5hxHupoMI

There's a bunch of how to color tutorials out there on youtube that go over the different parts of the program. I really like the ones by AppleShakeGuru.

I've spent an inordinate amount of time cruising through youtube finding tutorials on how to use / do everything end to end as a filmmaker... head full of the stuff. I've also practiced it all to make it practical knowledge.

HitFilm also has quite extensive grading capabilities, and a pretty decent price for the standard version. Also, quite a few VFX possibilities and some tracking thrown in.

They are also GPU driven though, but you can give the demo a try and see.

CraigL

I tend to use MagicBullet's Looks/Colourista II/Mojo most of the time as they are easy to use, and I can quickly get the look I want pretty quick (not crazy huge pushes).

I also have Adobe SpeedGrade (Haven't tried it) and Davinci but they are mostly unused as the process is more complicate and MB's software generally gets me where I want to go.

Cheers folks.I am now having some luck with Apple Color.Its a royal PITA to use seeing as you can't resize the windows and I am using a one screen setup, but its better than nothing.

It's really powerful, it just takes time to figure out the tools available to you. Glad you're having success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI4bqov91fw

Youtube tutorials are like a giant rabbit hole... just keep clickin on the related videos and you'll never run out of new stuff... eventually, you have to stop and apply what you've learned though ;)

Cheers Knightly.At the moment the biggest hindrance is the single screen issue which means either clicking between the 2 separate windows or offsetting them so the parts I need most on each are visible,but the software itself is running without too much lag and from the hour or so play I have had with it seems very good.I am lost as to what I am doing but as you said,youtube tutorials are a way to take 8 hours of your day.

With your folks help I will get there I'm sure.

Back