Alaska themed films, prep for a shoot...

Looking to start testing, finding locations, and shooting a short this winter here in the Adirondacks of NY... But, I am doing a story set in Alaska. Any thoughts on films about Alaska? Outdoors, in the wilderness, on a pond or lake. Not too much snow but in spring or fall, still freezing cold out... Wanting to see some lighting, camera angles, and location ideas. It plays in my head already but if I see something I like can I ask y'all how it was achieved? I also just thought about cold camera's. Do I need to worry? Glide tracks get sticky/slower with the cold I assume, any way around that or just keep it in the truck until ready to shoot? Hoping to test shoot some stuff to get fully accustomed to the camera, using a higher end point and shoot to test with but planning on the DSLR and some other stuff when I reach my initial budget goal of $1500 in the next month and a half. Should be over half way there by next Friday.:)

Check out 'Into the Wild'. A good movie with good cinematography. I've haven't shot a film in the snow yet, let alone in Alaska, but I'd imagine lighting will be difficult with all that bright, white, and reflective snow.
Then again you could use that to your advantage.

I love the Adirondacks. :cool:

if I see something I like can I ask y'all how it was achieved?

Sure.

just keep it in the truck until ready to shoot?

Pretty sure that you'll run into moisture or condensation issues, if there's a big tempereature differential to rapidly accomodate for.

The Grey? is it worth seeing? Any others?

What kind of film suggestions are you looking for? Just 'cos a film is set in Alaska doesn't make it a film about Alaska. What is your film about?

Having said that... Grizzly Man is a must-see documentary that happens to take place in Alaska. The based-on-true-events film Alive deals with survival in snowy areas far away from Alaska. Maybe you'd dig that too.

What are you looking for? :hmm:

My dad's story is about 2 moose hunts that left him stranded in the wild for 5 days.. in a 3 week period. That's twice in 3 weeks... It's not a documentary but not a horror... an adventure drama? I'm wanting to fluff it up a little but stay as close as I can. Making it for my kids and nieces/nephews so they have something of grandpa to look back on. I have a newspaper clipping mounted on plywood about my grandfather I got from my dad, and this will be for them from me.

I love the Adirondacks.

Pretty sure that you'll run into moisture or condensation issues, if there's a big tempereature differential to rapidly accomodate for.

What is your film about?

What kind of film suggestions are you looking for?

What are you looking for? :hmm:

Thanks for the tips. I will keep the temp.s in mind, i heard the lenses like to adjust as well...
Those movies are good suggestions, just wanting to see lighting and camera work in snowy environments. Also looking for aerial scenes over ponds or pine forests to see the way the trees look at different speeds. My friends have a Longeasy airplane and not sure what the slowest speed it can fly...

30 Days of Night is a vampire film set in northern Alaska. It is worth watching at least once I think.

And The Grey was an amazing movie, no question. Highly recommend it.

Get weather sealed equipment and bring back up cameras, storage, probably two of everything.

Ouch to the weather sealed cameras... Working with an SX50HS and soon a T4i... Maybe should skip lenses and get a used 5D markII? What's the absolute cheapest lens worth filming with?

Well said, and understood... So what's the cheapest lens worth shooting video with? That goes with this scenario of course...

If people see cheap and don't like the word...
What's the least expensive weather-proof lens able to accomplish a cinematic look as an "only lens for now" going to cost these days?

Back